The Aaron Rodgers Grief Phase: Acceptance

HeresAGuy

6 hours ago, CWood21 said:

We're talking about him being one of the greatest to ever play QBs.  Comparing him to Tom Brady is absolutely fair game.

The funny thing is we don't even need to use Brady.

Favre, for all his faults, was always willing to break any WRs hands at any time with his throws.

Derek Carr is out here giving targets to Zay Jones, Bryan Edwards, and Hunter Renfrow after Waller suffers an injury and Ruggs is released.

Herbert went out and had a game throwing to Guyton and Palmer.

Conditions won't always be perfect. Sometimes you just have to throw the goddamn ball.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, StatKing said:

Such a simplistic analysis. Rodgers is one of the smartest guys to ever play the game, I highly doubt he looks looks at a guy and thinks "well he's a rookie so I refuse to throw to them". He knows what those guys are capable of more than any of us. If you give him the weapons he will get them the ball. Fact of the matter is MVS in year 4 still only runs 2 routes and Lazard is too slow to get any sort of consistent seperation. I don't know what else people need to see before they realize those guys are average at best.

Is he? How many playoff games are we going to lose to this same stupid team because of him killing drives doing the same stupid ****?

He's Peyton Manning.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, deltarich87 said:

Think acceptance is pretty easy at this point after seeing how Rodgers failed to even get to another SB these last 2 seasons. Could not have lined things up any better for him these past 2 years and it still didn't matter. Nothing more you can do

WIll go down as a top 10 QB all time but he will forever have a stain on his legacy with his 1-4 NFCCG record and being unable to even reach a SB despite being the 1 seed 3 separate times.

His stain will never be as large as Kelly losing 4 Super Bowls in a row.  Jim Kelly was a great QB but nobody ever says he is one of the best ever.   Even with Rodgers issues in the post season since 2010 his one ring and multiple MVPs he ensure he will be in most top 10 lists long after he retires.

20 hours ago, NFLGURU said:

It's time for Rodgers to move on.  

It's not because of last night or any political issues, but he's talking about retirement and deciding IF he wants to play.  

When that starts from a business perspective, it's time to move him.  Get something for him and move on.  

The Packers could still compete in our weak division with Jordan Love.  Probably not looking at a serious playoff run, but could be in the NFC North mix.

If he's talking about retirement, it's time.  All time great football player, wish he was 30 years old, but nows the time to trade him.  

I'll still be a Rodgers fan wherever he goes, but from an organizational perspective, it's time.  Find a great package and deal him.  

Instead of keeping Rodgers and Adams I say trade AR and tag and trade Adams.  Then use the salary cap savings to keep the core of this defense together and add more to it.  Draft a WR.  With a good defense around him, a good OL and running game we can move forward and succeed.  If SF can do it with Jimmy G why can't we with Love?

18 hours ago, StatKing said:

Deguara was a massive reach, it doesnt matter what we invested in the position, if he can't beat out a 37 year old Lewis for a starter spot that's a problem. Once Tonyan went down our TE production was basically non existent. We could have signed literally anyone else, OBJ and Jackson are just the easiest examples I could think of off the top of my head. My point is we needed more versatile pass catchers period. Teams should not be able to double one guy and effectively shut down our offense. Everyone wants to point to the 3rd and 11 where Rodgers didn't even look Lazards way but thats one play. Its not like he was running wide open the entire game. We can't continue to trot guys out there that are limited in their ability to threaten a defense. The best teams in the league all have multiple guys who can do a variety of things, we have one guy and its been that way for 3 years. 

There were others that were open but Rodgers concentrated on Adams too much and didn't see them.  I do agree Deguara was a reach and losing Tonyan hurt.  Lewis' forte is blocking.  

17 hours ago, Toddfather said:

They still have the increase in 2023. I'm not saying it's 100% and I don't feel as confident as I once did, but stranger things have happened. I think they know there will be an overhaul, and yes Rodgers said he doesn't want to rebuild. I just don't think the door is 100% closed. Either way this will be a crazy off season.

How much will the cap go up in 2023?

17 hours ago, mikemike778 said:

That's when it all went wrong (Lewis fumble). Rodgers was looking great until then.

Not sure what happened, whether he went into a sulk, full tilt mode, leadership , loss of confidence or just a coincidence. We were still in a good position so shouldn't have affected us that much but all momentum died and never came back.

Perhaps when things go south like that fumble Rodgers plays not to lose instead of to win?

After sleeping on it, I think the comment that has me most annoyed right now is Rodgers "I don't want to be a part of a rebuild" comment. It's sort of a backhand to a fan base and organization that went all in for you to have one last chance to win it, just for you to lay another egg in the playoffs. That happens, but then to say what he said just kinda sucks. Like, he could have said the same thing by saying "I really want to stay here, but I'd understand if the organization is ready for a rebuild", but it just has to be about what his decision making process is. No concern at all about wanting to remain with this organization, he just wants to know which team gives him what he wants.

Edited by pgwingman
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, pgwingman said:

After sleeping on it, I think the comment that has me most annoyed right now is Rodgers "I don't want to be a part of a rebuild" comment. It's sort of a backhand to a fan base and organization that went all in for you to have one last chance to win it, just for you to lay another egg in the playoffs. That happens, but then to say what he said just kinda sucks. Like, he could have said the same thing by saying "I really want to stay here, but I'd understand if the organization is ready for a rebuild", but it just has to be about what his decision making process is. No concern at all about wanting to remain with this organization, he just wants to know which team gives him what he wants.

Agreed. He's a huge narcissist and can't get out of his own way.

This is why I have no hope he'll eventually shoulder some responsibility and attempt to bring it all back. He's infallible in his own mind and believes he deserves red carpet treatment.

really hope some other team is still willing to give that to him

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Agreed. He's a huge narcissist and can't get out of his own way.

This is why I have no hope he'll eventually shoulder some responsibility and attempt to bring it all back. He's infallible in his own mind and believes he deserves red carpet treatment.

really hope some other team is still willing to give that to him

Pittsburgh seems to be getting more play than I recall...how are they set up for cap-wise and draft selections?

5 minutes ago, pgwingman said:

He ended that sentence with "if I keep playing." Think you're reading way too much into it. Think that's also a shot across the bow to potentially mediocre teams that may want to try and trade for him, like the Jets did with Favre. Although Favre instantly made that team a SB contender until he partially tore his bicep and tried to play through it.

I think there's a group always looking to deflect blame and protect Aaron, there's a group that's always interpreting his words to mean the worst, and then there's like 9 people in the world like me who just don't have a strong desire to see him stay or to watch him go, and thus don't read into his comments too much one way or another.

One things for sure, the guy wanted it this year, and just took a full punch to the gut and has to talk to the media 30 minutes after it. We shouldn't be upset by anything that came out of his mouth. Today's interview would be a different story.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, pgwingman said:

Agree with the thrust of your comment. A Freudian slip perhaps....but indicative of a mindset.

My way to describe this is I believe he's gonna leave us holding the bag - now - thats sounds awfully personal (as if I'm taking it personal) - but thats not the case. Rather, he's not gonna close out his career "working through" the cap issues we now have....which puts a shine on the "I really want to retire a Packer" thoughts.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

He ended that sentence with "if I keep playing." Think you're reading way too much into it. Think that's also a shot across the bow to potentially mediocre teams that may want to try and trade for him, like the Jets did with Favre. Although Favre instantly made that team a SB contender until he partially tore his bicep and tried to play through it.

I think there's a group always looking to deflect blame and protect Aaron, there's a group that's always interpreting his words to mean the worst, and then there's like 9 people in the world like me who just don't have a strong desire to see him stay or to watch him go, and thus don't read into his comments too much one way or another.

One things for sure, the guy wanted it this year, and just took a full punch to the gut and has to talk to the media 30 minutes after it. We shouldn't be upset by anything that came out of his mouth. Today's interview would be a different story.

Good points....although I may be less ambivalent than you regards his coming/going. I'd like him to stay - very much - just dont think it's gonna happen. Havent for awhile now...but being pleasantly surprised is better than simply being surprised....so I hold out hope. 

That said - I do hold him to account for what I perceive to be his shortfalls or failings - but not unlike any other player in that regard.