Browns release WR OBJ, Signs with Rams

RaidersAreOne

4 hours ago, Spartacus said:

If his goal is to revitalize his image for a bigger deal this offseason he would be dumb going to NO. No QB and frankly he is not a #1 option anymore. I also don't think NO is doing anything in the playoffs without at least an average QB. 

GB or KC would be much better options. Get to come in and play #2 or #3 WR with good QBs and safeties focusing on the #1 option. May not put up as many receptions but will probably have a much better shot of looking explosive. 

Guess we will have to wait and see. Could easily see him picking New Orleans as he has a lot of ties to the area. New Orleans also has an excellent roster that should be competing for playoffs for the next several years. QB is now a question mark for the rest of the year with Winston going down, but if he wants to be a #1 the rest of the year, he would certainly see a ton of targets here this year. One rumor I saw is the Saints are essentially letting him pick 1 year or multiple year contract.

Next year with Winston, Kamara, Beckham, Thomas, and a great OL paired with an excellent defense, it may give him some things to think about. Then there's Sean Payton who is among the better offensive minds in the NFL.

1 hour ago, Danger said:

Can you imagine....

Mike Evans
Chris Godwin
Antonio Brown
Odell Beckham
Gronk
Forunette

All being dished out to by Brady?

Like you pretty much need an all-time all-NFL team to stop that.

Although Gronk and OBJ are nothing like they were in their primes....there isn't a single defense in the league right now who could stop that offense. They would literally have all bases covered. Short, quick routes. Check downs. Screens/tunnel. The seam. Over the middle in short/mid. Outside the numbers mid/deep. End zone threats.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

I'm guessing the free agency process isnt going as well as he would have liked.

Yep, he orchestrated a release in a manner he hoped would result in him double-dipping on salary. He appears to have miscalculated. There is no incentive for any team to offer him anything more than vet minimum (up to some number around several million) for the remainder of the season. 

It appears there are no takers in offering him a salary that would allow him to double dip (based on the termination agreement and the offsets). So he very likely has several vet minimum offers and that's it.

2 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

I'm guessing the free agency process isnt going as well as he would have liked.

2 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

What if he sits on waivers for the rest of the year because nobody wants to pay him lol

Apparently GB has offered a little bit of coin but it was only a small amount and not a serious offer. 

2 hours ago, incognito_man said:

Yep, he orchestrated a release in a manner he hoped would result in him double-dipping on salary. He appears to have miscalculated. There is no incentive for any team to offer him anything more than vet minimum (up to some number around several million) for the remainder of the season. 

It appears there are no takers in offering him a salary that would allow him to double dip (based on the termination agreement and the offsets). So he very likely has several vet minimum offers and that's it.

As much as @vindictiveTayne would like for this to be the case, he's made a ton of money and will make a minimum of about $11.75 mil this season for doing jack squat. He has endorsements too. 

The realistic odds are that he isn't playing this weekend so wants to see what happens with the teams he's considering. He wants to go to a team that will give him targets while making a playoff run. This is how I see his process:

(1) Green Bay might offer more money and is his number one fallback for if the other options don't throw the brinks at him or lose again. I see this as his most likely destination for a 1yr deal right now with Rodgers helping boost his stock.

(2) If KC loses again this week and the Chargers/Raiders win, the risk of being on a sinking ship could scare him off. If KC wins, Mahomes being an improviser could match well with Odell's improviser style. 1yr or long-term make sense.

(3) If NE loses and Buffalo wins, he might get scared off by playing with a rookie QB in a team that might fade late from contention.  Mac is legit, though, and this could be a thing. Long-term makes the most sense but could also be 1yr.

(4) The only way New Orleans happens is if it's a long-term contract for good money. I doubt that happens unless the plan is to get rid of Michael Thomas next offseason(, which I personally think would be dumb, as he is better than Beckham and might actually be happy with Jameis). It makes zero sense to sign there for the rest of the season. 

(5) lol Rams why?

tl;dr OBJ will get picked up soon, as much as we selfishly might want to see a dumpster fire

Edited by NudeTayne