Jimmy Garoppolo traded to Niners

Texansfan713

1 minute ago, Forge said:

When is Shanny ever a fan of the quarterbacks in the draft? Lol. Apparently he wasn't a fan of any of the guys last year either...well, except Beathard apparently. 

Perhaps Beathard got a raw deal like Cousins when he was drafted. Told Cousin straight up that they took him in the hopes that they could trade him one day. 

3 minutes ago, daineraider said:

I like the trade, but question the timing for the 9ers(and the Pats for that matter).  If you're going to make this trade, why not do it before the season?  Now the 9ers are 0-8 and have nothing to play for and now you have to resign a QB you only get to see for 8 weeks in your system.  And the Pats are pretty much betting on a 40 yr old to stay healthy, because there isn't a backup option anymore.

I would have liked this trade for both teams a lot more had it been 2-3 months ago.

Cost may have been higher at the start of the season. That would make sense - the Pats hadn't given up on re-signing him at that point. For the 49ers, the money is inconsequential. We have like 120 million headed into next season. We can't spend all that money next year anyway. You give him the tag, and it's not that big of a deal. 

5 minutes ago, daineraider said:

I like the trade, but question the timing for the 9ers(and the Pats for that matter).  If you're going to make this trade, why not do it before the season?  Now the 9ers are 0-8 and have nothing to play for and now you have to resign a QB you only get to see for 8 weeks in your system.  And the Pats are pretty much betting on a 40 yr old to stay healthy, because there isn't a backup option anymore.

I would have liked this trade for both teams a lot more had it been 2-3 months ago.

Because from the Niner's point of view this is a lost season and they got their QB where they will have a high first round draft pick to compliment him and can continue to make building moves. And the worst case scenario is he sucks and you got to test him out for 8 games before moving on. 

From the Patriots point of view, you had to make a decision between Brady playing at the highest level he's ever played at for a few more years or hoping Jimmy gets even half as good, while knowing the Niner's have nothing to play for and you turned a QB who you drafted at the 62nd pick who you were struggling to resign into a 33 or 34th overall. 

The risk for the Patriots is: Tom Brady goes down and declines and they have to find a new QB. Which was always a possibility and would have likely been a season killer no matter what. 

The risk for the Niner's is: Jimmy sucks and you are out a 2nd round pick. 

7 minutes ago, Forge said:

When is Shanny ever a fan of the quarterbacks in the draft? Lol. Apparently he wasn't a fan of any of the guys last year either...well, except Beathard apparently. 

Yeah, IDK. One less team to worry about for the Jaguars I guess so that's a positive.

9 minutes ago, Forge said:

Cost may have been higher at the start of the season. That would make sense - the Pats hadn't given up on re-signing him at that point. For the 49ers, the money is inconsequential. We have like 120 million headed into next season. We can't spend all that money next year anyway. You give him the tag, and it's not that big of a deal. 

If I'm the 9ers the cap space is the last thing I would worry about when trading for a QB(we agree there).  And you may be correct the price might have been more before the season, so that makes sense.  I would have just preferred to have him in the system before now if you're trading a high pick like that(long term it could be a home run for the 9ers so I'm good with the gamble).  

4 minutes ago, lancerman said:

Because from the Niner's point of view this is a lost season and they got their QB where they will have a high first round draft pick to compliment him and can continue to make building moves. And the worst case scenario is he sucks and you got to test him out for 8 games before moving on. 

From the Patriots point of view, you had to make a decision between Brady playing at the highest level he's ever played at for a few more years or hoping Jimmy gets even half as good, while knowing the Niner's have nothing to play for and you turned a QB who you drafted at the 62nd pick who you were struggling to resign into a 33 or 34th overall. 

The risk for the Patriots is: Tom Brady goes down and declines and they have to find a new QB. Which was always a possibility and would have likely been a season killer no matter what. 

The risk for the Niner's is: Jimmy sucks and you are out a 2nd round pick. 

I like the trade in general (the only question for me was timing).  I feel the Pats would still be competitive with Jimmy as the backup and now there isn't a backup option.  The 9ers just made sure no one else offered more $$ in the off-season.  So I like it in that regard also.  The Browns would have been in play along with a few others had they waited.  My point(which I feel is still valid) is just getting this done if not before the season, a few weeks ago to get Jimmy in the system earlier.  You want to know as much about him in your system before giving him $100+ mil.

1 hour ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

I hate the world. 

Its honestly unbelievable. Ive never been the type of guy to call for a person job--but everybody in the Browns front office needs to be fired if you pass on Wentz, Watson and not being able to get Jimmy for one of you 16 first rounders in the past 2 years.

21 minutes ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

Apparently 9ers were worried that Redskins are going to franchise Cousins again next year.

The way the Redskins have treated Cousins and not committing to him while dragging him through the mud--they dont deserve him and I hope he walks leaving the Redskins in shambleland trying to find a QB again.

Come to Cleveland Kirk, even if your mediocre you will be a king here and appreciated.

3 minutes ago, OleXmad said:

Why...? He was going to be a FA and you could've thrown all the money at him. 

An FA who plays the most important position on the field in a league where possibly almost 1/3 of the league could be looking for their replacement 6 months from now.

Archived