The Vikings fire GM Rick Spielman and HC Mike Zimmer

.Buzz

14 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Are Viking's fans happy about this? I think Zimmer is a solid coach and honestly, y'all were on the **** end of the stick for a lot of really close games this year and easily could've been a 10-12 win team.

My opinion is that Zimmer is a great coach (if he has a strong OC to run the offense) and Rick is a great GM, but after 8 years with only 2 playoff wins, the organization just needs a fresh direction. It was the right decision to move on, but I expect Rick to have success somewhere else. 

• Like 8

27 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Are Viking's fans happy about this? I think Zimmer is a solid coach and honestly, y'all were on the **** end of the stick for a lot of really close games this year and easily could've been a 10-12 win team.

Yes, the vast majority of us are happy about it, although I've been calling for him to be fired longer than most so I am biased.

He's just consistently underperformed relative to the talent of the roster, and I think a major fluke win in the NFL Championship game in 2017 bought him extra time. He made some great changes very early on in his tenure to this franchise, but he was touted as being a defensive guru, particularly with the secondary, and yet, after all this time, was easily our worst unit. So many first, second, and third rounders thrown at the wall and he could never do anything with him.

He just couldn't adapt as a head coach. The NFL has changed so much since he started in 2014 but he was still the same.

Edited by joru1000
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

My opinion is that Zimmer is a great coach (if he has a strong OC to run the offense) and Rick is a great GM, but after 8 years with only 2 playoff wins, the organization just needs a fresh direction. It was the right decision to move on, but I expect Rick to have success somewhere else. 

Holy **** where has the time gone? It's really been 8 years? OK, I guess I kinda understand a little bit more now.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nads786 said:

As a Bears fan I would love to have Rick Spielman as a GM. His biggest mistakes were around the QB situation. He can draft talent.

This was my take - he saddled himself to guys like Sam Bradford and Kirk Cousins, but the rest of his work has been stellar.

I don't think a GM job is immediately in store, but a Director of Player Personnel role would be a good reset for him.

It's a discussion of "when" be gets his next GM job, not "if".

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DawgX said:

Does Zimmer get another HC gig this year? Maybe wait a year? If not, I'm sure there will be a ton of teams interested in bringing him in as DC.

I’m sure he’ll get another HC job eventually. He’s got a much better win/loss record than most of the top HC candidates this year.

12 minutes ago, ET80 said:

This was my take - he saddled himself to guys like Sam Bradford and Kirk Cousins, but the rest of his work has been stellar.

I don't think a GM job is immediately in store, but a Director of Player Personnel role would be a good reset for him.

It's a discussion of "when" be gets his next GM job, not "if".

His biggest issues have been 1st round draft picks of late and QB situation. If not for Jefferson his late 5 firsts would be brutal.

• Like 2

Rick Spielman is an amazing GM.  He’s one of the best drafters in the league and wasn’t afraid to make trades to fill our roster of a key starter goes down with an injury.  The Vikings have consistently been considered a contender because of the players he brings in.  He will definitely get another job.

• Like 3

Not really shocked that they fired both of them. I actually think that they both did a solid job here, but it was time to move on. And I think with the desire, eventually to move on from Cousins, they want to bring in the combo of a GM and HC who can start to figure out who they want at that position. Zim I don't know that he'll get another HC job, but he might do a co-defensive coordinator thing again, which I could see being a great fit. And Spielman, if he doesn't end up as a GM this year, he will within three.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

His biggest issues have been 1st round draft picks of late and QB situation. If not for Jefferson his late 5 firsts would be brutal.

Correct, Spielman’s drafts have been largely bad the last half decade. With the Vikes signing Cousins in 2018 to the contract they did, the expectation was to hit on those 2018 to 2021 first and second round picks to restock the roster. That never happened. Only good players to come from the first two rounds those years were Cook, Cleveland and Jefferson. Even going back to 2015, Trae Waynes was an underwhelming first round pick. Treadwell was a bust in 2016. 2017 was traded away for Sam Bradford.

Really, we went from the 2015 draft to the 2020 draft without meaningful first round building blocks added to the team, as in players you expect to develop and earn a second contract as a building block. 

2014 was Barr. 2020 was Jefferson. That’s a long dry spell in between first round success. 

There has been a ton of bad luck too, especially with Bridgewater. But that’s par for the course being a Vikes fan.

Edited by vikingsrule

2 hours ago, DawgX said:

Does Zimmer get another HC gig this year? Maybe wait a year? If not, I'm sure there will be a ton of teams interested in bringing him in as DC.

Based on how Zim has looked and sounded in his recent press conferences, a year off might do him a world of good.  It just seems like the pressure has been weighing on him.  A year off with that girlfriend of his could be very rejuvenating - if his heart can withstand it.