Is Baker Mayfield worth an extension

soflbillsfan

5 hours ago, iknowcool said:

I mean, let's be real.  It was Joe Flacco.  No disrespect to Flacco but a fan had to be fooling themselves to think that contract was sensible.  

I think everyone would agree you shouldn't be paying average QBs $100m.  He had an historically great postseason run, but like I said... let's be real.  We all knew who Joe Flacco was.

Isn’t that what Baker Mayfield is though? An average QB?

• Like 5

On 10/30/2021 at 7:41 AM, MWil23 said:

I kind of like drunk @Tk3

omg I literally don't remember making that post, and I'm dying

it wasn't even my drunkest night of the weekend - out of town wedding weekend (not my wedding)

Edited by Tk3
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, candyman93 said:

We’re probably gonna clear up 30 mil in cap space once we get rid of OBJ and Jarvis. They’re both overpaid and need to go.

Jarvis has been a surprise. I've been treating him as super under recognized for a few seasons now, but man, the games I've watched this season he has not looked great

1 hour ago, Tk3 said:

Jarvis has been a surprise. I've been treating him as super under recognized for a few seasons now, but man, the games I've watched this season he has not looked great

His body has taken a beating over his career. I think it’s just finally catching up to him. It’s definitely not an effort thing. Other than Donovan Peoples Jones, I don’t trust a single receiving threat on this team.

Austin Hooper was a bust signing.

David Njoku is hit or miss.

OBJ just sucks, period.

Rashard Higgins is always in a coaches dog house for something stupid.

I think Jarvis is starting to slowly breakdown.

13 hours ago, Tk3 said:

Well, he and Hooper pretty much cost them the game yesterday. Hooper dropped a pass in the first drive that would have been a TD, and while it wasn't a perfect throw, it hit him squarely in the hands. Jarvis had 2 crucial drops in the Red Zone (one on fourth down) and a Red Zone fumble.

• Like 1

On 10/31/2021 at 3:03 PM, Tk3 said:

omg I literally don't remember making that post, and I'm dying

it wasn't even my drunkest night of the weekend - out of town wedding weekend (not my wedding)

Don't worry, I was like that a few days ago. Got quite drunk, but not enough that I was feeling too drunk, yet I forgot a few hours of my life. It happens yeah :V 

Anyways I think Mayfield is better than basically anything the Browns have had since I remember, so that's worth something. Not sure if I would give him that elite money though.

On 10/30/2021 at 9:24 PM, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

The Joe Flacco contract signing directly screwed us cap wise for many years.

Russell Wilson's contract has sank the Seahawks. Patrick Mahomes' contract is already being felt by the Chiefs.

The Ravens clearly not drafting as well as they were when they hit their peak before the contract.

The Seahawks clearly not drafting as well as they were when they hit their peak before the contract.

Oh, and this one's interesting.

The Chiefs clearly not drafting as well as they were when they hit their peak before the contract.

10 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

The Ravens clearly not drafting as well as they were when they hit their peak before the contract.

The Seahawks clearly not drafting as well as they were when they hit their peak before the contract.

Oh, and this one's interesting.

The Chiefs clearly not drafting as well as they were when they hit their peak before the contract.

I do love how the Ravens suddenly stopped drafting well in 2013 and starting drafting well again right when Flacco's career ended lol

The Seahawks drafted poorly like forever, they just also didn't get ANY hits in those later rounds. They traded away top picks during the LOB era too.

But it turns out when most of your cap is taken by a QB, those misses are just accentuated and you can't cover them up as well.

Once a player is tying up 1/4 to 1/3 of you cap space, the draft becomes very very important.  For the Steelers, they have been very lucky to have Kevin Colbert who has had very few misses in the high rounds over 20 years.  Because someone mentioned Manning, Bill Polian was a GM god until he missed 2 drafts in a row and then he was gone.

The flip side are the Rams who are going for the short term win at the expense of youth.  Since the draft is really a crapshoot, it is hard to argue.  They still drafted well until they got close then switched to getting proven players.  In the end it is unsustainable due to not having the cheap rookie contracts.

Edited by jebrick

Baker is banged up pretty badly, and has had to deal with injuries to his OL and weapons, so it's not surprising he's struggling.

Sucks, though, makes it tough to truly know his value. He was playing like a top-10 QB to close the year last year and early this year, but now he's beat up, and it's unclear how the injuries to his shoulder will impact him going forward.

Perhaps just a short contract to see where he's at in a year or two is best? It'll cost more on the next contract if he plays good during those years, but it's risky to pay a lot on the upcoming contract. 

This is a true 'stuck between a rock and a hard place' situation.