Week 16 GDT - Tennessee Titans vs San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

4 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Look at Aiyuk here and how he has a chance to make a big play where he is singled up with the corner. No way would the safety be able to get there and make a play at the ball. This is what is so frustrating about Jimmy. He should know pre-snap that he will have Aiyuk in single coverage and he never even looks his way. With the way the DPI's are called, there is a good chance we get 40+ on this play. Say what you want about Mullens, but he would have given Aiyuk a shot on this play.

8 hours ago, 49to5er said:

Did you see the way Aiyuk punted the ball after his TD catch? I think that was out of frustration, like a “finally!” Type of gesture. 

These two things are completely related.

Aiyuk gets open down the field every single week, multiple times. He is constantly open to the deep part of the field, yet Jimmy will throw it underneath or won't even look his direction. I can understand why that would wear on a guy. Would be a different story if we had other players who would challenge the field vertically, so that Aiyuk could run more underneath routes to get YAC opportunities, but deebo and kittle eat up a lot of those opportunities and in order for the middle of the field to get cleared out, you need to have someone go deep to actually clear it out, and Aiyuk is basically the only legit deep threat we have due to his speed, so hes running deep, getting open, but then isn't getting the ball. 

Obviously Aiyuk had a slow start this year and thats a different issue, but Jimmy seems to have tunnel vision for certain guys. He has like 5+ plays every game where he pre-determines the throw and doesnt even bother to read the defense. its baffling. 

So, when a lot of the routes you run are 15+ yard routes down the field, and you have a ton of space to work with because you are 1v1, you set up your man, you break open and turn your head around, aaaannnddd the ball is being thrown to someone short of the sticks/incomplete/intercepted, and this happens A LOT, you are going to get pretty fed up with it. 

Aiyuk is going to be unlocked next year with Trey. Trey understands how much pressure throwing down field puts on the defense. He threw deep A LOT in college. He didn't complete a lot of them, there were times there would not be enough air under his passes and the ball would sail over people's heads, but I think we will get 4-5 of these 20+ yard deep shots a game with Lance and its going to do wonders for the rest of the offense. 

J and I have been clamoring for a legit deep passing game for like 10 years. lol. lets hope it finally happens

33 minutes ago, Forge said:

In theory, it shouldn't have been that impactful. As a team, we have 4 generally reliable offensive pieces (run game, aiyuk and deebo). One of those three guys always has a bit of a down game just because I don't think that our passing offense is that plentiful. Teams can try this, but I don't think its necessarily a winning formula. 

Yeah, I'm actually fine if teams do this against Kittle or even Deebo.....We have enough weapons where the passing game should still be fine. But when teams do this, that means we will be getting single coverage on the outside where you just HAVE to take shots. Anytime Tannehill had Aj Brown in single coverage, he gave him a shot. Same with Ryan last week and and then Burrow the week prior. Jimmy doesn't even look to take shots and it just makes everything way too condensed in the middle of the field. Luckily we have two ALL TIME YAC monsters that aren't scared to take hits in the MOF so the offense is still very good but we just leave way too much on the table on a weekly basis. All Jimmy had to do was pump fake in the direction of Kittle where three defenders would have jumped and he would have had someone wide open over the top all game long. I got to see how Juice got so wide open but that is a throw you just have to hit but one that Jimmy constantly misses on...Poor Juice man, he should have at least 4-5 TDs the last two years on those same types of plays but the QBs keep missing him lol.

14 minutes ago, N4L said:

These two things are completely related.

Aiyuk gets open down the field every single week, multiple times. He is constantly open to the deep part of the field, yet Jimmy will throw it underneath or won't even look his direction. I can understand why that would wear on a guy. Would be a different story if we had other players who would challenge the field vertically, so that Aiyuk could run more underneath routes to get YAC opportunities, but deebo and kittle eat up a lot of those opportunities and in order for the middle of the field to get cleared out, you need to have someone go deep to actually clear it out, and Aiyuk is basically the only legit deep threat we have due to his speed, so hes running deep, getting open, but then isn't getting the ball. 

Obviously Aiyuk had a slow start this year and thats a different issue, but Jimmy seems to have tunnel vision for certain guys. He has like 5+ plays every game where he pre-determines the throw and doesnt even bother to read the defense. its baffling. 

So, when a lot of the routes you run are 15+ yard routes down the field, and you have a ton of space to work with because you are 1v1, you set up your man, you break open and turn your head around, aaaannnddd the ball is being thrown to someone short of the sticks/incomplete/intercepted, and this happens A LOT, you are going to get pretty fed up with it. 

Aiyuk is going to be unlocked next year with Trey. Trey understands how much pressure throwing down field puts on the defense. He threw deep A LOT in college. He didn't complete a lot of them, there were times there would not be enough air under his passes and the ball would sail over people's heads, but I think we will get 4-5 of these 20+ yard deep shots a game with Lance and its going to do wonders for the rest of the offense. 

J and I have been clamoring for a legit deep passing game for like 10 years. lol. lets hope it finally happens

It's funny, because Trey is going to have the opposite issue that Jimmy has. We are going to yell for him to take the check down and not always try to take the deep pass LOL. But I'd rather complain occasionally about that then never taking deep shots as we do with Jimmy.

Like the refs call EVERYTHING for the offense and we don't take advantage of the deep ball game where corners would be called for DPIs on every other play. Such a shame man, such a shame.

Aiyuk is one of the best at beating man coverage and we have a QB that completely ignores him. The man has to be WIDE open for Jimmy to go to him. And then you will have people thinking he is having a down year when he is still getting open at the same rate as he was last season. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Forge said:

Obviously this still accounts for Jimmy on the team, but this is absolutely hilarious when you think about the fact that like a third of the team is a free agent. 

Imagine having an extra 25 million from this year to roll over, plus having another 25 million next year off the books. 

We would have over 60 million in space. HUGE difference! 

21 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Jackals with an axe to grind once Jimmy had a nasty game in two months:

Seriously though, he was a grinch in Nashville. He'll play better against Houston and LA though. Then the fleeting facade of love will continue until he stinks it up again. 

There are literally zero niner fans that were hoping Jimmy would turn the ball over multiple times in a game where the majority of the roster was playing really well. No one is happy that we lost that game, and other games, due to how careless he is with the football and how limited he looks when he has a bad game. (I get that you were halfway joking lol) 

Other teams' fans have said that Jimmy was QB purgatory. Too good to have the team he plays for to have a bad enough record to adequately replace him, but not good enough to win a Superbowl with without a great supporting cast. They were right. We were fortunate that he got injured in a year where the QB class was absurdly deep, and we were able to make the move to replace him.

If you don't want to buy that fans wouldn't know great QB play if it punched them in the face? Fine, then listen to Kyle, who is the one who actively tried to replace Jimmy with just about every QB he could (we tried to sign Andy Dalton lol) explain that to me. If Jimmy is this great QB, then why would Kyle want to make that move? Shouldn't that first round pick have been spent on a player that could help this great QB win a superbowl? 

Jimmy is completely capable of playing great for stretches considering the supporting cast which includes a top 5 offensive coach, the best LT in football, the best TE in football, a top 5 WR in football.

Despite the loss last night, this team is completely capable of winning a superbowl if things break right for us. Considering how Jimmy has responded to adversity in the past, it's totally feasible he finishes really strong and that we get into the playoffs/win a game. That wouldn't change who he is as a QB though, and it won't change that this is his last year with the team. 

Edited by N4L
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, N4L said:

That wouldn't change who he is as a QB though, and it won't change that this is his last year with the team. 

Happy to see him go, now. I was also aware of what he is.. but sometimes, what a player is.. isn't the apex of what he can be. My hope was that he could take those last steps towards being great. It just wasn't in him to happen, I guess, as I guess Kyle pretty well knew it prior to the draft decisions. 

Still. a small part of me wonders if he could have taken those steps, had we upgraded the OL, and had better injury fortune at RB. 

Bottom line is, Jim's just not worth the cap cost. Also beneficial to not push our rookie QB out there immediately, and behind that OL. Lance should be much better prepared in 2022. 

12 hours ago, Forge said:

Obviously this still accounts for Jimmy on the team, but this is absolutely hilarious when you think about the fact that like a third of the team is a free agent. 

But how many of those free agents are the actual big pieces. Its mostly bottom starters and depth that is a FA instead of the big ticket guys.

30 minutes ago, Forge said:

Big ticket guys, no. Starters and key rotational pieces yes

Sure but looking at that list i don't think anyone will get a significant raise from their current contract. Most of the better players have been very injury prone. Sure if we lost them all its a lot to replace so i expect enough of them back. 

1 minute ago, Justone2 said:

Sure but looking at that list i don't think anyone will get a significant raise from their current contract. Most of the better players have been very injury prone. Sure if we lost them all its a lot to replace so i expect enough of them back. 

On the bright side, on the main board I've been told that the 49ers have assembled the best offense and defense in the NFL and shanny is an amazing team builder and talent evaluator so we can withstand to lose these guys pretty easily

54 minutes ago, Forge said:

On the bright side, on the main board I've been told that the 49ers have assembled the best offense and defense in the NFL and shanny is an amazing team builder and talent evaluator so we can withstand to lose these guys pretty easily

Yeah that was a bit of a shocker to read. i do think though with how much fails we have had under this regime its pretty crazy how much top end talent we drafted. And most of our draftclasses if you include UDFA's and you redraft them according to production would be pretty damn good classes for the most part.