Week 8 GDT - Chicago Bears vs San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

2 minutes ago, JIllg said:

Yes. Yards have never been the 49ers problem under Shanahan. On either side of the ball. Turnovers have been. Both giving the ball away and not getting it back. We’ve been quite healthy in both yards and yards per play (for the most part) during the entire tenure. But we really struggle specifically with interceptions - the more reliable and predictable turnover indicator - every year. Part of it is pounding the middle of the field on offense and defense. It forces passes into traffic on offense and encourages them away from traffic on defense. It’s harder to get lucky interceptions on random sideline shots than it is on passes over the middle of the field. Part of it is that we’ve had a quarterback disadvantage for most of our games (outside of playing the delightful group of Jameis, Dalton, Duck, Goff x2, Kyle Allen, bad Baker, rookie Kyler x2 as our QBs against in 2019) under Shanahan’s tenure. Part of that is the administration’s fault. They’ve been here a long time and made incorrect decisions at the position. But the main thing is turnovers. And to some extent that’s an organizational philosophy thing. We by design are more efficient at getting and preventing yards and worse at generating turnovers. 

The problem offensively is just in big part inept QB play. Jimmy has made his fair share of mistakes as we know but it was BAD with QBs like Mullens/Beathard/Hoyer. But that should be expected.

Defensively, we have very sound defenders but don't have true playmakers. Hufanga will be starting with Tartt having a bone bruise so let's see if he can come up with a turnover or two. Norman is really good at punching the ball and has forced three fumbles in like four games which is pretty insane. 

Yeah, I mean our corner play this year has not been great, but it’s honestly far better than I expected. The DPi’s are just infuriating and they were horrible against the Colts and packers. 

mosley coming back is huge and is holding his own all Things considered. One thing I’ll give the corners props for..they’re all physical against the run, which is really a nice luxury 

2 hours ago, 49erurtaza said:

I just want to point out this forum  specifically this 49ers forum is only level headed place in the entire internet. Lol thank you all for your high level football IQ. Only place I feel sane. 

This is true, but we also pick up some rif raf on gameday.

• Like 6

8 hours ago, burlow said:

This is true, but we also pick up some rif raf on gameday.

This feels like a great time to remind everyone there is a way to ignore users on this website. I have about 6 people on my ignore. 

Desktop 

1) click on your username in the upper right so the dropdown menu appears

2) click on ignored users

3) enter their username into the bar

4) Profit 

Mobile

1) choose the three horizontal lines in the upper right corner

2) select account settings 

3) ignored users 

4) enter their username into the bar

5) Profit

Edited by N4L
  • Like 5

7 hours ago, 49ersfan said:

Shanny thought this would be the 2017 Chiefs with Smith-Mahomes, but instead it could be the 2018 Ravens with Flacco-Jackson. Lance is raw but his running ability and deep arm will keep us competitive and win us some games. 

Jackson at least played a lot more ball in college, and at a higher level. The other quarterbacks this year that played at higher competition have largely been bad. 

Lance has only had 2 years of starting QB experience in his life, and one of those is from High School. He's arguably the rawest 1st round QB ever drafted, having thrown the fewest passes in college for a 1st round QB in over 40 years. And that was against FCS players, not anyone with NFL talent. Then he sat out last season. Plus Kyle's scheme is notoriously hard for even veteran QB's to learn. It's just not the same situation, and I can see why Kyle is really thinking long term with Trey. Especially now that he's hurt, and I wonder if his experience with his father and RGIII has seeped into his mind. 

Even if Lance only went against our Scout Team, those defenders would still be the best players he's ever faced.

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Bears also haven't passed for 200 yards in a game this season. Something has got to give  o_o

I think this would apply more if we were in the bottom 5 of passing yards allowed and not in the top 5?

Anyways, it doesn't matter since they will run all over us. Kinlaw really single handedly holds it down in helping stop the run. 

• Like 1

So it seems like there's been a lot of reports coming out about our FO and some decisions that we've made over the last few years 

Seems like every week it's something new

Impossible to say where it's all coming from, but... what are the chances it's paraag, again? 

Not sure why he would be doing it, but it could be tied to the Buckner trade. We were unwilling to make the numbers work or even adjust the offer, that's paraags domain. Perhaps that was the first domino to fall in the relationship? Maybe the issues were exasperated by the QB decisions made this year? Like paraag wanted to get JGs money off the books but Kyle didn't want to start lance from the jump with no competition? 

I'm spit balling a bit here, but this feels a little tooooo familiar ... 

4 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I think this would apply more if we were in the bottom 5 of passing yards allowed and not in the top 5?

Anyways, it doesn't matter since they will run all over us. Kinlaw really single handedly holds it down in helping stop the run. 

Oh I misread. I thought we were in the bottom 5. Which seemed weird, but yeah that makes sense then. 

7 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

They just want to make sure we are 3-5 before getting whooped by the Rams and Cards in the following weeks.

Lol 😂 yup, which means we probably have two more games of Jimmy (bears and cards). Then Lance starts vs Rams on Monday night football. 

Edited by 49erurtaza
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

Looks like the football gods are trying to help us for once.

I mean Hilton didn't play last week and the Colts still killed us in the deep game lol.

All this means is Quinn is due for two sacks!!!

Hope Trent plays and Kittle can't get healthy soon enough. Need this win in the worst of ways. 

• Like 2