Week 17 Covid List Discussion

ET80

Reminder...

On 12/15/2021 at 2:57 PM, Webmaster said:

We'll try to keep this topic open to discuss all the players on the COVID list.  Please keep all your comments to football.  Do not discuss your thoughts on anything else COVID related. 

If you have comments or questions about forum administration, please PM a mod to discuss it, do not derail topics on the forum.

An outbreak in Vegas less than a week after they played the Browns is about the most predictable thing I’ve seen. Good work NFL. Way to not be forward thinking with an extra game and not having an extra built in bye week for rescheduling purposes, not to mention player health and game integrity where teams can play one another with some sort of full strength integrity.

Making Cleveland play Vegas totally depleted and Baltimore play Cincinnati this past weekend was a joke.

3 hours ago, MWil23 said:

An outbreak in Vegas less than a week after they played the Browns is about the most predictable thing I’ve seen. Good work NFL. Way to not be forward thinking with an extra game and not having an extra built in bye week for rescheduling purposes, not to mention player health and game integrity where teams can play one another with some sort of full strength integrity.

Making Cleveland play Vegas totally depleted and Baltimore play Cincinnati this past weekend was a joke.

To be fair, the outbreak is almost certainly because of community spread.   The local indicators in every city are lighting up with Omicron.     It's why Indy & New Orleans were the last hot spots, and sounds like Carolina & Las Vegas are going to be this week's.   It's no longer a case of who you've played, or where you're going to play.     It's also why the NBA & NHL are facing this issue. 

I believe 100 players tested positive yesterday.   Teams everywhere are getting cases.  It's not a case of getting it from on-field play.   It's just that rampant in the community.

Basically, Omicron can jump vaccination - which TBH, was only a matter of time (the reason why it cycled so soon, though - is almost certainly because the mutation rate shortens when you have as much infection pre-Omicron emergence <and where the lost opp with not getting US & the world vaxxed sooner>- more infections, same prob for mutation - happens sooner).    The good news is that the major goal of preventing serious illness is still present.   But it's also why the CDC amended their protocol yesterday to 5 days b4 return to work - I mentioned in the past Covid threads, but the 10-day practice was created with no actual data behind it, but done in the spirit of the precautionary principle, and in the pandemic phase with no vaccine to protect against serious illness (which current vaxx still does very well, and near-absolute in healthy young adults - at-risk individuals with pre-existing conditions, though are not quite so protected, which is why it matters to players with at-risk family members).   

And yes, it's being done because health care and key industries can't function with asymptomatic workers out that long.   Keep in mind, in countries where health care workers are mandated to have vaccinations for flu, the actual practice is 24 hours post-resolution of symptoms and no fever.   Of course, Omicron isn't necessarily identical to flu transmission-risk & timing-wise, but you get the idea that 10 days was a purely arbitrary #, and the data so far supports this 5-day approach as rational.     If anything, it's likely to go down further as more data confirms what we've already seen (read story below if you want to see the actual rationale).

I say the above not to go off-course on the merits, but more how I expect the NFL protocol to change to 5 days post-positive test, to mirror the CDC's recommendations.  With the CDC announcing this, I expect the NFL won't be far behind, at latest it will be next week, but could be as soon as this week, given the fact the NFL likely doesn't need NFLPA approval if it's CDC-approved.   Really hoping this doesn't get the thread locked, as the football implications of this news are very clear, and hoping ppl can stick to the football side of things.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 4

14 minutes ago, Apparition said:

The Colts beat the Patriots with Wentz going 5/12 for 57 yards and a pick. I'm sure they can beat the Raiders with Sam Ehlinger. 

The only thing is that at least you have to sort of respect the colts ability to pass with Wentz in there. The raiders are in if they win out, so you know they are bringing it. If they are heavy stacking the box and Taylor can't get it going, it could be disaster. Especially if the oline is still in shambles

2 hours ago, Blackstar12 said:

Im Not Surprised Nate Diaz GIF by UFC

Rivers on speed dial? if not Sam Ehlinger 😬

Problem is if the protocol doesn’t change with Nelson unvaxxed he’s out too.   Along with Leonard.   Could in theory have 5 backup OL.   

I get it with Rivers.  Every paycheck matters.   Dude has 20 mouths to feed.   

• Like 2