Hypothetical for the 49ers

biggie.

I don't really see why 3 games would override 50 career starts from an evaluation standpoint, even if they come in the playoffs. No one was clamoring after Nick Foles after the 2017 Superbowl run. You have ample tape on the guy if you're any team other than San Fran, and if you're the 49ers, you have all that tape plus years of practices. You know who the guy is at this point. You know he isn't good enough to run with long term. A couple games strung together, even if they're awesome and meaningful for the franchise, will not change that evaluation. If it does, they're idiots.

18 hours ago, Danger said:

If you want my honest opinion? It'd feel a lot like the Nick Foles question a few years ago even though the circumstances are a bit different. Jimmy is what he is, he's a low ceiling guy who might not lose you the game, but he'll never win you the game.

Actually he will lose you a game, see the Titans for example...But he can also win you games in the 4th quarter. People act like he is Alex Smith but he is the opposite of that lol.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SBLIII said:

Oh, he still has a chance if he wins at Lambeau. 

Nah, even if he wins lambeau it's likely because of the run game and defense. 

As @Jakuvious said, we've had 50 games of evaluation at this point. He is what he is. Not good enough to ditch the plan, still good enough to find a job elsewhere

Just now, Forge said:

Nah, even if he wins lambeau it's likely because of the run game and defense. 

As @Jakuvious said, we've had 50 games of evaluation at this point. He is what he is. Not good enough to ditch the plan, still good enough to find a job elsewhere

I suspect he will be in a Colts or Broncos uniform next year.

Win or lose after yesterdays game I think it helps with his trade value. If I were a team like the Steelers I would make a move for him. I am sure it will be a 1st round pick but when are they going to get a shot at a qb with mid 1st round pick anyways. The defense is good enough to win them 7-8 games as we saw when Ben went down a couple of years ago. They are able to win now and be competitive in the division. You then can build up the oline and count on Najee running with Jimmy making key plays. When healthy he has been an above average qb. With that defense I think it would be an ideal spot for Jimmy and Steelers. Niners then recoup a 1st rd pick and clear that cap of 25 mil.

Garoppolo should not want to be a 49er next season if he's not the long term guy. San Francisco is very likely to regress next season, after rising sharply from 6 wins in 2020 to 10 wins in 2021. Garoppolo would likely be blamed for it even though it's mere normalcy.

This is a situational trend league. It is not a subjective league or a personnel league. If you ignore all the noise and the people who somehow think every game needs to be watched toward future subjective claptrap, you'll come out way ahead.

Similarly I posted on Dolphin forums last spring that Chris Grier was an idiot for making the trade with the 49ers if the 2022 first round pick was San Francisco's and not his own. The 2021 Dolphins were in regression mode after rising from 5 wins to 10 while the 49ers were in uptick mode after plunging from 13 victories to 6. You never want to be on the wrong end of one of those situational trends, let alone volunteer to be on the wrong end of two of them simultaneously.

Grier was remarkably clueless about that. It cost him a minimum of 10 spots in the first round.

But next season he benefits from the 49er regression scenario.

Edited by Awsi Dooger

23 minutes ago, Awsi Dooger said:

San Francisco is very likely to regress next season, after rising sharply from 6 wins in 2020 to 10 wins in 2021.

The reason for that is maybe the injuries? Bosa missed almost the entire year, Sherman, their top 4 centers, starting QB for 10 games, deebo missed 9, at one point they signed a dude at corner and had to play him 2 days later, etc etc. The 49ers basically got cleaned out last season. 

Not sure you can look at last year and this year and estimate a regression based only on the jump in number of victories

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I don't get the sense a return for Garoppolo would be that pricey, either. Some teams believe you shouldn't have to give up a first-round pick for him because it's known that San Francisco is probably ready to play Lance, thus hurting its leverage. Plus, his $24 million salary on the last year of his deal must be reworked. But Garoppolo has played well enough to garner at least a strong Day 2 pick.

-Jeremy Fowler

This is a man that is extremely plugged in and very good at what he does. 

Looks like we can get a 2nd rounder for Jimmy. 

Happily will take a second. 

Just now, SkippyX said:

Jimmy G and Lance combine for 35 million in cap hit next year. The 49ers can do some voidable hijinks if needed. They don't have to move on just yet.

They could see what Lance does next year / move Garoppolo at the moment a team gets QB injury.

If they hold him and he gets hurt again they'll get nothing back for him.