Jimmy Garoppolo traded to Niners

Texansfan713

3 minutes ago, OleXmad said:

I'd rather not make the investment at all considering Garrapolo isn't worth a 2nd rounder. 

Plus they'll have to throw the franchise tag at him.

-plus if Garrapolo really was a good QB, Bill Bellicheck wouldn't have traded him.

Niners have 100+ mil in Cap Space. I'm pretty confident they will sign him to a LTD.

Just now, lancerman said:

This. You wait until free agency and you end up either being married to whatever he is as a QB long term or you end up wondering what if.

Other thing to consider, by trading for him now (I believe, since he's not on a restricted free agent tender IIRC) technically if the Niners do like what they see out of him for the second half of this season, they could extend him before this season is over and (probably) find a way to fit a good chunk of his bonus money (or at least the cap hit) on this season's ledger (they still have something like $55+ million in cap-space right now).  At the very least, they could structure a contract to where Jimmy gets compensated BIG TIME right now in exchange for an ability for them to get out from under the contract if he doesn't perform up to snuff after a couple seasons.

4 minutes ago, The LBC said:

Other thing to consider, by trading for him now (I believe, since he's not on a restricted free agent tender IIRC) technically if the Niners do like what they see out of him for the second half of this season, they could extend him before this season is over and (probably) find a way to fit a good chunk of his bonus money (or at least the cap hit) on this season's ledger (they still have something like $55+ million in cap-space right now).  At the very least, they could structure a contract to where Jimmy gets compensated BIG TIME right now in exchange for an ability for them to get out from under the contract if he doesn't perform up to snuff after a couple seasons.

And if they actually start playing him then they can get a realistic deal based off his market value. 

9 minutes ago, lancerman said:

And if they actually start playing him then they can get a realistic deal based off his market value. 

Engh.  Don't get it twisted.  Unless he looks Siemian-esque the rest of this season, any contract he get is going to pay him as a Top 5 QB in the league - that's just the way QB contracts work these days.  They might be able to avoid paying him as the highest-paid QB in football, but any extension is still going to price him extraordinarily high.

20 minutes ago, Hopper15 said:

Niners have 100+ mil in Cap Space. I'm pretty confident they will sign him to a LTD.

If the 49ers sign him to a long term deal they can't out of for 2+ years that's an incredibly stupid on their part. 

5 minutes ago, sp6488 said:

They now control him for next year.  They can franchise him and have an extended, low-risk trial.

Basically the 49ers are throwing away a 2nd for a year and a half of possibly decent QB play if they do franchise him. 

When has trading with BB ever worked out? We all know how this will end. 

1 minute ago, OleXmad said:

If the 49ers sign him to a long term deal they can't out of for 2+ years that's an incredibly stupid on their part. 

Basically the 49ers are throwing away a 2nd for a year and a half of possibly decent QB play if they do franchise him. 

When has trading with BB ever worked out? We all know how this will end. 

This is the part that terrifies me. 

25 minutes ago, lancerman said:

1. He was a second rounder when he was drafted and a lot of people thought that was a steal. The other option was risking outbidding him for everyone els.e 

2. No if he sucks they can let him walk. If he's good they can sign a long term deal. 

3. The Patriots are weighing 3ish years of some of the most high level play of the most accomplished QB ever vs Jimmy Garopollo being a somewhat quality franchise. Unless he's a 100% sure thing (which is like 1% of QB's, you don't take the risk of ending a dynasty prematurely).

1. A lot of people think a lot of things, doesn't mean he's a good QB. The 49ers have all the cap space, why not wait till FA and try and throw a massive first year salary at him and save the draft pick? If they don't sign him oh well draft a QB. 

2. If he sucks then they threw away a 2nd rounder in an incredibly stupid trade, you do not sign a QB to a long term deal off of 6ish good games, you franchise him and make him do it again. 

2 hours ago, Starless said:

...Show me one instance of someone saying this.

Yeah, I don't think he can, though I could be wrong. There were plenty of people, Pats fans and non Pats fans, and the media, saying the Browns might be willing to trade #12 for JG. I thought in the spring that the Pats might be able to swap 1sts with the Browns for their #12 and get a 2nd rounder too, similar to what Schaub got. But once the season started, JG's value dropped and the Patriots lost leverage. A high 2nd isnt too bad for a guy that was probably going to walk in 6 months, though they could have franchised and traded like Cassel. I am a bit nervous that they traded away both JG and Brisset.

I wish JG the best, hope he kills it for Shanahan.

3 minutes ago, OleXmad said:

1. A lot of people think a lot of things, doesn't mean he's a good QB. The 49ers have all the cap space, why not wait till FA and try and throw a massive first year salary at him and save the draft pick? If they don't sign him oh well draft a QB. 

2. If he sucks then they threw away a 2nd rounder in an incredibly stupid trade, you do not sign a QB to a long term deal off of 6ish good games, you franchise him and make him do it again. 

1. Because losing a 2nd rounder and getting the opportunity to evaluate and make an informed decision is better than taking a longterm risk where you are stuck with him if he sucks. 

2. If you waited until free agency you weren't going to have the option to franchise him. You were going to be forced into a long term contract and would need to outbid other teams for him. 

2 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

I get the feeling Patriots did want to keep him though to be an heir apparent for Brady. He was going to be a free agent though and the deadline was looming. Maybe their hand was forced.

Oh, it definitely was. Apparently they didn't really get anywhere in contract talks so ge would have walked for nothing. I assume part of the deal was us releasing hoyer for them so they had a backup. 

12 minutes ago, Forge said:

Oh, it definitely was. Apparently they didn't really get anywhere in contract talks so ge would have walked for nothing. I assume part of the deal was us releasing hoyer for them so they had a backup. 

So already I don't think this is a case where BB was trying to sucker Shanahan into giving up a high second for a lackluster player. As if he orchestrated JG to play well in limited action, get hurt, and dance around contract talks until some team came a knocking.

Btw I don't think the Colts are missing Dorsett for Brissett.

And hasn't Chandler Jones worked out for the Cardinals?

Archived