2022 College Prospect Thread

germ-x

2 hours ago, AKRNA said:

I'll get back to ya. @Winder23just gave me some IOL names to look at. I'm having fun now!

Zach Tom of Wake Forest is another interior guy to look at. Has played Center and Tackle but mostly tackle. Also Dohnavan West from Arizona State. 

One More name for you. He’s an OT. Matt Waletzko of North Dakota Haven’t found a ton of game film on him but his pad level and feet are impressive for a dude his size. 

The amount of Oline talent coming from FCS schools is really quite remarkable. My nephew plays at UNC in Greeley and his team sees some really good players. 

Edited by Winder23
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Winder23 said:

So the Broncos are looking at multiple interior prospects, namely at Center. 

Cam Jurgens, Dylan Parham, and Cole Strange to name a few.  

I fully expect them to take a Center and trade Lloyd Cushenberry after the draft for 2023 day three pick.  

I also would expect to see some action on the defensive line.  There are plenty of bodies on the roster, but only DreMont and DJ are what I would call good players. 

I really like this post. You nailed it as far as serious needs. 

Our roster looks pretty good except for the lines on both sides of the LOS. Oops! Pretty hard to win in the NFL if you're losing the battle at the LOS. We really need to pull some some serious talent out of the draft in those areas if we expect to compete.

6 hours ago, AKRNA said:

I really like this post. You nailed it as far as serious needs. 

Our roster looks pretty good except for the lines on both sides of the LOS. Oops! Pretty hard to win in the NFL if you're losing the battle at the LOS. We really need to pull some some serious talent out of the draft in those areas if we expect to compete.

Agreed. Cush is done. We're taking a C with a R3/R4 pick and probably inserting him into the lineup if I had to guess. Would expect to see DL in R2/R3 as well. 

My guess for the first 3 picks is some combo of: OT/C, DL, LB/OLB

For me a lot of the conversation with the DL revolves around what Purcell has left in the tank. Either way they need one more player for depth, but Purcell having another season of quality run defense in him would be huge for this group. It’s possible he’s just done as a player, though I do remember he had a pretty long road to recovery from the 2020 injury and that may have affected his play. Any nose tackle who doesn’t trust his body is going to get pushed around. 

DJ Jones is one of the best run stuffers in football so they’ve arguably improved from where they were last year. Need to find another space eater to pair with him to win those early down situations. And keep in mind with such a huge improvement at QB, they are going to play with more leads, that in itself will greatly help. 

Edited by BroncoBruin

8 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

For me a lot of the conversation with the DL revolves around what Purcell has left in the tank. Either way they need one more player for depth, but Purcell having another season of quality run defense in him would be huge for this group. It’s possible he’s just done as a player, though I do remember he had a pretty long road to recovery from the 2020 injury and that may have affected his play. Any nose tackle who doesn’t trust his body is going to get pushed around. 

DJ Jones is one of the best run stuffers in football so they’ve arguably improved from where they were last year. Need to find another space eater to pair with him to win those early down situations. And keep in mind with such a huge improvement at QB, they are going to play with more leads, that in itself will greatly help. 

I couldn’t agree more. I have been thinking Phidarian Mathis would be a nice get at 64 or even possibly 75. He has the skills to play three downs and occupy blockers. His off field resume is stellar as well. 

• Like 1

The nice part about going after run stuffers is you can likely get them a lot later than you'd place them on a big board.   Like RB it's a massively devalued position.   Wouldn't surprise me if we see this addressed, would be mildly surprising if it's one of the first couple of picks at 64/75.

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

The nice part about going after run stuffers is you can likely get them a lot later than you'd place them on a big board.   Like RB it's a massively devalued position.   Wouldn't surprise me if we see this addressed, would be mildly surprising if it's one of the first couple of picks at 64/75.

He proved he can rush the passer last season. To me, Mathis is a three down player that can line up anywhere from 0 to 5 tech. 

• Like 1

Doing a GM mock on another site. I traded down with the Texans. Gave up 64 and 96, got 68 and 80 in return. So no picks in the first two rounds but three picks in the top half of the 3rd. My game plan is to try and get three 2nd round graded players.

So far I’ve got:

68. Josh Paschal, DE/OLB, Kentucky

75. Sean Rhyan, OT/OG, UCLA

Targeting Chad Muma at 80 but we’ll need to see if he makes it 

Albert O. Is a terrific athlete and I think when he’s been healthy been a better player than Fant.

Thought TE could be a sneaky pick for this team early though and saw Kiper had Denver taking McBride at 64.  

Don’t know anything about McBride or any of these prospects, really.  If they’re taking a TE, though I think it’d be a more well rounded player.  

9 hours ago, germ-x said:

Albert O. Is a terrific athlete and I think when he’s been healthy been a better player than Fant.

Thought TE could be a sneaky pick for this team early though and saw Kiper had Denver taking McBride at 64.  

Don’t know anything about McBride or any of these prospects, really.  If they’re taking a TE, though I think it’d be a more well rounded player.  

McBride, Ruckert, and Ferguson are 3 day 2-early day 3 prospects that I like as do everything TE to act as a balance to Albert O. 

Finished my 4 round community mock now. Here’s what I ended up with:

Traded down with the Texans. They get 64 and 96, I got 68 and 80.

68. Josh Paschal, DE/OLB, Kentucky

75. Sean Rhyan, OT/OG, UCLA

80. Chad Muma, ILB, Wyoming

115. Jeremy Ruckert, TE, Ohio State

116. Phidarin Mathis, DT, Alabama

I’d be pretty happy with something like that 

3 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

I really feel like one of our first few picks will be a center. Getting that spot filled with a cost controlled player for the rest of Wilson’s prime would be massive. 

I wasn’t able to watch as much Bronco football this year as usual.  I liked Cushenberry coming out but he had severe pass pro issues even while at LSU.  Thought he’d still develop into a decade long starter at OC…….he was bad enough that OC is that big a need this year?

If a guy who can play OC is the best player available then sure, but I don’t see the Broncos telegraphing that as a pick.

As things stand you’re looking at a competition between Cushenberry and Glasgow for the role (Glasgow has surely lost his RG spot to Quinn Meinerz). I’m higher than some on Cushenberry but even if he fails to prove himself, you flip over to a veteran in Glasgow who’s played plenty of OC before and will do a good job. 

If there’s a guy that we like available then Absolutely turn the card in but I think this draft needs to be about best player available.