Former HC Jon Gruden suing NFL and Commissioner Roger Goodell

RaidersAreOne

7 hours ago, ChazStandard said:

…ten years ago. He didn’t fired for “being offensive”, he quit after potentially offensive content was deliberately leaked to make him look bad and turn a slightly hysterical public mood against him.

It was not about virtue, it was about the perception of virtue, which is not the same thing, and that’s what ticks people off. Nobody had an issue with it until it became politically convenient to use it.

Kaepernick didn’t get cancelled, he got cut for being a cruddy QB who wasn’t worth the hassle, then got a huge endorsement deal from Nike and Netflix documentaries made about his life. He managed to parlay his suckiness into a profitable victim story. Other players who knelt are still playing.

Oh dear.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dome said:

Gruden was in an industry where racist/sexist and otherwise offensive remarks and behavior were commonplace, and he is the one who got outed for it. He is going to try to say the person that outed him for it did it because he didn't like him.

You don't really have to make an analogy lol, it's pretty straight forward.

I feel like I did because some people are in favor of him suing the NFL.

Never seen the "everyone was speeding not just me!" defense work, which is what he's going for.

• Like 3

I'm also a little confused here...

I think virtually EVERYONE wants the emails released, but how do people think that Gruden suing is going to result in them releasing MORE? I don't follow at all. I just don't see who's commanding the league to release more emails is a legal consequence for the league if they lose?

37 minutes ago, FrantikRam said:

I feel like I did because some people are in favor of him suing the NFL.

Never seen the "everyone was speeding not just me!" defense work, which is what he's going for.

Yeah I get where you’re coming from for sure.

Its just that everyone here has sped, and probably lots of people have been pulled over for speeding even though they weren’t the fastest car in the road that day and may have been passed a few times in the minutes that led up to getting pulled over. 

My issue is when you compare it to speeding you’re comparing it to something everyone has done and is more or less OK with in moderation. It just feels like by making the comparison you’re lessening the seriousness of Grudens comments, even if wasn’t your intention at all.

• Like 2

While Gruden deserved to be fired, anyone with eyes can see it was a deliberate hit job by Goodell and the NFL. That hitjob being A) To distract the public from the Washington saga and b) Gruden has been insulting Goodell on a regular basis for over a decade. Don't talk trash about your boss, or you may face some pretty severe consequences. 

If anyone thinks these were leaked for the "right" reasons, you are more gullible than a 85 year old talking to a scammer on the phone. 

I hope Gruden wins. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I'm also a little confused here...

I think virtually EVERYONE wants the emails released, but how do people think that Gruden suing is going to result in them releasing MORE? I don't follow at all. I just don't see who's commanding the league to release more emails is a legal consequence for the league if they lose?

Gruden suing will just lead to more pressure on the NFL.  But I'm more interested in congress getting involved and why the NFL apparently hasn't met the Nov 4th deadline to hand over all documents requested.  As far as I know at least.  

5 hours ago, Dome said:

Where do you draw the line here though?

Cause this logic could be used to defend a LOT of bad people who got caught doing vile and horrible things while others got away with it. 

"I feel some level of sympathy for Epstein. Let's be honest...while vile and horrible what he did is widespread in the elite class. Epstein is just being used as a scapegoat in the sense to make it seem like he was a rogue outlier. "

Obviously that's a HUGE leap. It wasn't done to compare the actions that led to the consequences, but to show that having sympathy for someone simply cause they're the only ones who got caught is a slippery slope argument that can be and is regularly used to defend awful people.

I'm not sure that the language choice was what got Gruden, it was the message he was portraying with the language.

If he said "DeMaurice Smith is really ******* bothering me today" he would've been a-ok despite the offensive language.

You can't really draw a line. It's an impossible situation. What the NFL could be is proactively try and actually stop this kind of crap from happening. 

Edit: Comparing what Epstein did to Gruden is just sad and pathetic. You really should be ashamed for that. 

Edited by ILoveTheVikings
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, ILoveTheVikings said:

Edit: Comparing what Epstein did to Gruden is just sad and pathetic. You really should be ashamed for that. 

Go back and read what I said, all of it, not just the part that you reacted to.

Edited by Dome
  • Like 4

16 hours ago, Dome said:

you can't bring him up in rural USA without half the podunk locals feeling the urge to get on a soap box

More so out of boredom and not some "I'm insulted!!" but especially in a climate where every insult is dissected over and over, why is it, say, bad for Gruden to say what he said privately (hint: it still is) but comments like the "rural, podunk locals" is ok to insult country folks like they're all dumb. It's really gained steam in the covid debates around here lately as well.

Podunk basically means insignificant fyi.

Again, not trying to get into some big back and forth but maybe how you think it's freely ok to insult country folks is how Gruden grew up around other demographics (not that it was right).

Just a thought I guess, carry on 🙂

3 hours ago, Chiefs_5627 said:

More so out of boredom and not some "I'm insulted!!" but especially in a climate where every insult is dissected over and over, why is it, say, bad for Gruden to say what he said privately (hint: it still is) but comments like the "rural, podunk locals" is ok to insult country folks like they're all dumb. It's really gained steam in the covid debates around here lately as well.

Again, not trying to get into some big back and forth but maybe how you think it's freely ok to insult country folks is how Gruden grew up around other demographics (not that it was right).

I was born, raised and currently live in a town of 2,500 people.

I have earned the right to insult any fellow resident podunks I feel like. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, BayRaider said:

While Gruden deserved to be fired, anyone with eyes can see it was a deliberate hit job by Goodell and the NFL. That hitjob being A) To distract the public from the Washington saga and b) Gruden has been insulting Goodell on a regular basis for over a decade. Don't talk trash about your boss, or you may face some pretty severe consequences. 

If anyone thinks these were leaked for the "right" reasons, you are more gullible than a 85 year old talking to a scammer on the phone. 

I hope Gruden wins. 

Alternate (and likely) option:

The person who leaked it wasn't Goodell, or acting on his behalf, had alternative reasons, and didn't realize the Pandora's box that was about to be opened.

(credit to Andrew Brandt for this far more likely scenario)

9 hours ago, Chiefs_5627 said:

Buddy,,,,

what are you trying to do here?

podunk isn’t a descriptor of the people, it’s a descriptor of the area in which the people live in. It’s a slang term that holds the same value as calling someone “city folk” or “American”. The “small, insignificant, unimportant, boring” refers to the place they live, not the people.

These aren’t even close to the same thing.