2022 College Prospect Thread

germ-x

4 hours ago, germ-x said:

I wasn’t able to watch as much Bronco football this year as usual.  I liked Cushenberry coming out but he had severe pass pro issues even while at LSU.  Thought he’d still develop into a decade long starter at OC…….he was bad enough that OC is that big a need this year?

In short, yes. He seems to have maxed his potential and is still way short of long term acceptable. He'll never be the rock you need as a long term solution.

Two Maryland players I'd love to see us consider in this draft are Nick Cross (safety) and Chig Okonkwo (TE). Okonkwo is a sneaky talented player that never got any real integration into MDs offense until last year, largely because the QB play had been dreadful. I know we met with him, would be an excellent R4 pick, IMO.

Cross is a rangy FS with some ability to mix it up. I wouldn't mind a swing at him in R3, but I think there's probably bigger need areas.

21 hours ago, broncos67 said:

Two Maryland players I'd love to see us consider in this draft are Nick Cross (safety) and Chig Okonkwo (TE). Okonkwo is a sneaky talented player that never got any real integration into MDs offense until last year, largely because the QB play had been dreadful. I know we met with him, would be an excellent R4 pick, IMO.

Cross is a rangy FS with some ability to mix it up. I wouldn't mind a swing at him in R3, but I think there's probably bigger need areas.

I’m not opposed to picking up a safety, but I feel like “rangy FS with some ability to mix it up” describes a bunch of safeties on the roster already. Simmons, Sterns, Jamar Johnson, even KJ to an extent. 

If we do pick up a Safety I want a big meathead in the box who can make Kelce and Waller drop passes. We’ve never really had one like that since TJ Ward.

I see the draft as being in 4 parts:

Round 1 is for drafting day one starters who can hopefully develop into future pro bowlers 

Rounds 2/3 are for drafting guys who are very good backups/rotational contributors year 1, but can develop into future starters

Rounds 4/5 you can get good quality depth, even if they don’t necessarily ever become starters

Rounds 6/7 you’re basically just grabbing priority free agents and seeing who sticks

We basically have 3 picks in every section this year apart from section 1. It’ll be interesting to see what positions Paton opts to target 

Here’s my mock draft for the Broncos:

R2 (from LAR) - Travis Jones, DT, UConn

The Broncos should turn the card in if he falls to 64. In one off-season, we’d have turned our run defense from a weakness to a strength.

R3 - Drake Jackson, OLB, USC

Randy Gregory has injury and off the field concerns and Bradley Chubb is in a contract year. Even notwithstanding that, you need three quality edge rushers in the thin air of Mile High. Jackson would be a slam dunk at 75.

R3 (from LAR) - Jeremy Ruckert, TE, Ohio State

I am high on Albert Okwuegbunam and so are the Broncos front office, but the decision to trade Fant and turn the tight end position over to Albert is a projection on him developing into the player we think he can be. Bringing in a more polished guy in Ruckert is a good insurance move.

R4 - Pierre Strong Jr, RB, South Dakota State

Good pass catching and pass blocking RB. I think he would make a fine 1-2 committee with Williams, who’s more of a between the tackles runner. I’d love to get James Cook, but he will probably come off the board earlier, so settle for Strong

R4 (from SEA) - Cam Jurgens, Center, Nebraska

Lloyd Cushenberry III is a big question mark and Graham Glasgow looked washed up even before getting hurt last year. We need guys to come in and compete for starting positions on the interior OL.

R5 (from DET) - Akayleb Evans, CB, Missouri

We have decent starters at corner but very inexperienced depth. I think adding another young player will help push Ojemudia and Bassey on to give us some decent young depth.

R6 (from TB) - Micah McFadden, ILB, Indiana

Special teams standout, and will compete to make the roster as a backup LB

R7 - Juanyeh Thomas, SS, Georgia Tech

Backup safety but his main selling point is his returning ability. Our main returner Diontae Spencer is gone, so why not bring in a guy who returned two punts for touchdowns in college.

R7 (from CLE) - Tre Turner, WR, Virginia Tech 

Will compete with our other backup receivers for a roster spot 

Tried digging in a little bit his morning on who I think Paton could target based on what we learned in last year’s draft, and I kept coming back to one name: Brandon Smith. What are some of Paton’s (apparent) tells?

Big time program: Penn State

Big time recruit out of high school: 5 stars

RAS: 9.99

Add in the positional need, and having 4 picks between 75 and 116, where he’s projected to go, and I think it makes too much sense.

On 4/22/2022 at 5:06 AM, paul-mac said:

I’m not opposed to picking up a safety, but I feel like “rangy FS with some ability to mix it up” describes a bunch of safeties on the roster already. Simmons, Sterns, Jamar Johnson, even KJ to an extent. 

If we do pick up a Safety I want a big meathead in the box who can make Kelce and Waller drop passes. We’ve never really had one like that since TJ Ward.

I see the draft as being in 4 parts:

Round 1 is for drafting day one starters who can hopefully develop into future pro bowlers 

Rounds 2/3 are for drafting guys who are very good backups/rotational contributors year 1, but can develop into future starters

Rounds 4/5 you can get good quality depth, even if they don’t necessarily ever become starters

Rounds 6/7 you’re basically just grabbing priority free agents and seeing who sticks

We basically have 3 picks in every section this year apart from section 1. It’ll be interesting to see what positions Paton opts to target 

(64) Nicholas Petit Frere OT Ohio State 6’5” 315 - Won’t see the field much at all in 2022.  Will be ready in 2023 to start at RT. Many are projecting him at LT, but his 2020 tape at RT vs 2021 at LT proves otherwise.

3(75) Channing Tindall LB Georgia 6’2” 230 - Tindall is raw and untapped.  Will instantly play a lot on special teams and learn the pass game to be a better all around LB.

3(96) Alontae Taylor CB Tennessee 6’0” 199 - Taylor has so many qualities to him and his game.  Speed and a willingness to come up and hit. Improved his man coverage but his best traits come out in off man and zone.  Will also be huge on special teams as he excelled at them while at Tennessee. A fantastic gunner on punt team.

4(115) Dohnovan West C Arizona State 6’3” 297 - This class of C prospects is deep.  West is a fantastic athlete and has improved dramatically in 2021 after a move to the pivot. His 2021 tape is great.  In fact I find him more impressive than the more trendy pick in Cam Jurgens.

4(116) Alex Wright DE Alabama Birmingham 6’5” 271 - What a great upside pick.  Long, strong and a heck of an athlete.  Wright will end up at 5T but will still go out wider and inside more depending on the situation.  Versatility reigns supreme in the NFL and Wright is  a very versatile player.

5(145) Christopher Allen OLB Alabama 6’4” 241 - Allen is a freak show when he is healthy.  Really started to put it together in 2020.  Broke his foot early 2021 and missed the rest of the year.  Also had an ACL injury in 2018.  Good if not great athlete.  He can do it all at OLB, but can’t stay healthy.  Worth a shot in the 5th round as he can be real steal if he stays on the field.

6(207) Chase Lucas CB Arizona State 5’11” 185 - CHJ with more speed.  Probably not as tenacious, but their games are similar.  Lucas will surprise you if you watch his tape.  It’s pretty damn good.

Broncos trade 7(233) and 7(235) to Lions for 6(218)

6(218) Lucas Krull TE Pittsburgh      6’6” 253 - Big and kind of stiff, but has 4.6 speed and soft hands.  Always looking to knock heads off downfield blocking.  I’m surprised he didn’t get more attention from the scouting community.

One thing most all these guys will do is improve our team speed and special teams.  That’s the most important thing for them I  year one and maybe two.  

Edited by Winder23
  • Like 1

Quick Mock, no trades: 

#64 Trey Mcbride, TE CSU - a position of need, and local kid, why not? 

#74 Marcus Jones, CB Houston - great special teams guy who can maybe play some nickle? I know we need are returner

#96 Christian Harris LB Alabama - He may not last this long, but LBs tend to slide in drafts, so here you go

#115 Abraham Lucas, OT Washington State - Projects to go 2-4 rounds, if we can get him here seems like good value

#116 Matt Ariza, P San Diego State - I know, a punter in the 4th?  But we need a punter and he can also kick FGs

#145 Justin Shaffer, G Georgia - Could be a starter, could be good OL depth, which the Broncos always need

#206 Tariq Castro Fiedls, CB, Uconn - I don't know...good commentary on Walters Football about him.  I think the Broncos probably sign a CB vet after the draft 

#232, Max Borghi, RB, Washington State - I know we got MGIII back, but I read that Hack wants a full stable of RBs,

# 234, Jojo Doman, ILB Nebraska - just more ILB depth and special teams 

21 hours ago, jsthomp2007 said:

Quick Mock, no trades: 

#64 Trey Mcbride, TE CSU - a position of need, and local kid, why not? 

#74 Marcus Jones, CB Houston - great special teams guy who can maybe play some nickle? I know we need are returner

#96 Christian Harris LB Alabama - He may not last this long, but LBs tend to slide in drafts, so here you go

#115 Abraham Lucas, OT Washington State - Projects to go 2-4 rounds, if we can get him here seems like good value

#116 Matt Ariza, P San Diego State - I know, a punter in the 4th?  But we need a punter and he can also kick FGs

#145 Justin Shaffer, G Georgia - Could be a starter, could be good OL depth, which the Broncos always need

#206 Tariq Castro Fiedls, CB, Uconn - I don't know...good commentary on Walters Football about him.  I think the Broncos probably sign a CB vet after the draft 

#232, Max Borghi, RB, Washington State - I know we got MGIII back, but I read that Hack wants a full stable of RBs,

# 234, Jojo Doman, ILB Nebraska - just more ILB depth and special teams 

I’m not even close to up to speed as much as previous years (especially late in the draft) but I love your first 5 picks.

Ariza is such a weapon in the field position game. 

One thing to consider this year - the price to move up last night was way lower overall than in prior years.   Now part of that speaks to the middle tier depth that let sellers drop back for less than “book” value.  And the fact it wasn’t for QB.    But the price may not be as prohibitive as we think.  Something to watch for. 

12 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

One thing to consider this year - the price to move up last night was way lower overall than in prior years.   Now part of that speaks to the middle tier depth that let sellers drop back for less than “book” value.  And the fact it wasn’t for QB.    But the price may not be as prohibitive as we think.  Something to watch for. 

I think the cost to move up could go back to normal for the first half of the 2nd, as this is where the “value” for the QB’s exists. The first round was pretty weak as a whole, but the strength of this draft should be today. Lots of real quality prospects available in rounds 2-3.