Kirk Cousins Thread: Keep, Cut, Trade?

gopherwrestler

10 hours ago, JDBrocks said:

It was about football. You posted something demonstrably false that was easy to check, and I called you on it.

Perhaps you should reread what you posted then, and you're still discussing me, and not football. 

Like I said though, if you're incapable of just sticking to football, PM me, or better yet, ignore me.

Assuming Harbaugh is the hire. How many people here would be against or for trading for Deshaun Watson? IF Watson is cleared legally ONLY & we could include or somehow offload Kirk. 

The Harbaugh move would seem to be a win now move. I would think its more likely Cousins stays & is extended if JH gets the job. But some people have not dismissed the idea of Watson, notably Ben Allbright & Doogie Wolfson.

I know this is potentially a sensitive subject. But Watson will play again and when he does, he is a top 6-8 QB. And could come at somewhat of a discount, compensation wise. 

7 minutes ago, Eric dunn said:

Assuming Harbaugh is the hire. How many people here would be against or for trading for Deshaun Watson? IF Watson is cleared legally ONLY & we could include or somehow offload Kirk. 

The Harbaugh move would seem to be a win now move. I would think its more likely Cousins stays & is extended if JH gets the job. But some people have not dismissed the idea of Watson, notably Ben Allbright & Doogie Wolfson.

I know this is potentially a sensitive subject. But Watson will play again and when he does, he is a top 6-8 QB. And could come at somewhat of a discount, compensation wise. 

Zero interest in rooting for him. Zero. Also, no way he's cleared to play next year, imo. But I'd likely not watch one Vikings game or root for them at all if they bring him on. Does the person not matter at all to some people? You really want to root for him?

8 minutes ago, Eric dunn said:

I really think KC gets extended if Harbaugh lands the HC job. He’ll get the most out of Cousins and will give the team the best and most direct path to the playoffs. If Harbaugh is hired, it’s Kirk’s team. Improve the defense, improve the coaching and Harbaugh gets you to the doorstep of the NFC championship. Super Bowl? Who knows. 

• Like 1

I like the idea of extending Cousins and drafting Willis if Harbaugh is the guy. I'd also be very open to finding a trade partner to send Cousins out and sign a bridge QB like Mariota, Trubisky (never thought I'd type that), or Teddy.

35 minutes ago, Eric dunn said:

Big difference from legally cleared and actually cleared. I think there would have to be a ton of information, enough, to prove somehow he was framed or something along those lines for me to agree with the trade for the Vikings. If that happened I don't even know what would happen with the NFL and team if something like this where to actually happen.

(all this said is not trying to say I don't believe the allegations and am supporting Watson, just a theory) 

It doesn't matter what I think (I wouldn't want him), but the Vikings' ownership would not support bringing in Watson either, because they've made an emphasis on character and there's zero question that Watson doesn't meet that standard of character.

• Like 1

I'm generally in favor of letting the legal process play itself out, and against private employers dispensing vigilante justice when vocal segments of the population don't feel the legal system has meted out a sufficient punishment. I felt this way about Adrian Peterson, Ray Rice, etc.  

That said, the NFL is going to do what is best for its image. I do not foresee the NFL allowing Watson to play for as long as he has any pending legal case open; criminal or civil. If Watson settles all 22 civil cases with an agreement that the women will not testify or participate in criminal cases, that will take care of his legal issues. However, the pressure on the NFL will be great to hand down further punishment. And they will. Watson will not play next season, in my opinion. If the criminal cases proceed, he likely won't play in 2023 either. 

So by the time he plays another game in the NFL, he will have been out of action for at least 2 years. From a merely football perspective, I'm not giving up draft assets for that. 

That doesn't even get into whether I would want to cheer for a guy who (allegedly) is a serial sexual predator.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, swede700 said:

It doesn't matter what I think (I wouldn't want him), but the Vikings' ownership would not support bringing in Watson either, because they've made an emphasis on character and there's zero question that Watson doesn't meet that standard of character.

Russell Wilson fits that standard, but I doubt that we'd make a move for him, or that he'll even be available to be traded.

Cousins’ trade value now escalates thanks to the Rams reaching the Super Bowl. Rational football minds residing in NFL front offices will parallel Cousins to Stafford based on the numbers. Give Cousins a Beckham, Ramsey, Miller, Donald, Kupp, Woods, and watch what happens. Football is the ultimate team sport, not quarterbacks flinging the ball against like a slingshot to themselves. Surrounding Stafford – who was acquired for a king’s ransom from Detroit – with mass roster talent worked. A franchise could do the same for Cousins and reasonably expect to prosper.

Matthew Stafford vs. Kirk Cousins,
Last 50 Starts:

Stafford —
1,722 Pass Attempts
13,334 Passing Yards
93 Passing TDs
37 INTs
65.39 Comp %
97.9 Passer Rating

Cousins —
1,603 Pass Attempts
12,689 Passing Yards
100 Passing TDs
27 INTs
67.56 Comp %
105.1 Passer Rating

https://vikingsterritory.com/2022/general-news/the-price-tag-for-a-kirk-cousins-trade-just-went-way-up

• Like 1

10 hours ago, vike daddy said:

Cousins’ trade value now escalates thanks to the Rams reaching the Super Bowl. Rational football minds residing in NFL front offices will parallel Cousins to Stafford based on the numbers. Give Cousins a Beckham, Ramsey, Miller, Donald, Kupp, Woods, and watch what happens. Football is the ultimate team sport, not quarterbacks flinging the ball against like a slingshot to themselves. Surrounding Stafford – who was acquired for a king’s ransom from Detroit – with mass roster talent worked. A franchise could do the same for Cousins and reasonably expect to prosper.

Matthew Stafford vs. Kirk Cousins,
Last 50 Starts:

Stafford —
1,722 Pass Attempts
13,334 Passing Yards
93 Passing TDs
37 INTs
65.39 Comp %
97.9 Passer Rating

Cousins —
1,603 Pass Attempts
12,689 Passing Yards
100 Passing TDs
27 INTs
67.56 Comp %
105.1 Passer Rating

https://vikingsterritory.com/2022/general-news/the-price-tag-for-a-kirk-cousins-trade-just-went-way-up

OR: we could be that Rams team. Trade Dalvin, extend Kirk and Hunter. Restructure a couple other vets and use the new cap space and draft capital from Cook to plug our holes and make a run like the Rams. 

18 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

OR: we could be that Rams team. Trade Dalvin, extend Kirk and Hunter. Restructure a couple other vets and use the new cap space and draft capital from Cook to plug our holes and make a run like the Rams. 

Trading Dalvin prior to 6/1 would result in only a 2.6 cap savings with dead cap money of 9.3m mil....just doesn't make sense unfortunately. 

Here if people want to mess around: https://overthecap.com/calculator/minnesota-vikings/

Edited by battle2heaven

Pretty clear to me that Schefter was provided information to send out to the league right after the Pro Bowl, which basically said KOC is looking forward to working with Cousins and its one of the reasons he came to minny. 

Thats an obviously sign that Minny is telling the league “if you want cousins, you need to offer a great package, (but please send us a good package because we actually do want to trade him)”

• Like 1