Whistlegate

RaidersAreOne

1 hour ago, Tk3 said:

Per the rules, you are 100% correct

In reality, the whistle had zero impact on the result of the play.. the ball was so close to the receivers hands and the defender was so far away

That was still an easy TD even without the whistleclose

Is it any different than having a toe 1/4" out of bounds?

There is no close, it either happened or it didn't.

Honestly either way it went somebody was getting screwed. 

If they blew the play dead the Bengals would have absolutely been screwed out of a legit touchdown.

And by letting the play stand they screwed the Raiders out of benefiting from a blown, bad call.

I can't bring myself to have any sympathy for the Raiders on this one.

• Like 18

9 minutes ago, BofaDeez54927 said:

Is it any different than having a toe 1/4" out of bounds?

There is no close, it either happened or it didn't.

The point is, the Raiders SHOULD have been saved by a technicality. But it's still a technicality.

The reality of the play was they gave up a TD

By rule, the play shouldn't have counted.. but I don't feel like some injustice was done. Had the whistle ACTUALLY effected the play, I'd be much more upset about it

16 minutes ago, Kael said:

If they blew the play dead the Bengals would have absolutely been screwed out of a legit touchdown.

And by letting the play stand they screwed the Raiders out of benefiting from a blown, bad call.

This basically sums it up perfectly.

2 hours ago, Tk3 said:

Per the rules, you are 100% correct

In reality, the whistle had zero impact on the result of the play.. the ball was so close to the receivers hands and the defender was so far away

That was still an easy TD even without the whistle

This is exactly it. This shouldn’t be such a big deal.

It would have been absolutely awful if that play was ruled dead.

1 hour ago, Kael said:

The lesser of two screws

1 hour ago, Kael said:

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/2/2/5360810/super-bowl-2014-reviewable-plays-nonreviewable-broncos-seahawks

By the rules, they couldn't overturn the call. You can't overturn a score based on the whistle. Would be like overturning a TD by ruling somebody held on the play; after the fact. Everything done after it was ruled a TD was by the book.

But the whistle should've killed the play. Which would make all that moot.

****ty situation.

Eh, it happened so early in the game, who knows what happens to CIN's play calling in the RZ if it's a FG there instead of a TD.   

I get it's a technicality, but the reality is they scored the TD straight up.   I have no problem with the call.   And the fallacy is that the game would have played out the same way with a different score - there's no way to know.   Cincy was the more deserving team, and this wasn't the last play of the game (or functionally the last), so I can't really get that worked up about it.  

Cin gets the W, doubt anyone will raise this ever again after next week and say it cost the Raiders the game (but may point out how the rule needs change later on), other than Raider fans (which I'm not trying to portray differently than any other losing team in this situation, the losing team fanbase always remembers lol).

Edited by Broncofan

1 hour ago, Dr A W Niloc said:

An official thought the passer was out of bounds before the ball was thrown (let alone caught) and blew the whistle.

End of play.  End of story. 

The rest is noise.

Legit though, there was a delay on the whistle. When I watched it live, I thought it was bang-bang. The ball was almost to the receiver when the whistle blew. Just really strange that the ref decided to blow the whistle at all. Let the play go and make the Raiders challenge it if they think he is out of bounds. All scoring plays being reviewed, it wouldn't have been necessary, but the call should have absolutely been the play was dead with Joe Burrow "stepping" out of bounds with the ball in his hand because some dude couldn't wait to blow his whistle.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I had my fun in the GDT and I am not going to be one of those fans that only thinks we lost because of the refs. However I am unpleased with the officials today. I will leave it at that.

I found it very strange that NBC took a long time to even acknowledge/talk about the play. I rewound my TV a couple of times to hear the whistle again live before NBC finally showed the replay. There's a noticeable difference between the live version and the replay.

NBC delayed the sound of the ref whistle on their replay to make the error seem less noticeable.

Edited by Tony7188

I think much more is being made of this than there needs to be. Don’t get me wrong, if I’m a Raiders fan, I’m furious about it, but I don’t believe the whistle affected the outcome of the play.

No one was near the receiver or was anywhere near making a play on the ball when the whistle went. 

It would have been significantly more unfair to the Bengals to chop off the TD than it was to the Raiders for allowing it to stand.

• Like 2