Halloween GT- Niners v. Bears

beardown3231

6 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Jackson was an "elite playmaker" for part of one season. 

But, whatever. I'm not going to get into this. My opinion on this matter is well known. Jackson wouldn't be starting for most teams. He simply isn't good. 

I'd welcome anyone providing me video evidence that suggests otherwise. 

Today was pretty good evidence that we are significantly worse when he doesn't play considering our pass defence just gave up 322 yards to Jimmy G...Jackson might not make as many plays as he once did but at least he plays a big role in getting us lined up right in the defensive backfield...I highly doubt we would have given up as many yards as we did.

Happy with Fields’ output today. Honestly, his statline on paper throughout the season is pretty abysmal but the negative stats (outside of a fumbles lol) can pretty heavily be attributed to reasons beyond his control. I wasn’t terribly confident with the team to win this one but I am super excited for him to have his first (of many) 100 yard rush game. He showed today maneuvering around exactly what I wanted out of a scrambling qb and put the ball on the money several times, like the JJ td

1 hour ago, Heinz D. said:

I doubt Jackson properly reads this play. Nor do I think he catches Samuel from behind.

DHC's 40 time was 4.54 and Jackson's was 4.62 (or something similar like that) so I have no doubt Jackson catches him. I'm not even gonna entertain the idea that DHC is better than Jackson or even close in any facet whatsoever. That's a ridiculous comparison man lol. DHC is a solid backup and he plays like a backup. You can't expect him to ballout when called upon but he is clearly a liability in coverage (as most backups are). And while Jackson may not make the same splash plays he used to, he can atleast take away open targets (things that don't show up on a stat sheet) instead of creating them like DHC does.

But all that aside. Enough of the comparisons. With all due respect, it isn't even worth discussing.

The bottomline is...nobody on the defense was in a position to make play here. It was a well designed setup by Shanny at the right time. The players did everything right....they were just out-matched from the outset and that falls on Desai. He got out-coached. The execution by the players themselves wasn't the problem. The design, play-call, and a terrible use of personnel by Desai was the REAL problem here.

Constantly running dime overages all game when the secondary is your weakest link on defense (esp after losing Jackson) against SFs big bodies and a play-caller like Shanny is a recipe for disaster and that's exactly what we saw happen on that play.

Just look at the play again. Desai made sooo many mistakes here on this ONE play. Both in terms of play-calling, timing, and personal usage.

8 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Where is the from PFF? 😂

It's from PFR (profootballreference) but the source of thier "advanced stats"  are from a 3rd party company hired by the NFL. The problem with them is that they are VERY lenient and are not objective at all. The NFL used STATS.llc for nearly 20 years and they were the same way.

Edited by JAF-N72EX

14 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

DHC's 40 time was 4.54 and Jackson's was 4.62 (or something similar like that) so I have no doubt Jackson catches him. I'm not even gonna entertain the idea that DHC is better than Jackson or even close in any facet whatsoever. That's a ridiculous comparison man lol. DHC is a solid backup and he plays like a backup. You can't expect him to ballout when called upon but he is clearly a liability in coverage (as most backups are). And while Jackson may not make the same splash plays he used to, he can atleast take away open targets (things that don't show up on a stat sheet) instead of creating them like DHC does.

But all that aside. Enough of the comparisons. With all due respect, it isn't even worth discussing.

The bottomline is...nobody on the defense was in a position to make play here. It was a well designed setup by Shanny at the right time. The players did everything right....they were just out-matched from the outset and that falls on Desai. He got out-coached. The execution by the players themselves wasn't the problem. The design, play-call, and a terrible use of personnel by Desai was the REAL problem here.

Constantly running dime overages all game when the secondary is your weakest link on defense (esp after losing Jackson) against SFs big bodies and a play-caller like Shanny is a recipe for disaster and that's exactly what we saw happen on that play.

Just look at the play again. Desai made sooo many mistakes here on this ONE play. Both in terms of play-calling, timing, and personal usage.

Just to expand on this. I'm gonna post a complete step by step breakdown tomorrow on why this play failed and why it was on Desai. First, let's look at the pre-snap setup on both sides, because this is the most important part as to why Shanny schooled Desai in play-calling and showed all of us how to take out half of the chess pieces on the board in a single play. I'm gonna show all of this in detail.

I've been arguing about Desai's 3rd down defense since the start of the season and now it's only getting worse.

Edited by JAF-N72EX
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

I doubt Jackson properly reads this play. Nor do I think he catches Samuel from behind. If, by some miracle, Jackson does get there...he misses the tackle. 

Fangio used do same thing.  Not defend the underneath and rely on guys rallying on long yardage.  Drove me insane.

• Like 1

DLL & people that get OL:  How was Larry Borom yesterday?

Best loss I've seen in a long time,  kept harassing wife and kids to watch replays of Fields.  Happiest football moment was when kid #1 threw a baseball in the yard, but did it while on the run with a little jump kick, clearly inspired by Fields. Also worst throw a human being has ever thrown, but at least he wants to look cool.  Mood among Bears fans getting drunk in my front yard around a bonfire while handing out candy was all very positive. Many Nagy-should-get-sick-more jokes (hope he's OK). Degenerate caveman Packers fan said that Fields was a bust, throws a lot of interceptions, did not watch game, also a submoron. Wife Actual says he just looks better than other QBs, also Bears will probably find way to fail anyway. Mildly hungover, which is frankly a win with the "mild" part. Hope you all had a Happy Halloween. 

37 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

Best loss I've seen in a long time,  kept harassing wife and kids to watch replays of Fields.  Happiest football moment was when kid #1 threw a baseball in the yard, but did it while on the run with a little jump kick, clearly inspired by Fields. Also worst throw a human being has ever thrown, but at least he wants to look cool.  Mood among Bears fans getting drunk in my front yard around a bonfire while handing out candy was all very positive. Many Nagy-should-get-sick-more jokes (hope he's OK). Degenerate caveman Packers fan said that Fields was a bust, throws a lot of interceptions, did not watch game, also a submoron. Wife Actual says he just looks better than other QBs, also Bears will probably find way to fail anyway. Mildly hungover, which is frankly a win with the "mild" part. Hope you all had a Happy Halloween. 

I don't know I watched it fast.   You have to study O line play after the fact and broadcast view sucks for seeing it anyway..  

I know Fields wasn't getting murdered each time he dropped back and Borom was matched with one of best players in league in Bosa quite a bit so that is good news.

I did see in real time they put Bosa on Mustipher at least once that I remember and Mustipher didn't even slow him for a second.  So obviously a big difference between Borom and Mustipher and Borom hasn't even been practicing.  

Phil at Tape Never Lies is usually pretty accurate with his critiques.   I disagree with him a little sometimes, but usually he and I see same things if I bother to watch it.   

I don't watch all his shows either - he swears too much for my taste.   Kind of meat headish.  But he and I generally see film same way.

Bears are a hot mess across board, but I think anyone with eyes and a brain can see Fields is talented.   Hopefully Bears don't screw him up too bad.

19 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

DHC's 40 time was 4.54 and Jackson's was 4.62 (or something similar like that) so I have no doubt Jackson catches him. I'm not even gonna entertain the idea that DHC is better than Jackson or even close in any facet whatsoever. 

Why?

Because the god of player evaluation, the almighty Ryan Pace, chose to give Jackson an immense contract?

The players are comparable. Jackson is not very good. 

7 hours ago, RunningVaccs said:

He was pretty good! Very encouraging results from him. Even better that it was his first game back from a long injury hiatus. 

• Like 1

Post game thoughts:

1. All I can say is, I benched Fields and picked up Kirk Cousins this week for FF....so OF COURSE Fields finally has his breakout game and more than doubles Kirk's point output. Pretty thrilled how he performed as well... Obviously the scrambling heroics aren't a sustainable gameplan, but he gashed the opposing defense and did it without risking himself to big hits.... Passing wise he seems to be catching up to the speed of the game and running this offense more efficiently.

2. This offense still sucks. And it's both personnel and scheme.

3. Borom was good in that I didn't notice him... which is often a good thing for OL.

4. Mustipher had a good day for him, and by that I mean it felt like he was less terrible than normal. He's still the single worst player of any position on this entire team which is pretty impressive when you realize that

5. As much as I want a Center in the draft, I'm rapidly becoming convinced that we need WR. Mooney is a #3 trying to be a #1 right now, and no one else is doing a damn thing.

6. Herbert wasn't the same after getting hurt. Hopefully he can recover because I don't have a ton of faith in our run game without Monty or Herbert in there..... Even Williams (who was also hurt) I'm not sure can be "the guy" and I have zero faith in Nall.

7. Reality needs to set in for the Bears.. We should be sellers right now and trying to accrue draft capital.  I was fully expecting Robinson and Hicks to get moved today and so far nothing. Robinson in particular needs to go, and he and Hicks have the most value. I'd be listening to offers on others (and I feel like one Foles or Dalton can be safely dealt out for whatever we can get), but there is zero reason to keep pretending this team can make any kind of run this year, and I don't want to see this team hamstring itself further because a HC and GM are worried about their jobs more than what is best for the franchise going forward.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Epyon said:

2. This offense still sucks. And it's both personnel and scheme.

Well, I guess that's hard to argue against...as a blanket statement.

But they did good things yesterday. The defense lost that game, without a doubt. 

3. Borom was good in that I didn't notice him... which is often a good thing for OL.

He did pretty well. An outstanding debut. 

4. Mustipher had a good day for him, and by that I mean it felt like he was less terrible than normal. He's still the single worst player of any position on this entire team which is pretty impressive when you realize that.

I sort of defended Mustipher last season...but I'm done with that now. 

He needs to be replaced. Like, yesterday. 

5. As much as I want a Center in the draft, I'm rapidly becoming convinced that we need WR. Mooney is a #3 trying to be a #1 right now, and no one else is doing a damn thing.

No clue as to what Mooney is currently...or, might be, someday. 

But it's clear he needs help. Nobody else is really stepping up. 

7. Reality needs to set in for the Bears.. We should be sellers right now and trying to accrue draft capital.  I was fully expecting Robinson and Hicks to get moved today and so far nothing. Robinson in particular needs to go, and he and Hicks have the most value. I'd be listening to offers on others (and I feel like one Foles or Dalton can be safely dealt out for whatever we can get), but there is zero reason to keep pretending this team can make any kind of run this year, and I don't want to see this team hamstring itself further because a HC and GM are worried about their jobs more than what is best for the franchise going forward.

Because of what we've been privy too...Hicks most likely retires a Bear.

I don't know what's going on with Robinson. But, hey--why would Robinson be a better trade chip than Mack?

I mean, seriously? Who knows what's going on anymore. Or if Pace is even paying attention...

Edited by Heinz D.
  • Like 1