The Vikings fire GM Rick Spielman and HC Mike Zimmer

.Buzz

This seem to be time to make the change. You still have some solid pieces and could be one of the top tier GM/HC jobs out there. Whether you hold on to Kirk or not you should look at an offensive mind hc this time around as that offense can be explosive with more creative plays. I think Zimmer will bounce back as a top DC candidate for new hires. I did hear a rumor that Denver might make a move for Kirk if they cant land Wilson, Watson, or Rodgers as the GM has ties to Vikes.

• Like 1

Just now, DawgX said:

Does Zimmer get another HC gig this year? Maybe wait a year? If not, I'm sure there will be a ton of teams interested in bringing him in as DC.

Doubt he gets a HC gig but he'll be coaching a defense somewhere next year. He still has tons of respect around the league. However, he got exposed once some of our star players (Hunter, Barr, Rhodes) started to decline/miss games.

5 minutes ago, Nads786 said:

As a Bears fan I would love to have Rick Spielman as a GM. His biggest mistakes were around the QB situation. He can draft talent.

I love his drafting philosophy. I'd welcome him in NY as well.

Not to mention that, by all accounts, he seems like an awesome guy. Not sure I've heard any players talk about him one way or another, but that's the gist I get just by what I know about him as a person.

Edited by minutemancl
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nzd07 said:

Doubt he gets a HC gig but he'll be coaching a defense somewhere next year. He still has tons of respect around the league. However, he got exposed once some of our star players (Hunter, Barr, Rhodes) started to decline/miss games.

As a Vikings fan I believe he shouldn't.

He's not cut out for the modern NFL. The league is going in the way of the young, fresh, pragmatic, analytics guys. Zimmer is one of these old-school 'no-nonsense' types who preach discipline, and arbitrarily bench rookies even when they're playing great, simply because 'they're rookies'. The problem is, that style can work too sometimes, but Zimmer's teams were always so undisciplined so what's the point of that whole shtick?

Zimmer is like buying a mid-size pickup because you want more HP and towing capacity, but then finding out that it really can't tow anymore than a Tesla sedan, while the Tesla can do a million more things on top of that.

• Like 1