Jimmy Garoppolo traded to Niners

Texansfan713

3 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

As a Browns fan....I'm  sick to my stomach....I would've given up 2, 2nd round picks for Jimmy G....

When this was a huge thread on the old forum, that's exactly what I said that I would give up for him as a niners fan going into this season. So to get him for only a single second rounder is great with regards to value to me. I'm happy with this move. 

1 minute ago, iLikeDefense said:

Not only is this move surprising but the compensation is shocking. Would have thought NE would have wanted more back.

I think once they realized the extension wasn't going to get done, it was just about getting something back for him. This is a good return, all things considered. He was going to be gone after the year. At best, they were going to get a third round comp in two years, and if they wanted that comp pick, it would limit them this year in free agency. 

Very risky move. A 2nd rounder for 8 games for a guy with a limited history of PT. 

The worst part about this deal is to see how long he lasts. If he couldn't even survive 6 full quarters playing in the Patriots system where he was able to get the ball out in less than 2.5 seconds, behind their OL, then it'll be interesting to see how he fairs in San Fran.

Just now, Forge said:

I think once they realized the extension wasn't going to get done, it was just about getting something back for him. This is a good return, all things considered. He was going to be gone after the year. At best, they were going to get a third round comp in two years, and if they wanted that comp pick, it would limit them this year in free agency. 

Very good points!

Just now, iLikeDefense said:

Not only is this move surprising but the compensation is shocking. Would have thought NE would have wanted more back.

Why? After this year he's a free agent. So whoever gets him is taking a massive risk that he won't screw them and hold out for franchise money. And if he's any good, why not. He either gets franchise money, forces them to pay him a lot, or gets to walk and go wherever he wants (which could be back to New England). Meanwhile the Patriots just likely guaranteed themselves the 33 or 34 pick in the draft. 

Keep in mind Jimmy only played 2 games and got injured and while he looked good, he did it on a team where Brady went 13-1 when he came back. I mean the only team I really could see spending a 1st rounder on Jimmy is the Browns, and they already avoided that. 

1 minute ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Very risky move. A 2nd rounder for 8 games for a guy with a limited history of PT. 

The worst part about this deal is to see how long he lasts. If he couldn't even survive 6 full quarters playing in the Patriots system where he was able to get the ball out in less than 2.5 seconds, behind their OL, then it'll be interesting to see how he fairs in San Fran.

It's not 8 games. He's going to be in SF through at least 2018 on the franchise tag alone, though I wouldn't be shocked if an extension is worked out by early next off season. It'll be similar to what the Browns did with Collins. 

Though yeah...he could get hurt and manage only 8 games in 1.5 years given our offensive line lol

I like the trade, but question the timing for the 9ers(and the Pats for that matter).  If you're going to make this trade, why not do it before the season?  Now the 9ers are 0-8 and have nothing to play for and now you have to resign a QB you only get to see for 8 weeks in your system.  And the Pats are pretty much betting on a 40 yr old to stay healthy, because there isn't a backup option anymore.

I would have liked this trade for both teams a lot more had it been 2-3 months ago.

Just now, Forge said:

It's not 8 games. He's going to be in SF through at least 2018 on the franchise tag alone, though I wouldn't be shocked if an extension is worked out by early next off season. It'll be similar to what the Browns did with Collins. 

Though yeah...he could get hurt and manage only 8 games in 1.5 years given our offensive line lol

I understand that their investing in the future. But ti's still very risky, IMO. The OL isn't the worse in the league but yeah it's pretty bad. But that's not the only thing they need to fix on offense, that's for sure. 

Overall, I'm not criticizing the move though. It actually makes sense to do it now rather than later to avoid getting into a bidding war where there will likely be more  takers then, than there was now. Take the Browns for example. They already benched their initial starter, so who knows, maybe by season's end they would have been willing to give more for JG than the Niners were willing to even consider, thus taking them out of the picture altogether. 

Archived