Jimmy Garoppolo traded to Niners

Texansfan713

4 minutes ago, ninjapirate said:

saquon barkley landing spot now? 

I can't see it based on Shanny and his father's history of getting a lot out of later running backs. I think he's more of a believer of scheme than true talent at that position. I think offensive line becomes the primary need to address. I'm assuming that they trade down, grab some draft capital so someone can get a quarterback, then draft someone like McGlinchey or Nelson. 

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

I can't see it based on Shanny and his father's history of getting a lot out of later running backs. I think he's more of a believer of scheme than true talent at that position. I think offensive line becomes the primary need to address. I'm assuming that they trade down, grab some draft capital so someone can get a quarterback, then draft someone like McGlinchey or Nelson. 

It would be a mistake to pass on barkley, history or not. Good insight though.

Also, it's possible that the Patriots, who have seen Garoppolo more than any of us, didn't value him as highly as others and figured they might as well trade an expiring asset for whatever they could get.

It's a decent deal for both sides. Kind of a bad look for Lynch and Shannahan with that wasted pick on Betheard though. 

Garoppolo is the perfect fit for that Shanny offense. No doubt he's going to be a star in SF... but hopefully it's not this year. We need the 49ers to keep losing to make that 2nd rounder worth it (don't think it ever will be but oh well, guess Brady wasn't retiring anytime soon and I'm okay with that)

1 minute ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Also, it's possible that the Patriots, who have seen Garoppolo more than any of us, didn't value him as highly as others and figured they might as well trade an expiring asset for whatever they could get.

It's a decent deal for both sides. Kind of a bad look for Lynch and Shannahan with that wasted pick on Betheard though. 

Eh I think Jimmy will be good. It's just if you think you have 3-5 years of Brady at this level, you don't give that up to give Jimmy a chance. The odds of him ever approaching what Brady is right now and might be for a couple of years isn't worth it. As it is, he just went to the worst team in the other conference in the league. This never comes back to bite them. The next time we play them is in 3 years. They likely aren't going to be dominant 3 years. So it will take like 7 years before you might ever have to deal with a good Garopollo on a good team.

Yeah, I mean, I get it from both sides. If you're the niners, you now have the a quarterback locked up for at least the next year and a half to see what he's got. Now you can leverage that top two pick into a potential trade and boost of picks. If he flops, it's a high second, which yeah, totally sucks, but worse things have happened. If you're the pats and you weren't getting anywhere in negotiations, then this is actually pretty good value for an expiring asset. 

Beathard was always a wasted pick lol. But I don't think that they were drafting him to start. To develop, sure...and they can still do that some, so it's not completely wasted. Basically the hope all along was that Beathard was a back up quarterback. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Yeah, I mean, I get it from both sides. If you're the niners, you now have the a quarterback locked up for at least the next year and a half to see what he's got. Now you can leverage that top two pick into a potential trade and boost of picks. If he flops, it's a high second, which yeah, totally sucks, but worse things have happened. If you're the pats and you weren't getting anywhere in negotiations, then this is actually pretty good value for an expiring asset. 

Beathard was always a wasted pick lol. But I don't think that they were drafting him to start. To develop, sure...and they can still do that some, so it's not completely wasted. Basically the hope all along was that Beathard was a back up quarterback. 

That's pretty fair, but there were other players to be had in that range who I thought were good. Hey, they have a vision and they're gonna execute it.

That's pretty fair, but there were other players to be had in that range who I thought were good. Hey, they have a vision and they're gonna execute it.

Oh definitely...I"m still flabbergasted at the pick given who else was still on the board lol I hated that pick with a fiery passion. 

Archived