The Aaron Rodgers Grief Phase: Acceptance

HeresAGuy

13 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

He ended that sentence with "if I keep playing." Think you're reading way too much into it. Think that's also a shot across the bow to potentially mediocre teams that may want to try and trade for him, like the Jets did with Favre. Although Favre instantly made that team a SB contender until he partially tore his bicep and tried to play through it.

I think there's a group always looking to deflect blame and protect Aaron, there's a group that's always interpreting his words to mean the worst, and then there's like 9 people in the world like me who just don't have a strong desire to see him stay or to watch him go, and thus don't read into his comments too much one way or another.

One things for sure, the guy wanted it this year, and just took a full punch to the gut and has to talk to the media 30 minutes after it. We shouldn't be upset by anything that came out of his mouth. Today's interview would be a different story.

Yeah, I agree. Like I said, I had tried to sleep on it a few nights before getting worked up about it, but it's still stuck in me head. But I do agree, he just took the toughest loss of his career, so don't cry about the phrasing of his comments. And you're probably right, I probably am reading too much into it.

I just really wish he had a little more humility for toward the organization he's about to leave rebuilding, that's all. But agreed, he's not outright trying to insult them either.

Edited by pgwingman

29 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

He ended that sentence with "if I keep playing." Think you're reading way too much into it.

Yea, plus, it should be no surprise to anyone that a 38yr-old QB does not want to waste any of his precious few remaining yrs on a rebuild-year. He knows how hard it is to go the SB distance, even when all the stars seem to be aligning like they were this year with the Packers. After seeing all of that promise fall apart (including somewhat due to his own play), he probably wants to again put himself in as stacked a situation as possible since he knows that nothing is guaranteed. & he saw how a stacked Denver team was able drag Manning over the finish line.

While I’m sure he’d like to add his last SB in GB, if GB’s cap situation would force them to take a step back in 2022, I’d bet he’d rather take a shot with another team, like Manning in Denver or Brady in Tampa.

2 minutes ago, TransientTexan said:

While I’m sure he’d like to add his last SB in GB, if GB’s cap situation would force them to take a step back in 2022, I’d bet he’d rather take a shot with another team, like Manning in Denver or Brady in Tampa.

It would have been interesting to see how this season (and the cap) played out if the cap level hadnt dropped because of COVID. I dont put much time into figuring out the cap but my impression is we had to finagle / rework a whole bunch of contracts - move a lot of money into future years - just to get the roster we had. Entirely water under the bridge at this juncture however. It is what it is. Now we just have to untangle it all.

5 minutes ago, Leader said:

It would have been interesting to see how this season (and the cap) played out if the cap level hadnt dropped because of COVID. I dont put much time into figuring out the cap but my impression is we had to finagle / rework a whole bunch of contracts - move a lot of money into future years - just to get the roster we had. Entirely water under the bridge at this juncture however. It is what it is. Now we just have to untangle it all.

I generally agree with this, but I don't know how to go about the thought exercise. Every team competes against the same cap restrictions. So yeah, the timing of Covid hurt us timing wise, but I think its fair to say this team was all in one last time no matter what, and that 2022 was always gonna be a pullback year.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pgwingman said:

I generally agree with this, but I don't know how to go about the thought exercise. Every team competes against the same cap restrictions. So yeah, the timing of Covid hurt us timing wise, but I think its fair to say this team was all in one last time no matter what, and that 2022 was always gonna be a pullback year.

Understood....and I'm not going thru it....but not every team was dealing with ARs contract hitting it's highest level - which put us in a bind somewhat.

Coupled with AR's "I'm not happy / not coming back" mind frame - it put us over the barrel somewhat.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Leader said:

Yea, the situation kinda screwed us. At the very moment we were trying to push all our chips in and squeeze the last bit of juice out of the cap at the end of a championship ‘window’, the ceiling was coming down to squeeze us from a different direction. 

Meanwhile other teams that were in the rebuilding part of their franchise’ life-cycle, or who had QB’s on rookie contracts weren’t as affected, since they were not going to be contenders anyways and not running their finances as close to the cap limit. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Is he? How many playoff games are we going to lose to this same stupid team because of him killing drives doing the same stupid ****?

He's Peyton Manning.

Are you really going to argue Peyton and Rodgers aren't two of the smartest of all time? I get it, you hate Rodgers but we still should have won that game even with his piss poor play. Everybody in this thread knew midway through the season special teams was a major problem and we did nothing to address it. Losing a game where the only td we gave up was on a blocked punt is unacceptable.

18 minutes ago, StatKing said:

Are you really going to argue Peyton and Rodgers aren't two of the smartest of all time? I get it, you hate Rodgers but we still should have won that game even with his piss poor play. Everybody in this thread knew midway through the season special teams was a major problem and we did nothing to address it. Losing a game where the only td we gave up was on a blocked punt is unacceptable.

I'm pretty sure that's his exact point. Their intelligence leads to ego, which leads to them making the wrong decisions, which leads to poor play.

34 minutes ago, StatKing said:

Regardless of their intelligence, both suck in the playoffs.

Losing a game where the old TD we gave up was on a blocked punt is unacceptable. That's the god damn point. 1 TD out of the offense is completely unacceptable. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Regardless of their intelligence, both suck in the playoffs.

Losing a game where the old TD we gave up was on a blocked punt is unacceptable. That's the god damn point. 1 TD out of the offense is completely unacceptable. 

Rodgers laid a dud in week 17 and the NFCCG in 2010, the rest of that team carried us to wins, we scored 10 and 14 points as an offense in those games. Favre didn't even hit 80 yards in the divisional game vs the Niners in 1996, the ST and D got us a win in adverse conditions.

Rodgers was a factor into why we didn't win, Rodgers was not the reason we lost. If we could've executed ST at a middle school football level, we'd be talking about the Rams this week. It's a freaking shame this team never gives him a chance to shake off one bad postseason game. Pathetic actually. 

If I'm the team, I'd see his consistent desire to go rogue and play hero ball, when playing within the offense probably gets us the win, same as Favre in 08. If I'm Rodgers, I've seen enough incompetence on the defense and ST sides of the ball that even if I do the minimum to win, the rest of the team still finds a way to lose.

I don't see much of a reason either side would want to keep this going. Seems like amicable divorce is the most likely option.

• Like 1

**EDIT** Quoted the wrong post form @Pugger. This was in response to him asking about cap increases.

This is what I have seen. I'm not a cap guy, but 2023 and 2024 are suppose to be pretty big jumps.

https://sportsnaut.com/nfl-television-contract-directv-210318/

• 2021: $182.5 million
  • 2022: $203 million
  • 2023: $225 million
  • 2024: $256 million
Edited by Toddfather