2022 Offseason Thread

EaglesPeteC

1 minute ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Considering what a mess our organization was last year from front office to HC to starting QB. I think we should be happy with what transpired this year is all.

Meh.

I am very happy and have maintained the same expectations dating back to before the season. I think Hurts held this team back that much man. I really do. 

2 minutes ago, EagleBlueDon said:

I am very happy and have maintained the same expectations dating back to before the season. I think Hurts held this team back that much man. I really do. 

I mean considering he didn't have a real offseason last year and got inserted late in the season this was really Hurts rookie year. Of course he's gonna hold the team back.

I get the frustration, but I think he did as well or better than I expected coming in and his intangibles are big for where we are at as a franchise rn. I definitely want a better passer eventually. Not sure it has to be this year. 

Minshew is still under contract as a back-up. Maybe they bring in a veteran to the room. I don't think we should be hasty with building this team back. We are still definitely bottom half of the league in talent.

Edited by TheRealMcCoy
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Considering what a mess our organization was last year from front office to HC to starting QB. I think we should be happy with what transpired this year is all.

Despite today's outcome and everyone's infatuation with the draft. I'd still rather not be a Giants, WTF or Texans fan right now.

Give me a playoff appearance with an opportunity at a ring (regardless of how unlikely) instead all day long.

3 minutes ago, EagleBlueDon said:

Yeah I definitely wasn't referring to a rookie qb hell no. We're a top qb away. A lot of teams are that though. 

I think the team can still take a step next year even with Hurts at QB and then in 2023 when our cap situation is even better and we have a pretty good QB class hopefully, then we can address QB. This just might not be the year for that, but we'll see.

4 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

Ya maybe a Rodgers or Mahomes away. We aren’t a rookie QB away though. 

Yup, 2023 is a way better class.

Make a better team this year and you’ll know where things sit in 2023.

If Hurts doesn’t improve you move to get up and get a guy.

Way too many spots need addressing.

13 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

I mean considering he didn't have a real offseason last year and got inserted late in the season this was really Hurts rookie year. Of course he's gonna hold the team back.

I get the frustration, but I think he did as well or better than I expected coming in and his intangibles are big for where we are at as a franchise rn. I definitely want a better passer eventually. Not sure it has to be this year. 

Minshew is still under contract as a back-up. Maybe they bring in a veteran to the room. I don't think we should be hasty with building this team back. We are still definitely bottom half of the league in talent.

I'd hold an honest qb competition between those two guys. It's hard to even envision that though bc they're two totally different qbs that necessitate two totally different offenses and it'd be hard constantly changing the whole offense. I just feel like not only does Hurts cap our ceiling lower than desired, but the offense he requires does as well. Keeping Hurts as the guy and not trading for a big time guy, the earliest I see us being anywhere close to legitimate super bowl contenders is 2024 with our new guy we pick in 2023 in his second year Ala Carson Wentz. 

How I see it:

QB:  Yeah, maybe it could be better, but it is not the worst of the issues.  Plus, I am not enamored with anyone who is coming out.  At the very least, Hurts buys you another year.  I love having Minshew as a back-up.  As far as trading for a veteran starter, the team is too young for Wilson and the price is too high for Watson.

RB:  I am not convinced of Miles Sanders.  He is due a payday and I think he will get more elsewhere.  After that, three of the four, Gainwell, Scott and Huntley are midgets.  That leaves just Howard.  Fortunately, the Eagles can add a bigger back in the 4th or later.  Not that he is a power back, but may I suggest Rachaad White?

WR:  This is a need, but not in the draft.  Hurts has 1.5 receivers (Smith + Watkins) at the moment.  The right move is to populate the roster with free agents of both the UDFA and UFA types.  Juju Smith-Schuster, DJ Chark, Zay Jones, Cedrick Wilson, Josh Reynolds, Christian Kirk, Michael Gallup and Equanimeous St. Brown are there as of now.  Pick one, pick two if you like.  Add it to a 5th rounder.  Just don't tell me the Eagles need a receiver in the 1st.  They wouldn't even get it right.

TE:  This has become a modest need.  Stoll has made so many mistakes.  Jackson, too.  Rodgers is Rodgers.  Expect an early day three pick.

OL:  I grouped them together because the unit is good.  I don't see anything here unless there is an insane value pick.

I will do defense later.

2 minutes ago, babyatemydingo said:

How I see it:

QB:  Yeah, maybe it could be better, but it is not the worst of the issues.  Plus, I am not enamored with anyone who is coming out.  At the very least, Hurts buys you another year.  I love having Minshew as a back-up.  As far as trading for a veteran starter, the team is too young for Wilson and the price is too high for Watson.

RB:  I am not convinced of Miles Sanders.  He is due a payday and I think he will get more elsewhere.  After that, three of the four, Gainwell, Scott and Huntley are midgets.  That leaves just Howard.  Fortunately, the Eagles can add a bigger back in the 4th or later.  Not that he is a power back, but may I suggest Rachaad White?

WR:  This is a need, but not in the draft.  Hurts has 1.5 receivers (Smith + Watkins) at the moment.  The right move is to populate the roster with free agents of both the UDFA and UFA types.  Juju Smith-Schuster, DJ Chark, Zay Jones, Cedrick Wilson, Josh Reynolds, Christian Kirk, Michael Gallup and Equanimeous St. Brown are there as of now.  Pick one, pick two if you like.  Add it to a 5th rounder.  Just don't tell me the Eagles need a receiver in the 1st.  They wouldn't even get it right.

TE:  This has become a modest need.  Stoll has made so many mistakes.  Jackson, too.  Rodgers is Rodgers.  Expect an early day three pick.

OL:  I grouped them together because the unit is good.  I don't see anything here unless there is an insane value pick.

I will do defense later.

I love Rachaad White(obviously an ASU fan). He would be a great mid round pick imo. 

1 hour ago, babyatemydingo said:

How I see it:

I will do defense later.

Agree on most, but we can definitely take a receiver in the 1st again and it shouldn't be that hard to get it right and FA WR deals rarely work out well.

If we can get good value on a WR in FA, then go for it. I want to add a vet to the room for sure with Ward being the senior in the room now, but it doesn't have to be an expensive pick up. It could just be a guy who is gonna be good for the locker room and a solid reliable target that can be WR 3/4. I'm sure Gallup will still be a good amount of money even with the injury. Cowboys probably keep Wilson around if Gallup is out which I expect to happen. Most of the FA WRs you listed are solid, but unspectacular... meh.

Another back on day 3 is a must.

As far as TE we may draft one later on day 3, sure, but those are a rookie UDFA you're talking about and a guy who is playing TE for the first time in his life and barely played this year.

Edited by TheRealMcCoy

3 hours ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

We need to build a team. If we were a QB away this mindset might work…. We aren’t. Hurts gets one more year to see if he can improve even if it is unlikely. 

I assume you mean trading for a QB.

You draft a QB if the guy is there. But like no one really high caliber in this draft. Corral in the first if he falls would be valid, but with how needy teams are for QBs who knows.

I have a gut feeling the Giants are going to shoot and miss again with Kenny Pickett at #7

I think the Eagles should target Marcus Mariota in free agency. Sign him for a short term deal. I think that's a way that the team can hedge their bet on Hurts. My reasoning is that Mariota has the ability to run an offense similar to the one we ran with Hurts and would facilitate the competition/evaluation process. Let him and Hurts battle compete for the starting job next year. Mariota would be my number one choice for that scenario. Trubisky could possibly provide the something similar but at his age, I think some team may price him out of the range the Eagles would want to pay in that situation. Also, I wouldn't be looking at Mariota as a possible long term option which people may potentially see Trubisky as.  With Hurts and Minshew on rookie contracts, they could afford it but I think Minshew would likely be traded sometime in the off-season in that scenario (I'm assuming Minshew would want to go to team where he had a better shot at starting and the Eagles would oblige). I'd be a lot more confident in getting adequate QB play next year in this scenario.