2022 College Prospect Thread

germ-x

2 hours ago, Cutler06 said:

So after Stidham's pedestrian performance last night, should we be looking to draft TWO qbs in the next couple of drafts 

I'd think you'd want to take care of the OL issues first. If this group comes together, okay, but if not shore up the OL. We can get a top rated QB in the drafts after that.

39 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

I'd think you'd want to take care of the OL issues first. If this group comes together, okay, but if not shore up the OL. We can get a top rated QB in the drafts after that.

Well, not that I have any aversion to that, but your demeanor ALWAYS goes to the big uglies AKRNA 😁

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, broncos67 said:

Caleb Williams should be atop everyone's list. He's a generational prospect.

Caleb’s great, should make a great pro. I want to see more examples of him processing progressions though. A lot of his highlights are single-read’s that have been schemed open for him, similar to (but not as pronounced as) Justin Fields. Watching Drake Maye, he regularly makes reads at lightning speed. He’s the next Herbert or Lawrence, imo. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

Caleb’s great, should make a great pro. I want to see more examples of him processing progressions though. A lot of his highlights are single-read’s that have been schemed open for him, similar to (but not as pronounced as) Justin Fields. Watching Drake Maye, he regularly makes reads at lightning speed. He’s the next Herbert or Lawrence, imo. 

I’m impressed with Maye.   Caleb is almost a lock to be 1.1 though. 

Realistically we’re never picking 1.1.   But we could be up In range for the next tier.   Russ certainly is better this year but not enough to bypass if there’s a guy Payton is in love with.   

11 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

I’m impressed with Maye.   Caleb is almost a lock to be 1.1 though. 

Realistically we’re never picking 1.1.   But we could be up In range for the next tier.   Russ certainly is better this year but not enough to bypass if there’s a guy Payton is in love with.   

I know we don’t think Payton would tank a whole season, but…

It’s common knowledge that his greatest regret in terms of player personnel is not pulling the trigger on a trade up for Pat Mahomes. Caleb Williams is the closest thing to Mahomes that we’ve seen, and unless you finish the season with 1.1, the cost to move up to that spot will be immense. Is a stealthy tank job possible?

6 hours ago, broncos67 said:

Caleb Williams should be atop everyone's list. He's a generational prospect.

He also has USC stink. The last good QB to come out of there was Carson Palmer, every once since - Darnold, Barkley, Sanchez, Booty, Leinart - have all been total busts. Before Carson, there was Robb Johnson, Todd Marinovich, Rodney Peete and Sean Salisbury. Oof.

Lawrence, Luck, Peyton and Elway were the only true “generational” prospects.

Maybe Williams can buck the USC trend and, I will say this, after our first two weeks I will be watching USC much more closely this year and for reasons beyond destroying CU.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, broncosfan_101 said:

I know we don’t think Payton would tank a whole season, but…

It’s common knowledge that his greatest regret in terms of player personnel is not pulling the trigger on a trade up for Pat Mahomes. Caleb Williams is the closest thing to Mahomes that we’ve seen, and unless you finish the season with 1.1, the cost to move up to that spot will be immense. Is a stealthy tank job possible?

As bad as things are Payton has made so many improvements to our scheme I don’t see it.   We could easily be picking in the 5-10 range if it all goes south.  I mean it happened last year.   

But here’s the thing - players don’t tank.   Paton knows he’s on the hot seat.   Nothing Payton has done suggests he’s trying to lose.  

VJ IMO is just a terrible DC.   I don’t think he’s trying to tank he’s just not good at it.   

Given the talent we still have on the squad we’ll be good enough to win our share of games so that 6-10 pick is the range I think we end up at in a disaster scenario.    Which isn’t really a disaster if it gets us our QBOTF.   Obv 1.1 is only way you get Caleb.   But if we aren’t in the playoff hunt then getting the earliest pick is fine with me - just don’t see it that early this year.   If we lose Jeudy, Simmons and/or PS2 for extended stretches - then anything is possible.   But with those 3 and Payton coaching I think 6-10 us our pick ceiling.   

I remember it was asked if fans would accept the rebuild and tank needed after Russ was acquired.   I was ok with it then;   I knew it would come - and if it’s this year (or next), then so be it.   Just figured it was 4+ years down the line, and not 2+.   I don’t think the team is as bad as 2018, and so many other teams are going to pack it in early sooner than we will.   Oh well.  

Edited by Broncofan

2 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

He also has USC stink. The last good QB to come out of there was Carson Palmer, every once since - Darnold, Barkley, Sanchez, Booty, Leinart - have all been total busts. Before Carson, there was Robb Johnson, Todd Marinovich, Rodney Peete and Sean Salisbury. Oof.

Lawrence, Luck, Peyton and Elway were the only true “generational” prospects.

Maybe Williams can buck the USC trend and, I will say this, after our first two weeks I will be watching USC much more closely this year and for reasons beyond destroying CU.

To be fair it’s a different era altogether now especially with NIL.   I mean Stroud literally posted the best line from an OSU QB by a mile.    Obv only 1 game but even his college tape looked different (that Georgia game was ridiculous vs a pro level D too).