Aaron Rodgers Tests Positive for COVID

CWood21

Bill Huber / SI -

All of which comes back to an immunized Rodgers acting like, at times, a vaccinated Rodgers.

Unvaccinated players are supposed to be masked while inside the facility. Throughout the season, the Packers have had their unvaccinated players talking to reporters only through Zoom. Rodgers has spoken in person from the media auditorium and without a mask. Unvaccinated players who are inactive for games are supposed to be masked on the sideline. Rodgers was not masked for the preseason games.

As noted by ESPN'S Kevin Seifert, unvaccinated players are not allowed to gather in a group of more than three players, coaches or staff members. Rodgers dressed as John Wick for a Halloween party.

Is that the extent of the violations? Or the tip of the iceberg? Presumably, the league will be digging for those answers.

It’s up to the team to police its players. As the league noted in a statement to SI's Albert Breer, “The primary responsibility for enforcement of the COVID protocols within club facilities rests with each club.” Failure to enforce those protocols comes at a cost. Last season, for instance, the New Orleans Saints were fined $500,000 and forfeited a seventh-round draft pick for COVID violations. The Saints and Las Vegas Raiders were fined $250,000, and coaches Sean Payton and Jon Gruden were fined $100,000 apiece, for not properly wearing face coverings on the sideline during their Week 2 game.

Are the Packers guilty of having turned a blind eye toward enforcement of COVID policies? Or did the team try but Rodgers simply ignored them?

If it’s the latter, then Rodgers will have been guilty of something far more important than parsing words. He will have been guilty of putting himself ahead of the team, and the team will have been guilty of letting it happen. At that point, perhaps team president Mark Murphy will decide to press the reset button, trade Rodgers next offseason and begin anew with Love.

i was on board with the 'trade rodgers for defensive talent and draft picks' boat, i am really optimistic about jordan love. there is no way i would let this influence my trade decisions. 

if anything, this is the packers fault. they should have kept him out. he clearly gives the best chance to win a superbowl this year, so it appears to me they overlooked his infractions.

his body, his choice. in my view, the decision to go to a halloween party is very risky regardless of vaccination status. it puts his comments after the saints game in jacksonville into a different light -- rules for thee but not for me. 

did lazard ever have a positive test?

Edited by HokieHigh
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

We know his chances of getting it would be significantly less. 

This was selfish of Rodgers, pure and simple. 

As much as we're mad at Rodgers, we should also be crushing Lazard who is likely patient zero in this whole mess. 

Is there any evidence that Lazard tested positive and/or was patient zero? I thought he was added as a close contact, rather than positive test.

Malik Taylor was on COVID list since Oct 15. 

I think that everyone should be careful with 'witch-hunt' style assertions, particularly posters with reputations to analyze things based on fact.

9 hours ago, HokieHigh said:

is he granted some kind of protected status against future covid listing based on contact, or is he still a contact away from 10day

after doing some digging i have come to understand that prior COVID infection does not preclude another 10-day quarantine. however, given his natural immunity it is extremely unlikely he will get it again. This means that maximum he will have a 5 day quarantine per contact throughout the rest of the season. in a way, this is great that this has happened now. 

interesting to me that congress can speak to each other and reporters without a mask on but football players cant, given the obvious difference in risk-factors between the two populations. i would not have guessed that the NFL rule applies to interviews in team facilities, but the text of the rulebook appears plain and clear. punishments coming.

9 hours ago, incognito_man said:

Are you asking if there's like a rolling calendar? I think he cannot contact anyone right now, so there's no risk of a close contact until he's cleared to rejoin the team.

no sorry for being unclear. i was asking about after this bout concludes, if his immunity confers some kind of protection under the rules.  as i posted above, after looking into it the protection under the rules is only good as the protection actually acquired by his immune system. positive test = 10 days, whereas if he was vaccinated it could potentially occur in 3. 

as long as he is kicking negative tests, 5 day maximum. given the rules agreed to by the NFLPA, he has a responsibility to make behavioral decisions to minimize contact incidents that will auto-trigger this. 

he should have been more outspoken if he didn't like these rules, but he was more concerned about his contract at the time. 

10 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

We know his chances of getting it would be significantly less. 

This was selfish of Rodgers, pure and simple. 

As much as we're mad at Rodgers, we should also be crushing Lazard who is likely patient zero in this whole mess. 

This is 100% inaccurate. Lazard was a close contact who had no signs and had to test negative. You should know this is true because the reports were that he had to sit out 5 days then get a negative test. He was back at practice yesterday so he did not sit out 10 days. Therefore, just a close contact and NOT patient zero. 

It was either Davante Adams or Joe Barry, both vaccinated, who were patient zero. 

Edited by Old Guy

11 hours ago, 40Year Pack Fan said:

So Rodgers isn't mother Theresa....Really no surprise there....He was hired to throw a pigskin and win football games, not be a moral compass for the NFL...

Some of the money he gets paid is for throwing the pigskin, and some of the money he gets paid is for being a public figure.

Rodgers is a very talented but also very selfish individual who puts his own self-interest ahead of everyone and everything else.  The Packers FO already knew this (or should have) prior to 2021, but this latest episode is actively hurting the teams chances on game day.  Things must be reaching a tipping point with Gute/Murphy.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

This is 100% inaccurate. Lazard was a close contact who had no signs and had to test negative. You should know this is true because the reports were that he had to sit out 5 days then get a negative test. He was back at practice yesterday so he did not sit out 10 days. Therefore, just a close contact and NOT patient zero. 

It was either Davante Adams or Joe Barry, both vaccinated, who were patient zero. 

Or more likely there was no "patient zero" and they all caught covid from various sources away from the team facility through friends and family.

Life right now is much more relaxed now that the majority of the population has the vaccine. People are wearing masks less, mixing more and behaving normally. Naturally this results in a spike in covid cases and the odds are that unsuspecting friends and family will accidentally infect those players.

The whole point of the vaccine isn't to stop covid but to reduce the rate of hospitalisations and deaths. So when a vaccinated person catch covid they are less likely to suffer and/or die. Alot of people don't understand this.

Edited by Chili
  • Like 4

Who cares if he acts in his own self interest, if he didn't he wouldn't have been a professional footballer in the first place, he wouldn't be precious about his interception record or achievements. It is his self interest that probably drives him to win another Super Bowl and it is our own self interests, as Packer fans, that we want him to play.

Anyway as a fan I much less bothered about the 'selfish' act of not taking the vax as that might affects for a few games, I'm more interested if he will act for the greater good and be less selfish when it comes to his contract extension or deal after this season. Clearly he is still playing well but is he willing to act for the greater good and give up some cap dollars to keep the team together. If he is after top dollar that is a level of selfishness that would actually wind me up not this.

35 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

I'm more interested if he will act for the greater good and be less selfish when it comes to his contract extension or deal after this season. Clearly he is still playing well but is he willing to act for the greater good and give up some cap dollars to keep the team together

His previous deals and his words regarding his contract status along the years pretty clearly suggest he won’t

4 minutes ago, Packer_ESP said:

His previous deals and his words regarding his contract status along the years pretty clearly suggest he won’t

If his selfish interest is to remain in Green Bay and for Adams to stay with him then he'll have to give up his selfish interest for the cash. Or he will have to take his selfish interest somewhere else. 

1 hour ago, Mazrimiv said:

Rodgers is a very talented but also very selfish individual who puts his own self-interest ahead of everyone and everything else.  The Packers FO already knew this (or should have) prior to 2021, but this latest episode is actively hurting the teams chances on game day.  Things must be reaching a tipping point with Gute/Murphy.

I think right now the evidence has Gute, Murphy, and MLF Implicted lol.