Random Thoughts - 2022 Jan - to the Draft

dll2000

On 6/5/2022 at 7:04 PM, StLunatic88 said:

As someone who lived through Cook, especially on a bad team, you do not want anything to do with that 

Cook is one of those guys you love in Madden cuz he’s fast but in real life football he’s a consistent disappointment. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

The Rams can sign and extend everyone they want.  

We talk about how we can’t afford David Montgomery.

Part of that is being willing to eat a big chunk of guaranteed money when you’re wrong IMO. This is the first year the Bears have really showed a willingness to do that. They’ve also had a really high hit rate in their guys getting paid handsomely remaining their best players. That makes a huge difference. Goff was their only real miss there, and they paid a huge price for that cap wise and draft pick wise. How much different is their situation financially and success-wise if after the first time they paid Donald at the top of the market he had taken a noteworthy step back like Mack did instead of staying at superstar level throughout? 

37 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Part of that is being willing to eat a big chunk of guaranteed money when you’re wrong IMO. This is the first year the Bears have really showed a willingness to do that. They’ve also had a really high hit rate in their guys getting paid handsomely remaining their best players. That makes a huge difference. Goff was their only real miss there, and they paid a huge price for that cap wise and draft pick wise. How much different is their situation financially and success-wise if after the first time they paid Donald at the top of the market he had taken a noteworthy step back like Mack did instead of staying at superstar level throughout? 

Well all I know is they have paid and signed or extended non-rookies named:

Stafford

Donald

Ramsey

Kupp

Higbee

Leonard Floyd 

Allen Robinson

A'Shawn Robinson

Bobby Wagner

They have many vet O linemen signed.

And guess what?   We still couldn't out bid them for their very modest FA center this offseason.

That seem weird to you?

24 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Well all I know is they have paid and signed or extended non-rookies named:

Stafford

Donald

Ramsey

Kupp

Higbee

Leonard Floyd 

Allen Robinson

A'Shawn Robinson

Bobby Wagner

They have many vet O linemen signed.

And guess what?   We still couldn't out bid them for their very modest FA center this offseason.

That seem weird to you?

Honestly after after GB and NO were both like $70M over the cap in February and both not only got compliant without gutting their rosters but also added expensive pieces I pretty much gave up on the idea of the salary cap being a thing of actual consequence rather than just a procedural hurdle. To that end, Kroenke is way more rich than the Bears ownership group (and most others). It’s also why I’m far less concerned with the whole QB on a rookie deal thing than I used to be too. The salary cap at this point is no more than an illusion of a level financial playing field. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Honestly after after GB and NO were both like $70M over the cap in February and both not only got compliant without gutting their rosters but also added expensive pieces I pretty much gave up on the idea of the salary cap being a thing of actual consequence rather than just a procedural hurdle. To that end, Kroenke is way more rich than the Bears ownership group (and most others). It’s also why I’m far less concerned with the whole QB on a rookie deal thing than I used to be too. The salary cap at this point is no more than an illusion of a level financial playing field. 

Yes that is my point too.

It is a useful accounting tool.   But teams that want to spend more money can spend more.  Just don't screw up the accounting for the cap number.  

Remember a few years back when Patriots spent big in FA in 2021 and Kraft was all publicly upset about the big outlay of cash he let Belichick spend.  

If everyone was spending the same by rule and had same exact budget why would he care?  He wouldn't have reacted that way.

The cap is not all myth, but enough of it is that it is not a totally level playing field.

The Bears have been docked an OTA session after NFLPA representatives witnessed on-field contact in-person at a practice in May, and witnessed additional on-field contact after reviewing practice film of other practices. Tuesday's OTA has been cancelled/forfeited.

4 hours ago, dll2000 said:

The Rams can sign and extend everyone they want.  

We talk about how we can’t afford David Montgomery.

We have $15m or so in cap right? Could just pay his entire 4 year deal this year with that if we wanted to

43 minutes ago, chisoxguy7 said:

The Bears have been docked an OTA session after NFLPA representatives witnessed on-field contact in-person at a practice in May, and witnessed additional on-field contact after reviewing practice film of other practices. Tuesday's OTA has been cancelled/forfeited.

We had extra practices this offseason because of the coaching change, didn’t we? 

48 minutes ago, chisoxguy7 said:

I read an athletic article about how Aidan Hutchinson 'destroyed' a guy in OTA.

Seems like this happens a lot and is subject to people complaining about it.

Wonder if they are talking in part about all the punching. 

Edited by dll2000

3 hours ago, chisoxguy7 said:

Give up an OTA for something more like an actual training camp practice? Sign me up every time.

Edited by Madmike90