2022 Coaching Candidates

BroncoBruin

5 minutes ago, germ-x said:

That’s my issue.  He’s the only one with any of that and has basically been tabbed the coach before the interview process even started.  

I don’t have an issue with Quinn.  Think he’d be a great hire but this situation or at least how it has been presented rubs me the wrong way.  Very similar to Denver’s training camp QB “competition” which we all know wasn’t really a competition.  Paton and company have presented finding a coach as if they’ll turnover every stone and it’s becoming apparent this coaching “search” really wasn’t a search at all.  

I disagree with this part. They started this search last year. It’s been obvious that they have been doing their research all season (one of the “insiders” made a comment about them cutting from 20 to 10 candidates right before they extended interviews.) Have they had internal rankings from the start? Of course. Does that mean that the search was a farce? Not at all. Sometimes your due diligence only serves to justify your gut reaction. 

going into the 1997 CFB season Peyton Manning was far and away the leader of every big board for the 98 draft. Does Indys selection of him nearly a year later mean that they didn’t really look into him?

I get that as a franchise we have been burnt in the past in terms of coaching searches being pre-determined (especially the Kubiak and Vance hires) but this one feels different, namely in that Ellis doesn’t seem to be involved. If Quinn is the hire (and I feel that he should be) it doesn’t mean that the search was not genuine.  

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

I disagree with this part. They started this search last year. It’s been obvious that they have been doing their research all season (one of the “insiders” made a comment about them cutting from 20 to 10 candidates right before they extended interviews.) Have they had internal rankings from the start? Of course. Does that mean that the search was a farce? Not at all. Sometimes your due diligence only serves to justify your gut reaction. 

going into the 1997 CFB season Peyton Manning was far and away the leader of every big board for the 98 draft. Does Indys selection of him nearly a year later mean that they didn’t really look into him?

I get that as a franchise we have been burnt in the past in terms of coaching searches being pre-determined (especially the Kubiak and Vance hires) but this one feels different, namely in that Ellis doesn’t seem to be involved. If Quinn is the hire (and I feel that he should be) it doesn’t mean that the search was not genuine.  

Exactly. Sometimes the right candidate is obvious. I think Quinn is the right candidate (along with Hackett, for different reasons) for this job, based on what I know. That doesn't mean Denver isn't doing their due diligence. They aren't interviewing 10 coaches for the hell of it. Not doing your due diligence would be interviewing 3 coaches and calling it a day like we've done in the past.

This idea that choosing an out of left field coach signifies "more research being done" is wrong, and in fact doesn't mean that's the case at all.

Again, would also point out that while I dislike the "good ol boys club" I'd be much angrier with this search if we hired Mike Zimmer or Leslie Frazier. At some point, there's always a connection between coaches. I view Quinn's connection with Paton as much more spurious than hiring a bunch of ex-Vikings coaches.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

I am not sure Quinn means we don't draft a QB. Any Offensive staff he hires is clearly with the intention of it being stable, with a view to long terms success.

If anything, a new Offensive staff might be more stable than a 2nd year staff which has had a poor / below average / average year under their belt, putting them on the hot seat.

Nobody knows better than Paton how much this team, and perhaps as important, this fanbase needs hope at the QB position. We all saw the attendance at that last game and Paton certainly did.

Whoever we get in as HC, I don't think it changes Paton's view on the QB position (besides scheme fit, obviously).

The goal will certainly be stability, but how do you do that? If you bring in Mike McDaniel as the OC, odds are he’s getting HC interviews next offseason if he’s any good. And now you’re stuck in the Shanny tree looking for a replacement: what if there are no good candidates available? You can fill your offensive staff with McDaniel guys, but what if they all follow him to his next job? 

I’d be real hesitant to risk that scenario with a first round QB. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

The goal will certainly be stability, but how do you do that? If you bring in Mike McDaniel as the OC, odds are he’s getting HC interviews next offseason if he’s any good. And now you’re stuck in the Shanny tree looking for a replacement: what if there are no good candidates available? You can fill your offensive staff with McDaniel guys, but what if they all follow him to his next job? 

I’d be real hesitant to risk that scenario with a first round QB. 

But that is always going to be the case unless you hire an Offensive Head Coach that calls the play and even then, you have to replace Coaches every year.

The idea is you develop an ethos, the Coaches themselves learn it and then when you replace them, the new Coaches go through the same process.

That doesn't change just because your Head Coach has a Defensive background.

• Like 2

Allbright dropped a couple juicy tidbits last night. Just to add some fuel to a couple fires: 

1. Everyone in Dallas (scouts, coaches, front office, players) believes Quinn will be the Broncos HC, and it’s the job Quinn wants. This feels like a mortal lock. 

2. The Dallas front office believes the Broncos have Aaron Rodgers in the bag.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

For whomever it was yesterday asking about the interview schedule, Klis provided an update. 

Like I said, one of the last 3 candidates was going to be a Zoom interview, turns out it’s Callahan, not EB. 

I’m thinking Callahan’s out of the mix. Would’ve made the travel schedule a lot easier to go from Philly to Cincy to KC, as opposed to Philly to LA then back to KC.

• Like 1

Just now, broncosfan_101 said:

I’m thinking Callahan’s out of the mix. Would’ve made the travel schedule a lot easier to go from Philly to Cincy to KC, as opposed to Philly to LA then back to KC.

Cincy also has a history of being difficult to extend time for interviews for their staffs. I wouldn't be surprised if the Brown family told Callahan he is only allowed to do a Zoom interview that late in the week. Because you are right on the geography. 

• Like 2

In case you were wondering (like I was) who is on Paton’s interview committee, Klis just shared it. 

Darren Mougey is Director of Player Personnel, Kelly Klein is Exec Dir of Football Ops/special advisor to GM, Rich Hurtao is VP of football admin, Ray Jackson is Dir of Player Development and Patrick Smyth is the PR Director. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, broncosfan_101 said:

I don't think I'd read much into that. After 6 successful years here under 3 HC's he's not an unknown quantity. 

12 minutes ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

There are stories from the 2017 coaching cycle about Kyle Shannahan and Dan Quinn helping mike McDaniel get sober and how mike loved the culture Dan built and owes his continued career to him. 

would love to see them reunited in Denver. 

I think this bodes well for Kyle letting McDaniel go too. For any other coach he might try to block the hire (the Scangarello experience probably didn’t help perception here), but for Quinn it would be hard to justify. 

Edited by BroncoBruin
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, broncos67 said:

I think it's hilarious that Quinn is considered the "safe" choice. I genuinely don't understand why so many Broncos fans are down on him. Won a SB by crushing our high powered offense, was extremely close to winning another with Atlanta, turned around a god awful Dallas D. 

Broncos fans are just bordering on completely obnoxious at this point. All kinds of bellyaching because of the fears of having a bad defense with Fangio leaving. Quinn helps solve that problem. Guy has a better resume in terms of hardware than any other coach we've interviewed, and the reaction is that he's a safe/average choice? 

When I refer to Quinn as a “safe” choice, I’m using it in a complimentary way. I know some aren’t using it that way, the synonym they’re using is “boring.”

I think Quinn would be a low-risk, you know what you’re going to get. We’re taking about a guy who has a ring as a DC, a conference championship as a HC, who will hire good coordinators because he has long-standing ties throughout the league. By all accounts his players love and respect him and, as a “retread” (another word I hate), he has experience like Josh says in having learned from mistakes (hopefully). I also think he and George would work well together. 

I said at the beginning I think it’s 90% to be Quinn or Hackett. I think right now I’d put it at 65% Quinn, 30% Hackett and 5% the field. 

31 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

I think this bodes well for Kyle letting McDaniel go too. For any other coach he might try to block the hire (the Scangarello experience probably didn’t help perception here), but for Quinn it would be hard to justify. 

I also don’t see Kyle as the type that would block the advancement of another coach’s career, especially one who is a friend and more than just a co-worker. He was extraordinarily complimentary of Salaeh getting his chance last year, I remember the presser he was saying something to the effect of “if someone doesn’t hire him this off-season they are stupid.” He didn’t want him to leave, just like Mike didn’t want Gary to leave, but both knew it was for the best for those men. 

• Like 2