Week 18 GDT: Kansas City Chiefs (12-4) at Denver Broncos (7-9)

paul-mac

16 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Right call.  Both are back next year no need to risk it.   But Mahomes vs depleted secondary - if they can’t get pressure /  TO’s the bloodbath potential is sky high.  

Vic said in his presser this morning they PS2 Would be out 2-3 weeks so it’s really smart to rest him. Protect the hell out of that asset.

6 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Vic said in his presser this morning they PS2 Would be out 2-3 weeks so it’s really smart to rest him. Protect the hell out of that asset.

The risk with calf strains and coming back too soon is an Achilles tear.   No brainer call given what it does to CB’s (only RB’s do worse in terms of recovery). 

With Darby’s contract he’s coming back next year.  Given this is his second concussion in his career same idea.          

Doesn’t sound like Kenny Young is coming back either.  Hopefully this isn’t the last time he’s wearing Denver orange (provided the FA market for him isn’t insane). 

Edited by Broncofan

6 hours ago, AKRNA said:

This isn't an easy situation for Paton by any means. Vics turned our "no name " defense into one of the leagues best (9ppg lower than last year)with very limited talent.  

How he's done that with the constant turnover at LB and our talent poor DL I have no idea.

It's about as easy as it gets. He hasn't had a winning season in 3 years, despite what many would call a talented roster. His in game management has directly/indirectly lead to losses throughout the last 3 seasons. He almost never shoulders any culpability, which is leadership 101. He is not a head coach in the NFL.

As far as what he's done with our "no name" defense, it was one that many touted as, one of, if not the best in the league coming into the season. We spent a lot of money this offseason and even a top 10 draft pick reinforcing it, tailoring it to Vic's scheme. Sure, losing your starting ILBs hurts but there's a reason ILBs are so devalued today. Besides, outside of a few god awful weeks of Strnad starting, I think we all saw some impressive play out of Browning, Young and Griffith. Losing Von certainly didn't help either but I assume Vic had some input in that move as well. Playing 4 of the bottom 5 offenses (Texans, NYG, Jax and Lions) almost certainly buoyed our defensive PPG as well. 

Vic is clearly one of the best defensive minds in football but lets not act like he took a talentless roster and overachieved here. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rcpbawler said:

It's about as easy as it gets. He hasn't had a winning season in 3 years, despite what many would call a talented roster. His in game management has directly/indirectly lead to losses throughout the last 3 seasons. He almost never shoulders any culpability, which is leadership 101. He is not a head coach in the NFL.

As far as what he's done with our "no name" defense, it was one that many touted as, one of, if not the best in the league coming into the season. We spent a lot of money this offseason and even a top 10 draft pick reinforcing it, tailoring it to Vic's scheme. Sure, losing your starting ILBs hurts but there's a reason ILBs are so devalued today. Besides, outside of a few god awful weeks of Strnad starting, I think we all saw some impressive play out of Browning, Young and Griffith. Losing Von certainly didn't help either but I assume Vic had some input in that move as well. Playing 4 of the bottom 5 offenses (Texans, NYG, Jax and Lions) almost certainly buoyed our defensive PPG as well. 

Vic is clearly one of the best defensive minds in football but lets not act like he took a talentless roster and overachieved here. 

We'll have to disagree there. Considering that all our starting LB's ( a real strength on paper preseason) never played a snap together and were all gone a few weeks in and our DL still had issues ( @lomaxgrUK) has been harping on that for over a year and he's still right, I'd say Vic did lots of overachieving. Our defense has yielded 9 PPG fewer than last year and has gone from 25th to 3rd in that category.

2 hours ago, AKRNA said:

We'll have to disagree there. Considering that all our starting LB's ( a real strength on paper preseason) never played a snap together and were all gone a few weeks in and our DL still had issues ( @lomaxgrUK) has been harping on that for over a year and he's still right, I'd say Vic did lots of overachieving. Our defense has yielded 9 PPG fewer than last year and has gone from 25th to 3rd in that category.

Definitely not. It's one reason why Micah Parsons was heavily mocked, jewel and Johnson were totally replaceable. And, on paper, the secondary was considered the best in the league while a "finally healthy" Chubb+Von combined with Shelby and Dre'mont, our pass rush looked top 5. 

Yeah, things didn't work out that way and, after quarterback, IDL and pass rushers are clearly our primary needs.

In a grim game last week, I thought Jonathan Harris was a bright spark. Given how poor our DL has played this year, I am surprised he hasn't been given a chance until now. Hopefully he sees plenty of time on Saturday.

Kiser also had a decent game I thought, so I assume he's going to get plenty of minutes too.

Let's face it - this game could get ridiculously ugly. In my 20 years watching the NFL, I don't know if I have seen a team own another team more consistently than the Chiefs have us since Manning retired. Maybe Rodgers vs the Lions? Anyway, it hasn't been pretty. The line is at Chiefs -11 here in the UK; that is free money in my mind.

1 hour ago, lomaxgrUK said:

In a grim game last week, I thought Jonathan Harris was a bright spark. Given how poor our DL has played this year, I am surprised he hasn't been given a chance until now. Hopefully he sees plenty of time on Saturday.

Kiser also had a decent game I thought, so I assume he's going to get plenty of minutes too.

Let's face it - this game could get ridiculously ugly. In my 20 years watching the NFL, I don't know if I have seen a team own another team more consistently than the Chiefs have us since Manning retired. Maybe Rodgers vs the Lions? Anyway, it hasn't been pretty. The line is at Chiefs -11 here in the UK; that is free money in my mind.

Rodgers vs the Bears and Lions (Vikings sometimes give them a game)

Patriots vs Jets/Bills (Dolphins give them a game)

Us vs Raiders/Chiefs in the Manning era 

8 hours ago, rcpbawler said:

Definitely not. It's one reason why Micah Parsons was heavily mocked, jewel and Johnson were totally replaceable. And, on paper, the secondary was considered the best in the league while a "finally healthy" Chubb+Von combined with Shelby and Dre'mont, our pass rush looked top 5. 

Yeah, things didn't work out that way and, after quarterback, IDL and pass rushers are clearly our primary needs.

You have to add in Von and Chubb to the evaluation and then the expectations to pass on Parsons  were more easy to understand

Also, I think you have to add in CB as a need given how many of our CB's are free agents this year. 

Edited by Cutler06

13 hours ago, rcpbawler said:

According to rumours - Vic completely ignored the offensive side of the ball (and special teams) focussing his day-to-day energies on the defence. Effectively he is a DC with a HC title and has been ignoring the rest of his job description to make sure the defence can play every week. 

So - maybe Elway should have hired him as Joint HC with responsibility for the defence and hired someone else in the same capacity to do the rest of the job of HC. Then - maybe we would be missing the post-season for the sixth year running (and remember the only winning season in that run was Kubiak's 9-7 with Siemian as QB).

Edited by jolly red giant

Diontae Spencer has probably played his last game, mercifully ends now.    Agim not playing.....ehh, at least he won't get hurt, but not sure the reasoning otherwise.    Shamar Stephen is JAG (nothing wrong with that being vet min), might as well see if Agim can build on his limited snap promise. 

Massie added with a concussion - pretty clear if DEN is only going to retain 1, Calvin Anderson needs to be the priority as a 2nd round RFA tender.    Gonna be rough with Cam Fleming at RT.   Kenny Young out certainly hurts the ILB corps as well.  

Edited by Broncofan

14 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Jeudy beat his guy by 3 yards, 6 pts.....Lock missed by 2 yards.    Story of his career in DEN.

9 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Mahomes makes one of his 3+ TO-worthy mistakes (per game) that he's been prone to this year, when Pringle didn't continue the route - but massive drop by Ojemudia.  Huge for that drive. 

And just like that, what could have been a 7-0 game for DEN, or even just a 0-0 with decent field position, is now 7-0 KC.   Obviously early and a lot can happen, but it's a pretty fitting microcosm to the season.