2022 Free agency thread

JAF-N72EX

1 minute ago, AZBearsFan said:

Are you under the impression that they are just not even looking to add offensive players? C’mon man… 

I think that spending serous money on defense is stupid. You told the world your defense didn’t matter when you traded away your best player.

Now you are going to spend more money on defense and further under invest in the offense?

We need to start investing in the offense. Often and significantly.

3 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Are you under the impression that they are just not even looking to add offensive players? C’mon man… 

I honestly don’t know what they are doing.

I thought OL would be a major priority. We know the OL sucks. Poles said it a bunch. We have a young QB. 

33 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

We need both free agency and the draft to rebuild this OL.

We can’t rely solely on the draft.

For sure but it's not going to be completely rebuilt in one offseason.

As of now we need a starting C and a starting RG plus some depth at tackle.

Who knows..maybe they re-sign Daniels?

20 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I honestly don’t know what they are doing.

I thought OL would be a major priority. We know the OL sucks. Poles said it a bunch. We have a young QB. 

Jesus Christ man, Poles has been on the job exactly 12.75 hours where he can actually sign guys from other teams and you’re already acting like you’re ready to run him out of town. Poles told you EXACTLY what he was going to do. Be selective in FA. Focus on building through the draft. Did you just not believe him? If that didn’t sound to you like not blowing his whole load on day 1 of FA when guys get stupid money when comparable players are available in the days that follow at more reasonable numbers then I don’t know what else can be said. 

Do you really think that GM who’s a former OL and an Asst. GM who’s a former OL don’t have a plan for what they envision our OL to look like and how to accomplish that? You’re not even willing to let a first year GM have his plan play out for one ******* day before getting all bent out of shape about it? 

Edited by AZBearsFan
  • Like 3

If we look past the top of the OL market guys like Armstead or Bozeman (who would be obvious upgrades) for a minute, Billy Turner seems like an easy connection for us for an OL signing given the GB/Getsy ties and versatility. He was a full time starter the past 3 years for GB at either RG or RT. He’s not great but he was an average starter at both spots which would make him a smart signing that gives us either a reliable 2022 starter somewhere along the line or, if he’s beaten out for a job by a rookie, quality experienced depth inside and out with one guy.

2 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Jesus Christ man, Poles has been on the job exactly 12.75 hours where he can actually sign guys from other teams and you’re already acting like you’re ready to run him out of town. Poles told you EXACTLY what he was going to do. Be selective in FA. Focus on building through the draft. Did you just not believe him? If that didn’t sound to you like not blowing his whole load on day 1 of FA when guys get stupid money when comparable players are available in the days that follow at more reasonable numbers then I don’t know what else can be said. 

Do you really think that GM who’s a former OL and an Asst. GM who’s a former OL don’t have a plan for what they envision our OL to look like and how to accomplish that? You’re not even willing to let a first year GM have his plan play out for one ******* day before getting all bent out of shape about it? 

TBF... we already had a Fire Poles thread after 2-3 days of being hired.  😅

I think someone posted that Poles would be going for a lot of second wave players, or something of the sort. That is exactly what we should be doing rather than paying crazy amounts for an individual player. No one player is going to make us a top team in the NFC, but we have a LOT of room for talent upgrades that will be more cost effective without breaking the bank.

I think we will see a number of moves much like Pace did in 2018, get a number of good players across the board and if some of them (like Hicks) turn out to be special then we can have some surprising production. Regardless as long as we get to protect Fields and get some receivers for him I'll be content to spend the 2022 losing if we see serious growth from him. 

• Like 1

Yo what’s going on?!

Why did you all spend so much at Ogunjobi?!!!

what’s the plan for the O line and receivers??!

Are you guys Justin Fields focused right now? I thought I’d see some Jacksonville type moves from you. Overpay if you have to just protect him. 

• Like 1

I have no idea why anyone is worried at this point...this has to be some sort of record for the least amount of players signed on Day 1 of FA...these markets are clearly still playing out for a ton of talented guys and it is obvious that some of the crazy deals out there (looking at you JAX) have caused a stall to happen...let's just all take a breath and understand that just because guys haven't "signed" doesn't mean to say deals aren't on the table...lots of teams out there slow playing FA this year...most importantly...lots of the best teams out there slow playing FA.

15 minutes ago, brownie man said:

Yo what’s going on?!

Why did you all spend so much at Ogunjobi?!!!

what’s the plan for the O line and receivers??!

Are you guys Justin Fields focused right now? I thought I’d see some Jacksonville type moves from you. Overpay if you have to just protect him. 

Ogun will be a massive factor in this D because of how important UT is to Eberflus...in the grand scheme and looking at what others got I don't think we massively overpaid at FA prices...

Overpaying like the Jags consistently do leads you to the same mistakes as they make time and time again...very rarely do the team that spends the most in FA do much on the field.

On 3/13/2022 at 11:07 PM, Madmike90 said:

My Personal Shopping List

WR…Allen Lazard (if not tendered)…D.J Chark…Ashton Dulin (if not tendered)…Russell Gage…Zach Pascal…Byron Pringle…James Washinton…Demarcus Robinson…Marcus Johnson.

OL…Connor Williams…Trai Turner

DE…Al-Quadin Muhammad…Rasheem Green…Dorance Armstrong Jr.

LB…Anthony Walker Jr…Zaire Franklin…Anthony Hitchens…Nicholas Morrow…Azeez Al-Shaair (if not tendered)…Jayon Brown

CB…D.J Reed…Levi Wallace…Fabian Moreau…Sidney Jones…Anthony Averett

S…M.J Stewart

Still a lot of guys out there who would help this team a lot even removing guys who have already signed...could add O.J Howard as a flier & Landon Collins to that list as well.

To be honest, I'm not sure why people are acting so shocked. There is still a ton of FA left. We have a ton of positions to fill meaning we have to spread our cap space out to field a roster. Poles and company already have said that this was how they would approach free agency and yet people seemed to have forgotten that.

Oh No Facepalm GIF by Aminé

• Like 3

7 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I think that spending serous money on defense is stupid. You told the world your defense didn’t matter when you traded away your best player.

Now you are going to spend more money on defense and further under invest in the offense?

We need to start investing in the offense. Often and significantly.

When did you get the impression, with defensive HC mind you, that defense didn't matter?  They didn't trade their best player.  The best player on the defense is Roquan and has been for the last couple of years.  They did a cost benefit analysis and decided it was worth it to trade Mack as they just saw for over half the season what the pass rush could be with Quinn and Gipson as the starters.  They did not firesale the defense.  I can guarantee you that as long as Eberflus is here, defense will never not matter.  

As for the OL market.  I would have liked them to sign Jensen( who never made it to FA) or Allen, but outside of those 2, what OL that signed yesterday are you wringing your hands over?

• Like 1