2022 Offseason Thread

EaglesPeteC

27 minutes ago, Folesadelphia said:

I think the Eagles should target Marcus Mariota in free agency. Sign him for a short term deal. I think that's a way that the team can hedge their bet on Hurts. My reasoning is that Mariota has the ability to run an offense similar to the one we ran with Hurts and would facilitate the competition/evaluation process. Let him and Hurts battle compete for the starting job next year. Mariota would be my number one choice for that scenario. Trubisky could possibly provide the something similar but at his age, I think some team may price him out of the range the Eagles would want to pay in that situation. Also, I wouldn't be looking at Mariota as a possible long term option which people may potentially see Trubisky as.  With Hurts and Minshew on rookie contracts, they could afford it but I think Minshew would likely be traded sometime in the off-season in that scenario (I'm assuming Minshew would want to go to team where he had a better shot at starting and the Eagles would oblige). I'd be a lot more confident in getting adequate QB play next year in this scenario.

We talked about it before, but he’s been one of the few compelling options to be on the open market this offseason.

However things are murkier now. I don’t know if they’d want to take such a middling step. Like draft/trade for what you think is a definitive upgrade, if not roll with Jalen, Minshew and maybe draft a raw guy late to develop. Mariota isn’t going to offer you much more than Jalen can.

53 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

We talked about it before, but he’s been one of the few compelling options to be on the open market this offseason.

However things are murkier now. I don’t know if they’d want to take such a middling step. Like draft/trade for what you think is a definitive upgrade, if not roll with Jalen, Minshew and maybe draft a raw guy late to develop. Mariota isn’t going to offer you much more than Jalen can.

I wouldn't expect him to be be better than Hurts or at least not significantly better. I think he would be a good fit as competition for Hurts. However, I'd be rooting for Hurts to win the competition outright. Maybe, like I said about Trubisky, Mariota would be too expensive to consider for this type of situation but the goal would be to add competition and then be the backup to Hurts. Hurts and Mariota have similar traits and I think he would fit better as a backup than Minshew. I think it's better for the offense if the backup can run the offense in a similar manner as the starter. I think Minshew may want to go somewhere else to compete anyway this off-season. 

1 hour ago, Nabbs4u said:

Can't believe you actually think Mariota and Trubisky would or could be better options? 

The hate is strong with this one!

I never said Mariota and Trubisky "would" be better options. To say they "couldn't" be better than Hurts is ridiculous. As I said, Trubisky likely is not an option because he is still young. His youth likely precludes him from signing another short-term, team-friendly contract with the Eagles as he did with the Bills. I am suggesting that the Eagles could hedge their bet on Hurts but they'd still be betting on Hurts. I also don't hate Hurts, I can root for him to succeed while also being realistic about what I am witnessing. It's fine to be critical of him (or any player for that matter) when he plays poorly. He did not play well this game and absolutely left points on the board. He needs to work on processing the field faster and throwing with better anticipation to name a couple of weaknesses. If you can't see how much work he needs as a passer then I don't know what to tell you. 

11 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I'm going to look it up, but off the top of my head, my guess would be Steve Young or someone from before the early 70s. 

It's probably Wilson (539) when he was a running QB and had LOB to win a SB. 

He had (849) the next season

Edited by Nabbs4u

Just now, MikeT14 said:

I'm going to look it up, but off the top of my head, my guess would be Steve Young or someone from before the early 70s. 

1 minute ago, Nabbs4u said:

It's probably Wilson. Might end up being Josh Allen this year.

Young: 294 (which was a low for him up to that point)

Rodgers: 356

Wilson: 539

Nice job. 

• Like 1

Hurts can be the answer for next year, but all in all, from what I saw this year I don't think he's viable as a long term answer, unless you like being limited to mediocrity as a team. His ceiling will never be that which can make this team into a contender. He's probably the best guy for the job next season so let him have it.