2022 Free Agency

grizmo78

On 4/8/2022 at 1:46 PM, lomaxgrUK said:

I am actually quite surprised by this one. I thought we'd turn it over to Sterns this year. My opinion was Jackson really fell off last year and the injuries started to kick in.

The idea of a Simmons-Sterns safety duo concerns me a bit because they’re actually quite similar players I believe. Obviously Simmons is far, far better, but I see them both as centre field free safeties. Sterns for me is an ideal backup for Justin Simmons, whereas the Jackson role is different. I’d hoped that Jamar Johnson might take it, but he was anonymous last year. I wouldn’t be shocked if we draft a Strong Safety. 

44 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

The idea of a Simmons-Sterns safety duo concerns me a bit because they’re actually quite similar players I believe. Obviously Simmons is far, far better, but I see them both as centre field free safeties. Sterns for me is an ideal backup for Justin Simmons, whereas the Jackson role is different. I’d hoped that Jamar Johnson might take it, but he was anonymous last year. I wouldn’t be shocked if we draft a Strong Safety. 

In a predominantly two high system (Cover 2/4/6) you’re really looking for two rangy free safeties who both have the versatility to move around. So having two similar players is actually ideal in that set-up. It’s the defenses who predominantly run Cover 1 and Cover 3 shells where you’re looking for different prototypes. 

Edited by BroncoBruin

19 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

In a predominantly two high system (Cover 2/4/6) you’re really looking for two rangy free safeties who both have the versatility to move around. So having two similar players is actually ideal in that set-up. It’s the defenses who predominantly run Cover 1 and Cover 3 shells where you’re looking for different prototypes. 

Fair point. Ejiro Evero is said to want to continue the Fangio defense with lots of cover 2 so it’s possible that having two Free Safeties is a good move 

• Like 1

On 4/8/2022 at 1:55 PM, broncos67 said:

I have a feeling Jackson is going to be a sub-package guy when it's all said and done. If I read it right, the contract is pretty incentive-based. I think Jackson is cooked, personally. He can still hit hard, but people are equating that with him being this amazing safety. He can't play two-high anymore. 

I just always cringe at the thought of veterans in sub-package roles, especially every down positions like Safety. The reason I cringe is because then you have a guy playing minimal snaps that can't contribute on Special Teams. 

It's fine being a young guy that plays 20-50% of snaps because we know we're getting snaps on ST. Jackson ain't playing ST.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

While Paton did most of his work already, expect some more notable signings league wide now that we’re post draft and since the comp picks aren’t affected.  

Will be interesting to see if Paton takes another dive or 2 at the bargain tier for areas like DL & ILB (he noted ILB & T as not falling as they had hoped this draft - but T may have been more of a long term play while ILB depth certainly could use some help).   If it’s a cheap 1-year deal for the DL a guy like Akiem Hicks would be a nice get.  

Edited by Broncofan

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

While Paton did most of his work already, expect some more notable signings league wide now that we’re post draft and since the comp picks aren’t affected.  

Will be interesting to see if Paton takes another dive or 2 at the bargain tier for areas like DL & ILB (he noted ILB & T as not falling as they had hoped this draft - but T may have been more of a long term play while ILB depth certainly could use some help).   If it’s a cheap 1-year deal for the DL a guy like Akiem Hicks would be a nice get.  

Yeah I don’t see much point bringing another stopgap RT. There’s no one out there that’s gonna be better than Turner/Compton/Anderson. 

ILB - Maybe. There’s Joe Schobert, or you bring back Alexander Johnson. Those guys are probably an upgrade on what we have there, apart from Josey Jewell. It depends really on how high the coaches are on guys like Alex Singleton/Jonas Griffith/Justin Strnad, and also whether the Baron Browning to edge thing is legit. IMO, I’d be perfectly happy with Browning and Jewell as our starting ILBs and then Chubb and Gregory at EDGE with Bonitto and Reed coming off the bench.

With $13m cap space, I’d genuinely consider upgrading the backup QB (Nick Foles just got cut). I’m pretty worried that if we lose Wilson for a month, Johnson/Rypien would lose 4 games and that can ruin our chances of getting out of this AFC West. At least with a high end backup like Foles, you probably still have a shot to go 2-2 and not let the season get away. 

23 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

Yeah I don’t see much point bringing another stopgap RT. There’s no one out there that’s gonna be better than Turner/Compton/Anderson. 

ILB - Maybe. There’s Joe Schobert, or you bring back Alexander Johnson. Those guys are probably an upgrade on what we have there, apart from Josey Jewell. It depends really on how high the coaches are on guys like Alex Singleton/Jonas Griffith/Justin Strnad, and also whether the Baron Browning to edge thing is legit. IMO, I’d be perfectly happy with Browning and Jewell as our starting ILBs and then Chubb and Gregory at EDGE with Bonitto and Reed coming off the bench.

With $13m cap space, I’d genuinely consider upgrading the backup QB (Nick Foles just got cut). I’m pretty worried that if we lose Wilson for a month, Johnson/Rypien would lose 4 games and that can ruin our chances of getting out of this AFC West. At least with a high end backup like Foles, you probably still have a shot to go 2-2 and not let the season get away. 

Yeah the one position I could see an impact is on DL since both Jones are the 2 we can rely on right away.  If the $ is right Schobert would be a good 1-year play.   Singleton really is ideal for our ST but in a perfect world not a top 3 guy.     None of these guys are worth multiple years or any kind of $ commitments.   But this might be where you find cheap deals then as depth moves (other than DL) it’s worth thinking about.  

T was likely mentioned by Paton post draft  more so they could be ok for 2023 because no one of those 3 are signed for 2023.   I don’t think it will be a FA priority.   Turner was the best FA RT left by far when Paton signed him.  More that it was a clear 2023 goal and ideally you address it in the 2022 draft, and probably why Paton mentioned it.  

Edited by Broncofan

2 hours ago, paul-mac said:

I wouldn’t want to tie up cap space in a vet backup QB. Foles will cost a good chunk of that. 

I say bet on Russ’s health - he’s missed what 2 games in 10 seasons and that was only due to a fluke finger injury - the money is better spent shoring up depth, banking for a non-QB injury during the season and/or rolling over to next year when George and Co. will have a better idea of where we’re lacking and where we need more talent and depth. 

We have to play the long game. With a HOF QB who has at least 5 prime years left and a new and very green coaching staff, this year is about taking the step from afterthought to playoff team and next year and subsequent years is about going from playoff team to legit Super Bowl contender. 

• Like 4

On 5/2/2022 at 3:06 PM, AnAngryAmerican said:

I wouldn’t want to tie up cap space in a vet backup QB. Foles will cost a good chunk of that. 

I say bet on Russ’s health - he’s missed what 2 games in 10 seasons and that was only due to a fluke finger injury - the money is better spent shoring up depth, banking for a non-QB injury during the season and/or rolling over to next year when George and Co. will have a better idea of where we’re lacking and where we need more talent and depth. 

We have to play the long game. With a HOF QB who has at least 5 prime years left and a new and very green coaching staff, this year is about taking the step from afterthought to playoff team and next year and subsequent years is about going from playoff team to legit Super Bowl contender. 

I'd rather have RGIII over Foles if we need a better backup.  At least RGIII can run around and make things happen with his legs.  

13 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Imagine it’s a vet min type deal for Saubert.    Given how steep the rookie learning curve is no problem here.   Needed depth and he can play inline.  

I really like this move.

I think a few of us spotted Saubert in the preseason and were impressed. I look forward to seeing what he can do with a competent QB throwing to him.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, jsthomp2007 said:

I'd rather have RGIII over Foles if we need a better backup.  At least RGIII can run around and make things happen with his legs.  

I can think of another famously available QB who also has similar-ish traits to Russ that could be brought in 👀

• Like 1