2022 Titans Offseason Thread

ttitansfan4life

2 hours ago, TitanLegend said:

Don't understand why that was ever really the case. The defenses were only bad during the cap purge years.

If Schwartz wants to be a DC and we don't give him the job here, we're pants on head retarded.

If Bowen was actually in charge this year which I've seen some places then you can't strip him. The defense this year was elite. 

6 minutes ago, ttitansfan4life said:

But was it really Bowen? Guess we’ll find out next year when he’s the main guy with Schwartz likely gone.

Agreed with ya. I read something about Schwartz not really being involved on game days. So we can just wait and see and hope Bowen had a huge part of the defense. 

Based on the play calling, feels extremely obvious to me that Schwartz was heavily involved in the game planning each week. Bowen called plays, which he deserves credit for, but if we don't have Schwartz involved in the game planning, the chances this success continues seems to be between slim and none to me when you consider how god awful Bowen's game plans were in 2020.

Defense is so volatile anyway. We could retain absolutely everyone and get guys back from injury and still see significant decline or maybe improvement. 

Offense is much more predictable year-to-year and it's one of the reasons I think those positions are more valuable.

Draft OT, WR, QB until you have an elite offense. I wouldn't mind adding two first round WRs to pair with AJB and shift away from this "force the ball to this one RB into 9 man boxes" offense. 

11 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

Based on the play calling, feels extremely obvious to me that Schwartz was heavily involved in the game planning each week. Bowen called plays, which he deserves credit for, but if we don't have Schwartz involved in the game planning, the chances this success continues seems to be between slim and none to me when you consider how god awful Bowen's game plans were in 2020.

Exactly. Plus the stunts, I don’t remember that a lot last season. Plus i feel we blitzed more last year and we all know Schwartz doesn’t blitz much so I’m sure there was influence there. Still feel he’s a huge part of the defensive turnaround and losing him will be a huge loss but Vrabel will never fire or demote his buddy.

Edited by ttitansfan4life

1 minute ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Exactly. Plus the stunts, I don’t remember that a lot last season. Plus i feel we blitzed more last year and we all know Schwartz doesn’t blitz much so I’m sure there was influence there. Still feel he’s a huge part of the defensive turnaround and losing him will be a huge loss but Vrabel will never fire or demote his buddy.

A few weeks ago I looked in to it using PFR's blitzing numbers, and we went from 23 blitzes a game(373 total over the 16) in 2020 to 11(190 over 17) this year.

Huge difference.

2 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

A few weeks ago I looked in to it using PFR's blitzing numbers, and we went from 23 blitzes a game(373 total over the 16) in 2020 to 11(190 over 17) this year.

Huge difference.

Fair to say this last week of football has sucked more than most weeks. Drop an easily winnable game, watch the team that beat us win a game we likely would have. Schwartz likely getting picked. There isn't much to feel good about I gotta say. I got an auto rookie of Landry yesterday so he will probably be gone now but also got Big Jeff so I guess there is that 

49 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

Huge difference.

Yep and that’s all Schwartz IMO. There’s no denying that Bowen called the plays but Schwartz definitely had a heavy hand in the defense.

This Schwartz news hurts almost as bad as the loss last week. We all know that was his defense on the field this year, not Bowen's. I hope I'm wrong and I'm eating crow for Thanksgiving this year, but I see a 2020 like season for the defense if Schwartz leaves for the ponies.

On 1/30/2022 at 7:10 PM, TitanLegend said:

This would be true if coaches were static beings incapable of bettering themselves or learning new things about their craft.

It is entirely possible Bowen learned gameplanning skills and took some notes this year. It’s entirely possible he’s not a learner and he didn’t gain anything from Schwartz being around and working with him, but I’d put those chances at LOWER than higher frankly