2022 College Prospect Thread

germ-x

3 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Do to you sell the farm to roll the dice on a rookie QB and have zero assets with which to build around him, thereby significantly increasing the risk you ruin him? When and if it blows up Sean can walk away and say “hey I tried but the previous regime dealt me a bad hand because of the Russ trade and extension.” 

Would I be surprised if we did this? No. The Walmarts want to win now and Sean wants to win now, a rookie QB buys you time with the media and the fanbase, or at least it should, Drew Lock might argue otherwise. 

But what is the better option? I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again as many times as I can between now and the draft - trade all the assets of value you have sans PS2; trade Bolles, Simmons, Jeudy, Sutton, etc., even if you take less than ideal. Not moving Jeudy for the 3rd+5th we were rumored to be offered was a major mistake by Sean and George. Then trade back from 12, get a late 1st, a 2nd and maybe a late rounder. Clear cap space, play the kids next year, likely end up with another top-16 pick. 

I’d like us to find a way to get something on the order of 18+ draft picks over the next 2 drafts (we currently have 13, 6 this year and 7 next). With that, draft BPA, regardless of what you have on the roster, with every single pick. 

See where you are two years from now with young, cheap roster than has some experience under their belt. Then go get your QB, being as aggressive as necessary. 

Totally agree with this sans trading Simmons. With Byard going for a 5th and 6th, that's just not close to worth losing a borderline All-Pro, great leader to help bridge to our new team. Least I would take for Simmons is two 3s but there's no way a team is paying that for an aging/paid safety. 

4 minutes ago, grizmo78 said:

Totally agree with this sans trading Simmons. With Byard going for a 5th and 6th, that's just not close to worth losing a borderline All-Pro, great leader to help bridge to our new team. Least I would take for Simmons is two 3s but there's no way a team is paying that for an aging/paid safety. 

Our one hope is that Byard was cooked when he got dealt.  I worry that’s about to happen but it’s not noticeable unless you’re really looking for it.   Amazingly enough not every FO does lol.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Our one hope is that Byard was cooked when he got dealt.  I worry that’s about to happen but it’s not noticeable unless you’re really looking for it.   Amazingly enough not every FO does lol.  

Well, the Titans traded Byard when they were in a losing slump, Simmons was not a true part of our slump, moreso he was part of our win streak I believe. Also, Justin did garner Pro Bowl honors again this year, hopefully his value would bring back more than Byards.

I may end up being wrong but I think Simmons skill set lends itself really well to being a productive safety into his thirties. He isn’t a slouch athletically but I think his mental processing speed is what makes him a great safety. The dude reads and reacts with the best of them. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just gonna bring this here where it belongs. Also,

In a follow up tweet, it’s noted that JJ’s average depth of target on these throws is 17 yards down the field, which is very high. This is probably part of that mythical QB moxie that we have trouble explaining: turning bad situations into dimes down the field. 

Also, Penix 😬

2 hours ago, broncosfan_101 said:

Just gonna bring this here where it belongs. Also,

In a follow up tweet, it’s noted that JJ’s average depth of target on these throws is 17 yards down the field, which is very high. This is probably part of that mythical QB moxie that we have trouble explaining: turning bad situations into dimes down the field. 

Also, Penix 😬

That Penix number is BAD. My god. Some of McCarthy's underlying metrics and numbers look good, but the eye test is just...bad to me. I dunno. There's a lot of smoke with him being linked here.

Right now the only QB I’d trade for is Drake Maye. Even so it’s a huge gamble that you’re taking your mortgage money to Vegas and playing the craps, red or black anyone ?? Think I’d rather utilize our picks this year to fill some holes, finalize the Wilson plan. We’re in the middle of a KC dynasty that we’re ill-prepared to overcome, may as well start laying a foundation for the future

Edited by Cutler06
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, broncos67 said:

That Penix number is BAD. My god. Some of McCarthy's underlying metrics and numbers look good, but the eye test is just...bad to me. I dunno. There's a lot of smoke with him being linked here.

Watching the games, you can definitely see that Penix isn’t comfortable outside the pocket, but I wouldn’t have guessed it was THAT bad. His body might really be cooked.

And the McCarthy number is a little juiced because he took quite a few sacks per attempt in these spots. Trying to do a little too much (or refusing to throw the ball away). Caleb was great in this regard: 1 sack per 11 attempts, where guys like Maye, Daniels, and McCarthy were in the 1:3.5 range. 

Anyways. Moral of the story, JJ looks like an incredible mystery box. He could be anything (he could even be a boat!). 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, broncos67 said:

5 hours ago, broncosfan_101 said:

Watching the games, you can definitely see that Penix isn’t comfortable outside the pocket, but I wouldn’t have guessed it was THAT bad. His body might really be cooked.

And the McCarthy number is a little juiced because he took quite a few sacks per attempt in these spots. Trying to do a little too much (or refusing to throw the ball away). Caleb was great in this regard: 1 sack per 11 attempts, where guys like Maye, Daniels, and McCarthy were in the 1:3.5 range. 

Anyways. Moral of the story, JJ looks like an incredible mystery box. He could be anything (he could even be a boat!). 

The other part of McCarthy is that his total throwing volume is way lower, and in ideal situations (play-action, with lead, strong run game) - so when you have lower volume, you don't throw the ball away & take sacks, the variance and #'s won't match the eye test.

Penix's issue with his mobility being purely functional is a legit one.   A pre-injury Penix would be with the best guys, but that's the issue with him.    At this point, given that his Senior Bowl did not vault him as the 4th QB off the board, I'd be shocked if he wasn't picked in late R2, or even R3 at this point.   This is when the shorts & t-shirt measurements and workouts with pure athleticism start to skew draft stock - and that's not Penix's profile post-injuries.   It's why McCarthy's stock is rising.

7 hours ago, Cutler06 said:

Right now the only QB I’d trade for is Drake Maye. Even so it’s a huge gamble that you’re taking your mortgage money to Vegas and playing the craps, red or black anyone ?? Think I’d rather utilize our picks this year to fill some holes, finalize the Wilson plan. We’re in the middle of a KC dynasty that we’re I’ll-prepared to overcome, may as well start laying a foundation for the future

I think that's the perfect approach and one I hope Sean takes.

On 2/15/2024 at 6:19 PM, thebestever6 said:

in joe Klatz mock they had us going Bo Nix over McCarthy God that would suck it also had Seattle picking MCcarthy that would rub salt in the wounds.

Klatt is a CU guy and thus a PAC-12 homer so of course he gives the Broncos Nix. 

• Like 1