2022 Free agency thread

JAF-N72EX

3 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I like the talent of the young guys, but all 3 of those starters were subpar last year when they played and our C was abominable.

It would be one heck of a gamble to not sign at least one top OL veteran and it looks like we are taking that gamble.

I dont agree that they were subpar. I think Borom played pretty well last year, especially as I think he was playing out of position. And while Jenkis first impressions (injury to start, and first game back) werent good, I actually liked what I saw once he was actually able to get his feet under him at an NFL level.

And my gripe with Whitehair isnt about his skills on the field, its that he is criminally overpaid. He is a completely serviceable lineman, he should just be making 1/4 of what he currently is against our Cap.

So assuming we are drafting some lineman (atleast one expected to start at some point this season) thats really just one more spot to fill with a Veteran, as well as hopefully a few more versatile guys who can be reliable depth, even push the youngsters for PT.

It all comes down to, currently they arent signing the names you all want. The plan is still the same.

Just now, StLunatic88 said:

I dont agree that they were subpar. I think Borom played pretty well last year, especially as I think he was playing out of position. And while Jenkis first impressions (injury to start, and first game back) werent good, I actually liked what I saw once he was actually able to get his feet under him at an NFL level.

And my gripe with Whitehair isnt about his skills on the field, its that he is criminally overpaid. He is a completely serviceable lineman, he should just be making 1/4 of what he currently is against our Cap.

So assuming we are drafting some lineman (atleast one expected to start at some point this season) thats really just one more spot to fill with a Veteran, as well as hopefully a few more versatile guys who can be reliable depth, even push the youngsters for PT.

It all comes down to, currently they arent signing the names you all want. The plan is still the same.

I will accept any names that are actual starting calibre players.

11 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

You are assuming they have Jenkins and Borom graded out as starters.

Our OL is 2x unproven and 1x mediocre right now.

And if you go into 2022 with 2 unproven guys, 1 terrible and 1 mediocre + you add 2 draft picks, you now have 4 unproven guys, 1 terrible and 1 mediocre. This is why I would've taken a flyer on Glowinski,Cappa, Tomlinson or Karras. They didn't get HUGE money and they're all 30 or younger.

Edited by beardown3231

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

I would think that not only would they have scouted both guys last year I'm sure that looked at every Bears offensive play last year.  If they aren't diving in free agency right now they are pretty comfortable those two will be starting somewhere on the line

58 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

Borom was mediocre. Jenkins was bad. Both guys are just potential at this point.

Borom won the job at camp and got hurt. Jenkins didn't have a preseason and fared OK in the hand he played. I think it's unfair not to look at the complete picture when it comes to those two

5 minutes ago, GBHalas said:

Borom won the job at camp and got hurt. Jenkins didn't have a preseason and fared OK in the hand he played. I think it's unfair not to look at the complete picture when it comes to those two

The complete picture can be looked at positively (what you said) or negatively, which is Jenkins wasn't all that good when he played and his back issues could flare up at any point & Borom was average. Both guys have potential so they might be good but they also may never hit that potential, as most 2nd and 5th round picks don't

Just now, StLunatic88 said:

I dont think anyone has ever doubted Fuller's talent, but how is it helpful to have him for 1/3 of the season?

To me it comes down to the contracts. People are all over armstead, he’s gonna get 21+/year and he’s played a full season once?

I’ve seen a fully healthy fuller with Watson and a fully healthy mvs with Rodgers. I’ll bet on fuller at a lower rate and hope for health for a year

17 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I think that spending serous money on defense is stupid. You told the world your defense didn’t matter when you traded away your best player.

They traded Roquan Smith?

I guess I missed that...

17 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I thought OL would be a major priority. We know the OL sucks. Poles said it a bunch. We have a young QB. 

I thought as much, too. But it's pretty clear none of the big names were interested in going elsewhere. Well, the big names Poles might have been looking at, anyway. Not much can be done about that. 

13 hours ago, brownie man said:

Yo what’s going on?!

Why did you all spend so much at Ogunjobi?!!!

what’s the plan for the O line and receivers??!

Are you guys Justin Fields focused right now? I thought I’d see some Jacksonville type moves from you. Overpay if you have to just protect him. 

Ogunjobi ts really good. I'm surprised the Bengals let him walk. As to the importance of the signing--Bears just lost three guys from their line. 

We have no idea what the plan for the O line and the receivers are...but it's rumored that either Shuster or MVS will become a Bear. Which works. As far as linemen go...who knows at this point?

7 hours ago, Bigbear72 said:

Myles Jack just became available. Any interest?

From me, yes. Backload that deal, and ship him in!

7 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Yesterday wasn't a good day because at the start of the day our offense sucked and at the end of the day, after a number of reasonable offensive deals were made, our offense still sucks.

I don't think the Bears offense sucks. Neither does Ryan Poles. We'll see how things shake out. 

6 hours ago, GOGRIESE said:

I'm wondering if Detroit signing DJ Chark had any impact on Robinson's market. I still think it's highly unlikely he resigns here but I thought he would have been gone by now. 

Yeah, I posted something the other day, somewhere, wondering if Robinson isn't going to get the huge payday he was expecting. It's looking like that's what's going to happen. He's likely losing major cash for dogging it last year, and part of the year before.

5 hours ago, WindyCity said:

This is a gift. Please accept it.

Agreed. 

5 hours ago, WindyCity said:

That seems like a reasonable deal.

It is. But, based on the Bears letting him walk, and comments (direct and indirect) from Poles--I think Poles SERIOUSLY questioned Daniels motor. 

Now, I would have brought Daniels back...but I can't really argue with Poles' criticism.

2 hours ago, dll2000 said:

This after passing on a more talented Chark that signed relatively cheap.

I don't think that it is at all clear that Chark is more talented.

2 hours ago, WindyCity said:

It sure as heck seems like they do, don't you think? 

Edited by Heinz D.

I think something that is important to note for those of us that are bummed about the lack of free agent signings is that Poles said that he would be addressing needs in the second and third WAVES of free agency and not second or third TIERS of free agent talent. I believe these are two distinctively different things. Traditionally the first wave of free agency is the initial frenzy that we are seeing now. Once this frenzy cools off then the second wave begins. He is waiting for the second wave because those free agents will likely come cheaper as free agent dollars start to dry up and dwindle. Poles is doing what he said, I just don't think that most fans understood what he meant.

• Like 1