Is Baker Mayfield worth an extension

soflbillsfan

15 minutes ago, CP3MVP said:

Do you want to Lock in having the 3rd best QB in your division for the next 5 years?

As long as you believe that a time like Vegas should move on from Carr, Minnesota should move on from Cousins (if Fields or whoever the Lions draft pans out), or have that some thought with Mac Jones if the Dolphins or Jets actually get a competent QB...not to mention whoever you think is worse between Lawrence/Tannehill/Wentz.

So, basically 1/2 of the divisions in football, the 3rd best QB is still arguably a Top 1/2 of the league starting QB, not to mention maybe even a Stafford or Wilson considering Murray may win the MVP this year.

I get what you're saying, but floating the "third best" is a bit of cherry picking to make it sound like that guy is automatically lousy as well. 

16 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

As long as you believe that a time like Vegas should move on from Carr, Minnesota should move on from Cousins (if Fields or whoever the Lions draft pans out), or have that some thought with Mac Jones if the Dolphins or Jets actually get a competent QB...not to mention whoever you think is worse between Lawrence/Tannehill/Wentz.

So, basically 1/2 of the divisions in football, the 3rd best QB is still arguably a Top 1/2 of the league starting QB, not to mention maybe even a Stafford or Wilson considering Murray may win the MVP this year.

I get what you're saying, but floating the "third best" is a bit of cherry picking to make it sound like that guy is automatically lousy as well. 

Feels like Baker has no chance of being as good as Burrow or LJ.

Stafford is a bad comparison bc he's been a top 5 QB this year since week one. Plus he likely jumps Murray for MVP if we beat them in AZ in a few weeks and go on to win the division. So that obviously wouldn't apply to the NFCW.

Tanny is now the best QB in that division - so the rest of the teams outside of the NFCW that you listed do all have one thing in common:

On a second contract, none of them are winning a Super Bowl with those QBs. Whether they should get rid of them or not depends on the individual team situations. I personally believe the Browns could have one of the best rosters in the league (although the defense is not performing well) - so id like to see them move on from Baker and cycle through rookie QBs until they actually hit on one worth the second contract.

I wanted the Rams to do this as well. I argued with Rams fans that once Goff was paid, he would have to carry the offense. No more "he needs help" comments because once he's paid, it will inevitably make the rest of the roster slowly get worse.

We lost Saffold and had one of the worst OLs in 2019, then had to offload Cooks and lacked a deep threat in 2020. Rams fans screamed from the rooftops about how Goff had no help, which is hilarious in hindsight because Cooper Kupp is on a record breaking pace with Stafford now. We have 4/5 of the same OL as last year and it suddenly looks so much better.

It's tough, I get it. The Rams argument was the same as this one with the Browns: he's the best QB we've had in ______ years.

But my argument is that the Rams and Browns had/have, by far, the best team around a QB that they've had in that same time span.

Its hilarious how many clueless fans there are that would be willing to dump a starting quality QB like Mayfield just because he isnt a top tier QB.  As if top tier QBs are so easy to find.   Hell, QBs as good as Baker arent easy to find either.

I do agree he shouldnt get top end QB money, but he should get something in the $25 to 30m range.  Maybe a bit more with the increasing cap.

But hey....if the Browns wanna roll the dice and let him walk, I wont complain.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CP3MVP said:

Do you want to Lock in having the 3rd best QB in your division for the next 5 years?

Kind of a misleading way of putting it, considering Jackson and Burrow are both top 8 QBs right now.   So if Mayfield is say, the 12th best QB in the league, he isnt worth an extension?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, FrantikRam said:

It's tough, I get it. The Rams argument was the same as this one with the Browns: he's the best QB we've had in ______ years.

Hilariously inaccurate considering you won a super bowl and went to another with that MVP and HOF QB. It’s really not at all in the same stratosphere, no offense.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MWil23 said:

He’s about the 15th best QB in football. The question are browns fans ok with that. 

1 hour ago, 43M said:

Kind of a misleading way of putting it, considering Jackson and Burrow are both top 8 QBs right now.   So if Mayfield is say, the 12th best QB in the league, he isnt worth an extension?

It’s not misleading, it’s the reality of the situation.  He will never be as good as those guys. Are you ok with trying to win the division the next 5 years knowing I’m going into the season every year with the 3rd best QB?

2 minutes ago, CP3MVP said:

He’s about the 15th best QB in football. The question are browns fans ok with that. 

If it’s a low $30’s multi-year offer as is being reported, I think that’s a fair deal and won’t cripple them if he never takes that next step, even if they need to trade him because someone else becomes available.

2 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

If it’s a low $30’s multi-year offer as is being reported, I think that’s a fair deal and won’t cripple them if he never takes that next step, even if they need to trade him because someone else becomes available.

So you’re ok with the around the 15th best QB who will never be a superstar going forward?

Edited by CP3MVP

7 minutes ago, CP3MVP said:

So you’re ok with the around the 15th best QB who will never be a superstar going forward?

I personally don’t know that you can definitively say that yet. Maybe not a superstar, but he’s solid, which many are unwilling to even admit. This thread makes him out to be Andy Dalton 2.0, and that’s actually amusing to me. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, CP3MVP said:

It’s not misleading, it’s the reality of the situation.  He will never be as good as those guys.

So?

You do realize there are more to teams than just QBs, right?

Can the Browns compete with Mayfield?   Yes.   Thats the only question that needs answered.

19 minutes ago, CP3MVP said:

Are you ok with trying to win the division the next 5 years knowing I’m going into the season every year with the 3rd best QB?

Yes, because where they are ranked is irrelevant....unless said QB is a bottom 10 QB.

Mayfield is in the top 10 to 15.

And I find it funny that youre acting as if the Browns let Mayfield go, they would just easily find someone as good or better than Jackson and Burrow when the reality, there is a much better chance of them downgrading than upgrading from Mayfield.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

Why do football players play football? They do it to become rich. 

So complaining that a highly compensated employee has less choice in employer is a bit silly and in the grand scheme of things is just fluff that is irrelevant. 

How is it fluff?  Are we saying that just because a system allows someone to be rich, it can't also still have flaws?

Why even have an NFLPA then, if negotiating the CBA is just fluff because they'll be rich regardless?

Edited by iknowcool