Is Baker Mayfield worth an extension

soflbillsfan

What will be very curious is if we see Cleveland take a rd 3/4 high upside QB and let him sit for a year or two behind Mayfield to see if they have struck paydirt or not. Odds are they'll know if they have something or not by the end of the first training camp with a draft pick like that. Can always spin the narrative that they are looking for a quality long term backup for Baker.

14 hours ago, VanS said:

Put Tim Couch on this roster and he's a Pro Bowler.

Ya'll need to stop with this argument.   The Browns were God awful for decades because they consistently had some of the worst rosters in football.  The difference now isn't Baker.  It's the Myles Garett's and Nick Chubb's of the world.  They turned this franchise around.  Not the game-manager QB. 

And you have the damn nerve to tell people to stop using certain arguments?

Myles Garrett was on the 0-16 team and Chubb is just a RB. Not saying Mayfield is elite or anything, but him providing stability at a position Cleveland struggled at since reactivation is a big reason why they aren't a laughingstock anymore. Consistency is so crucial to team success and finding an upgrade over Mayfield in the draft is slim to none.

Then again you think any team adding Josh Dobbs will instantly make them a Super Bowl contender.

Edited by biggie.
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, BayRaider said:

As of right now? No. But the NFL is a game by game, season by season league. Perspective changes QUICK. Baker could easily earn a massive extension by the end of the year. 

Heck six games into last year people had Baker around 20-23rd best QB in the league. However, he finished the season very strong and most people had him 9-13 range to end the season.

Isn't this the problem though?  Going by what's hot at the moment rather than doing an honest long term assessment?  

If you believe Mayfield is worth an extension then how bad he has looked this year shouldn't matter.  Similarly if you believe he shouldn't be extended right now then him winning the Super Bowl later this year shouldn't change your mind.  He's already put enough tape out there for folks to make a proper assessment on his talent.   The problem is most people would rather judge players on short term results which is what leads to mistakes. 

5 hours ago, biggie. said:

And you have the damn nerve to tell people to stop using certain arguments?

Myles Garrett was on the 0-16 team and Chubb is just a RB. Not saying Mayfield is elite or anything, but him providing stability at a position Cleveland struggled at since reactivation is a big reason why they aren't a laughingstock anymore. Consistency is so crucial to team success and finding an upgrade over Mayfield in the draft is slim to none.

I never said it was just Myles Garrett or Nick Chubb that changed the Browns outlook.  I said it was the "Myles Garrett's and Nick Chubb's of the world" who did it.  Meaning it was the combination of many talented players that has turned around the Browns franchise not just two guys.

I've said it several times already that in my opinion the Browns have the most talented roster in the NFL from top to bottom by a wide margin.  Almost any QB would look good with that much talent around them.  Heck the Browns are so talented their 3rd string RB looked like a superstar last Thursday.

You could replace Mayfield with nearly every other starting QB in the NFL and get similar results.   The Browns as a whole are that talented.  And if you gave this roster an elite QB they would be the overwhelming favorites to win the Super Bowl.  

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, VanS said:

I never said it was just Myles Garrett or Nick Chubb that changed the Browns outlook.  I said it was the "Myles Garrett's and Nick Chubb's of the world" who did it.  Meaning it was the combination of many talented players that has turned around the Browns franchise not just two guys.

I've said it several times already that in my opinion the Browns have the most talented roster in the NFL from top to bottom by a wide margin.  Almost any QB would look good with that much talent around them.  Heck the Browns are so talented their 3rd string RB looked like a superstar last Thursday.

You could replace Mayfield with nearly every other starting QB in the NFL and get similar results.   The Browns as a whole are that talented.  And if you gave this roster an elite QB they would be the overwhelming favorites to win the Super Bowl.  

Your logic is completely contradictory. When Josh Allen looked bad in his rookie season, you played the whole "he just needs a better team around him!".

I'm not sayng Mayfield is in the same tier as Allen, but news flash: the vast majority of QBs are going to look like crap if you surround them with crap. It's a team sport. Even Brady looked washed in his final season with us because of the lack of talent.

"Upgrading" Mayfield just isn't worth the hassle. It's worth noting he's been playing injured as well.

Edited by biggie.
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

Next year is the 5th year option.  They can still franchise him in 2023, and 2024 if they want to.

Exactly what will transpire. Full on Dak treatment.  Gives both him and the team their 2-3 year window with this supporting cast.  If they don't win it all or at least make a SB, they move on. 

3 hours ago, biggie. said:

Your logic is completely contradictory. When Josh Allen looked bad in his rookie season, you played the whole "he just needs a better team around him!".

No.  Check the title of this thread again.  It's about whether or not Mayfield should be extended.  Whether a guy is being carried by his supporting cast or is the one doing the carrying matters.  I'm not saying Mayfield needs to have lousy players around him to get paid.  If he showed elite talent while being surrounded by an elite roster (like say Patrick Mahomes) then nobody would be questioning him.  We are questioning him because we don't think he's that talented.  And that is why his supporting cast is being discussed.

And for the record, with regard to Josh Allen, I was ultimately proven right.  I said he was an elite talent in 2018 and 2019 despite mediocre stats.  I did that because I saw he lacked talent around him on offense.  I knew that once he got some talent his numbers would explode.  Which they ultimately did.

Now here's another prediction I'll make.   Just as with Goff, if the Browns pay Mayfield they will have to lose talented players currently on the rosters.  When that happens, you'll see the real Baker Mayfield emerge.  Just as the real Jared Goff revealed himself after he got paid and didn't have a talented roster hiding his flaws. 

22 hours ago, wackywabbit said:

It's not a proven fact. It's just something that gets said a lot. A fact is something that is actually true. Like saying only 2 times has a QB on a rookie wage scale contract (signed since that was a thing in 2011?) won a SB is actually a fact. There really isn't data there for your fact.

After signing Joe Flacco to what was for a minute the highest contract ever, the Ravens had a 14 point second half lead against the best team of the second Pats SB run. So they clearly weren't eliminated from SB contention by the rules of your fact. That team fell off because their drafts from around 2012 or 2013-2015 produced virtually no home runs. I mention Flacco as he's a big example for this narrative. The team didn't fall off because of money, they fell off because the best players they drafted the next few years after that was a nose tackle.

The Joe Flacco contract signing directly screwed us cap wise for many years.

Russell Wilson's contract has sank the Seahawks. Patrick Mahomes' contract is already being felt by the Chiefs.

Time will tell with Dak, Josh Allen and soon-to-be Baker and Lamar but precedent is certainly there.

Name another QB who signed a big time contract and his team continued to compete for years down the line?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

The Joe Flacco contract signing directly screwed us cap wise for many years.

Russell Wilson's contract has sank the Seahawks. Patrick Mahomes' contract is already being felt by the Chiefs.

Time will tell with Dak, Josh Allen and soon-to-be Baker and Lamar but precedent is certainly there.

Name another QB who signed a big time contract and his team continued to compete for years down the line?

No, it is not. Frank Clark and Anthony Hitchens contracts are being felt by the Chiefs.

Not to get into your guys' debate here but...

57 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Patrick Mahomes' contract is already being felt by the Chiefs.

How so? And why do people keep saying this? Because they're playing worse than expected after giving Mahomes a 10 year extension?!

Mahomes signed an extension....not a new deal...which doesn't come into effect until next year. The Chiefs picked up his 5th year option last season in 2020 and are only paying him 7M for this season which is less than 5% of the teams cap.

25 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

The Steelers signed Big ben to a 6/25 deal w/10M gtd from 2004-2009 and they still went 73-33 during that time frame including; 3 division championships, 4 playoff appearances, 1 AFCC appearance, 2 SB appearances, and 1 SB win. This includes the 2009 season when they faced alot of injuries including Troy P.  

Then they gave Ben another 6/90 extension during the 2008 offseason starting in 2010-2015 they went 64-39 during this stretch that included 2 division championships, 4 playoffs appearances, and another SB appearance.

I could include others but this was the one that initially came to mind.

Correlating QB contracts to teams wins is a silly thing to do for so many reasons.