2022 College Prospect Thread

germ-x

1 minute ago, Cutler06 said:

Well, sure looks like it would be wise for Paton to move up to acquire better talent with his 8-9 picks. He also could think about restocking next years draft since he's plugged quite a few holes in free agency this year

A lot of those holes were plugged with one-year deals, however. 

I haven’t been able to follow the pre draft as much this year. I’ve done a couple dozen mocks on PFF and draftnetwork and read up on the players who keep popping up as available. Here are my favorites for 64/75 that are there at least 25% of the time.

CB ROGER MCCREARY, AUBURN, super smooth corner. He’s small though which will limit him outside. Reminds me of CHJ. 

TE TREY MCBRIDE, COLORADO STATE, better catcher than blocker but the closest thing to a do everything TE in the draft. Poor man’s Witten.

EDGE NIK BONNITO, OKLAHOMA, he’s a 2 down LB, but it’s 2nd and 3rd down. He will get swallowed up in the run game but is a natural pass rusher and covers well in short zone in the flat. I don’t really have a good comp for him. He’s so damn unique. Bigger slower Rodney Harrison? 

OL TYLER SMITH, TULSA, mauler like Muti that has played LT in college. OG with RT ceiling. Reminds me of Orlando Franklin

LB TROY ANDERSEN, MONTANA STATE, super raw, but a physical freak with the instincts to match. If he can put on 15-20lbs of weight he could be a poor man’s Urlacher in the middle of our D.

DL JOSH PASCHAL, KENTUCKY,  a likely 5 technique that can stay on as a DE in nickel situations. Lacks that elite burst/Bend but very good against both the pass and the run. Reminds me of Derek Wolfe.

DL DEMARVIN LEAL, TEXAS A&M, considered a first round pick coming into the season based off of last year and his freakish athletic ability. Now falling due to a subpar year (which looked like his first 2)  and questions of motor. A boom/bust prospect. Reminds me of Courtney Brown, and everything that entails.

LB BRIAN ASAMOAH, OKLAHOMA, quick twitch rangy LB who attacks the ball. True sideline to sideline capabilities. Undersized at 225. In the right scheme where he’s protected by a large DL and allowed to flow could be a star. Reminds me of Ian Gold.

T NICHOLAS PETIT-FRERE, OHIO STATE, another boom/bust player. When he’s on he’s a stone wall. When he’s off he’s a turnstile. Maybe it’s between the ears ala Garrett Boles? That’s a good comp. I’ll stick with that. 

• Like 5

BTW, Paton hasn't really tipped his hand publicly at all both last offseason and this one, so take it with a huge grain of salt, but it wouldn't be surprising to see him trade up from 64 if there's a guy they really want in the 50's....but then trade back from Rd3 onwards and get more 2023 picks.

It makes a lot of sense, because with the 1-year FA signings, it's hard for 8 rookies to make the roster, and frankly, you spend 5 picks from 64-120, it's REALLY hard to sneak a Rd3-4 guy into the PS.   So I could absolutely see dropping back to get a couple of Rd3-4 picks for 2023...when we only have 4 draft picks.  Makes way more sense to concentrate on 1-2 impact guys, and then maybe move down on 2 picks to get more 2023 ammo.    Still end up with 5+ rookies, but also maybe have 1-2 extra Rd3-5 2023 picks.  Then by 2024, we're at full draft arsenal.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Cutler06 said:

Keeps salary cap flexibility

Oh I agree. Wasn’t saying the 1-year deals, especially with the “FA phase 2” signings, was a bad idea. With a new and green (in their new roles) staff, George isn’t going to want to make a bunch of long-term commitments. 

8 hours ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

Agreed. We still lack a lot of quality depth/future starters.

Yes. I think if we can get four long-term contributors - they don’t have to be stars, and all of them don’t even have to be starters - in this draft and an extra two picks in next year’s draft, it will be a success. 

• Like 1

It's a smart strategy to get vets in on 1 year deals before the draft. It gives you flexibility to draft the best players, rather than feeling like you have to draft for need in year 1.

The best teams use the draft to plan for the future. If you hit on a guy that can contribute early, awesome. But drafting expecting that contribution is rarely a recipe for success.

Then again, that is what having a top QB can do for you. We could lineup today and compete against anyone, so we could go literally any direction in the draft and I wouldn't be surprised (sans QB of course ...)

• Like 1

Just throwing a position out there that’s not getting a huge amount of attention, but I’ve noticed in my regular TDN mocks that Isaiah Spiller and Breece Hall keep falling to 64. If that happens in real life and they’re BPA, should Paton consider having the best young 1-2 punch in the league, or is RB off the table to let Javonte be the main back? 

2 hours ago, paul-mac said:

Just throwing a position out there that’s not getting a huge amount of attention, but I’ve noticed in my regular TDN mocks that Isaiah Spiller and Breece Hall keep falling to 64. If that happens in real life and they’re BPA, should Paton consider having the best young 1-2 punch in the league, or is RB off the table to let Javonte be the main back? 

As nice of players those two guys are, I wouldn't invest a premium pick (top 3 rounds) on that position. If we want to throw some darts with our 5th-7th rounders, that's not a bad idea, but we have a good amount of depth at other positions that we should invest in. 

TE, O line (across the board but especially at RT), D line (across the board), EDGE, ILB, DB are all more pressing positions. 

I haven't really dove too deep into the draft this year given our picks are in the later rounds, but Cameron Thomas (Edge) is someone that intrigues me. If Ojabo is there, I would take a shot at him also. There should be a few ILBs that would be value at that spot too. Tyler Smith (OT) has been thrown around if he's available, could be a nice RT project for us given his upside. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, paul-mac said:

30 minutes ago, grizmo78 said:

As nice of players those two guys are, I wouldn't invest a premium pick (top 3 rounds) on that position. If we want to throw some darts with our 5th-7th rounders, that's not a bad idea, but we have a good amount of depth at other positions that we should invest in. 

TE, O line (across the board but especially at RT), D line (across the board), EDGE, ILB, DB are all more pressing positions. 

I haven't really dove too deep into the draft this year given our picks are in the later rounds, but Cameron Thomas (Edge) is someone that intrigues me. If Ojabo is there, I would take a shot at him also. There should be a few ILBs that would be value at that spot too. Tyler Smith (OT) has been thrown around if he's available, could be a nice RT project for us given his upside. 

Yeah you can’t really justify another Day 2 pick on RB at this stage.   If Williams was in his last cheap year maybe.  RB is deep this year so we could easily get a complementary RB2 outside of the top 100 picks.   

If we didn’t have Javonte could easily make the argument.   But RB is so devalued it makes sense to wait until Day 3.  We have no long term 2nd RB so I do think we’ll draft a guy with a view to 2023 being the 2 guy.   Wouldn’t shock me if MG3 returns on a cheap 1 year deal if he doesn’t get a suitor in next week.    

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

The beauty in what Paton has done in this trade and with the FA targets is Denver doesn’t need to rely on a rookie to contribute.

Its terrific in the sense of Denver not having a 1st round pick over the next 2 years.  It’s great in the sense that Denver isn’t forced to draft players with the expectation that they contribute now.  

If one earns the job to be a major contributor, that is terrific, but if they don’t (and almost none of them will) that is not cause for concern. 

It also opens up the ability to draft upside over NOW contributions.  I’ve read Denver is in on a couple of these athletic OTs that need work.  Perfect.  Denver’s in a draft and develop mode and not a draft and cross fingers they can contribute right away one.

• Like 2

One of the first three picks we have will almost assuredly be an OT. I also wouldn't be the least bit shocked, and I said this before the Paton interview, if we traded up from 64. If there's a contributor with some upside that slides, I don't think Paton will hesitate to trade up.

On 3/27/2022 at 7:50 PM, Broncofan said:

BTW, Paton hasn't really tipped his hand publicly at all both last offseason and this one, so take it with a huge grain of salt, but it wouldn't be surprising to see him trade up from 64 if there's a guy they really want in the 50's....but then trade back from Rd3 onwards and get more 2023 picks.

It makes a lot of sense, because with the 1-year FA signings, it's hard for 8 rookies to make the roster, and frankly, you spend 5 picks from 64-120, it's REALLY hard to sneak a Rd3-4 guy into the PS.   So I could absolutely see dropping back to get a couple of Rd3-4 picks for 2023...when we only have 4 draft picks.  Makes way more sense to concentrate on 1-2 impact guys, and then maybe move down on 2 picks to get more 2023 ammo.    Still end up with 5+ rookies, but also maybe have 1-2 extra Rd3-5 2023 picks.  Then by 2024, we're at full draft arsenal.

I LOVE THIS.  Everyone is trying to get a read on Paton, and you just can't.  I will do a mock on players I'd like to see the Broncos pick up, and potential FAs.  But, really, with Paton, WTFKs? He is better than Bellychick in terms of just contrite, short, misleading answers. You ask Paton if he would like to have 10 draft picks, and his answer is well, I'd like to have 10 dumps per day...and you have no clue what that even means...refrigerator 

Edited by jsthomp2007

On 3/28/2022 at 3:16 AM, lomaxgrUK said:

It's a smart strategy to get vets in on 1 year deals before the draft. It gives you flexibility to draft the best players, rather than feeling like you have to draft for need in year 1.

The best teams use the draft to plan for the future. If you hit on a guy that can contribute early, awesome. But drafting expecting that contribution is rarely a recipe for success.

Then again, that is what having a top QB can do for you. We could lineup today and compete against anyone, so we could go literally any direction in the draft and I wouldn't be surprised (sans QB of course ...)

Ya, 1-year deals allow you to draft on talent, not need. 

We are in a great position to go BPA.