⏰ to completely clean house

RaidersAreOne

41 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

The mistakes he has made have been critical though. Wasted a ton of draft capital and cap space in free agency and gutted the OL. My biggest concern with Mayock in a 1 year prove it type of situation is that we will have to extend Carr/Waller this offseason and hire a new coaching staff. So what happens if he blows it again this offseason? It will be crippling for the next GM who may not like the coaching staff or think Carr is the answer at QB.

Mayock was right to gut the O-line. There were 24th last year and James is a steal.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

Mayock was right to gut the O-line. There were 24th last year and James is a steal.

Yes, sending away Hudson, Brown, and Jackson but keeping Richie were all great moves. Our run game is 28th in the NFL and Carr has been sacked 35 times, 5th most in the NFL. Great work.

i certainly won’t pretend he’s innocent but i think grudens hand was in more of that than mayocks. I’m fine with moving on but i’m also ok with him staying. 

16 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

welcome

Thank you i rarely comment but i do read a lot of your guys stuff and appreciate everybody’s different opinions 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, dante9876 said:

Yall really want mayock and Mark hiring the next coaching staff. If mayock stays I doubt we hire somebody to be over him doing the football operations role. Mayock is probably going to be in charge of everything. I'll pass on that. 

My biggest concern with bringing Mayock back is if that's the route Mark is going to go and he blows it this off-season and we aren't good next year, does he fire him next offseason? If he does move on, will the new GM like the coaching staff and roster or do we look to rebuild again? The moves we make this off-season with Carr, Waller, and the coaching staff will likely define us for the next 3-5 years.

1 hour ago, dante9876 said:

Yall really want mayock and Mark hiring the next coaching staff. If mayock stays I doubt we hire somebody to be over him doing the football operations role. Mayock is probably going to be in charge of everything. I'll pass on that. 

A different perspective would argue that he hasn't ever had that opportunity.  How do we know he would screw it up?  I think he deserves the chance to show what he can do as the man in charge.  His HC hire, his FA period, his draft.  

11 minutes ago, Totty said:

A different perspective would argue that he hasn't ever had that opportunity.  How do we know he would screw it up?  I think he deserves the chance to show what he can do as the man in charge.  His HC hire, his FA period, his draft.  

So you think Mayock was just hanging out and had no input on our draft picks and personnel moves? At the very worst he was the 1B to Gruden's 1A and while I do believe that Gruden had the final say on our moves, I think Mayock did the majority of the work in terms of scouting and identifying players. What has Mayock done that gives you confidence he'll make the right coaching hire, recruit a strong FA haul, or draft well? His only experience in an NFL front office has been with us and it's been sub par.

2 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Maybe but did he pick the right players to do it? Like we were much better off trading up for a better OL than leatherwood.

It was also short sighted to do it all at once and bring Richie back as a guy that they thought could start for us with his injury concerns.  

5 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Maybe but did he pick the right players to do it? Like we were much better off trading up for a better OL than leatherwood.

He didn't even need to trade up. He could have literally pulled up any draft guide and picked Christian Darrisaw.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

He didn't even need to trade up. He could have literally pulled up any draft guide and picked Christian Darrisaw.

Yep, or traded up for Slater/Vera tucker. That being said I liked our 2-5 picks a lot this year. Like a lot. So I won’t complain about that but I wanted darrisaw too.

Just now, MrOaktown_56 said:

Yep, or traded up for Slater/Vera tucker. That being said I liked our 2-5 picks a lot this year. Like a lot. So I won’t complain about that but I wanted darrisaw too.

But our offensive line struggles have been our Achilles heel all season. If we had an OL that was just average to above average we'd be in the playoffs for sure.

I believe Mayock was quoted as saying the team takes a lot of input from the coaches when it comes to who to draft.  Probably why the rate of success on the defensive side of the ball had a lot more success this year.  I also think that the team relies on coaches in the early rounds and more so the scouts in the later rounds.  It will always be a mix.  One problem I do see with Mayock is the contracts.  It could also be a case of Gruden Mortgaging the future but the restructure deals where horrible and the type of mindset I do not want our GM to have.  If we had shown we were a SB contender and needed that one piece to make a run I would understand but it seemed like we did it for a shot at the playoffs.  Nassib, Littleton, and Kwiat all need to be cut but it is going to restrict what we can do next year.  It is however the correct choice.

1 hour ago, drfrey13 said:

Nassib, Littleton, and Kwiat all need to be cut but it is going to restrict what we can do next year.  It is however the correct choice.

Nassib and Kwiat will be gone for sure, don't really see the value in cutting Littleton though since next year his contract is basically fully guaranteed money.

9 hours ago, NYRaider said:

That's fine but what has Mayock shown that gives you confidence that he's the guy to lead the organization going forward, especially in an off-season that will define our team for at least the next few seasons.

Who says he has to be in charge? He wasn’t de captain when Gruden was the coach. Mayock knows the draft very very well which is why these picks have been odd. He should know better than to draft Ferrell, Leatherwood and Arnette when he did. Which leads me to believe that he was strongly encouraged to draft these guys by coaches. Once again I think Mark needs to swing for the fences and try to hire Harbaugh.