Bears Hire Ryan Poles as GM & Matt Eberflus as HC

Madmike90

6 minutes ago, GOGRIESE said:

I don't know what to make of his year this year as the Eagles Passing Game Coordinator. Seemed like Hurts struggled a bit. 

Hurts seemed to come on as the season went on…they changed that offence to be mostly about the run…I also think his passing will only take you so far…Fields is far more naturally talented as a passer…

That said I would prefer a lot of other guys more.

2 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Much better than implying a canadian football head coach means NFl head coaching experience. That's like hiring a chef because he can cook spaghetti in his kitchen on Friday nights.

A head coach in the CFL makes game day decisions. He hires assistants. He’s responsible for an entire professional football team.

Assistant Head Coach is a meaningless title given to reward good assistants and keep them around.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RunningVaccs said:

With you on all points, except the interview concern.  It's not like there's an obvious home run candidate here, so I can't imagine going with someone who doesn't impress you in person. 

I also disagree that Napoleon stuttered, supposedly the psych conclusion is that he was dyslexic and probably on some sort of spectrum.  

This big fat coaching search is less interesting to me than I thought it would be. After so many failures of coaching and players I'm just hoping they get lucky and the Bears are watchable next year. 

LOL I wasn't saying Napoleon stuttered.  But I can see how it reads that way.   I was just coming up with a quick metaphor.

38 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

He was so on top of things it wouldn't shock me if it was Soup Campbell.

TNLN said his source is Ted.   They didn't say how they know that I heard.  I can only listen to those guys for so long (I don't hate them or anything, but they get redundant quick).  

Without doubt bearsblog had a source reporters would kill for and it gave his site a nice boost.  

34 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Get the money's worth out of Polian and lean on the Colts link...if we could get Caldwell in as OC and Pep Hamilton as QBC that would be an amazing more...sorry can't remember who suggested it earlier hahaha.

I'd rather just hire Pep as the OC.  He is younger and did a great job with the Texans QB Mills this past season.

And if he gets poached for a HC job ion the next few years then we'd get two 3rd round picks as compensation

Just now, topwop1 said:

I'd rather just hire Pep as the OC.  He is younger and did a great job with the Texans QB Mills this past season.

And if he gets poached for a HC job ion the next few years then we'd get two 3rd round picks as compensation

I would have no issue with Pep either.

My thoughts on the Eberflus hire are that I'm not overly excited but I'm not disappointed either. I think he can be very good but obviously don't want to get my hopes up after the last few HC hires this franchise has made.

I think Flus is a solid coach from all accounts and I have no question about his ability to get the most out of the defensive side of the ball, but the major question mark remains is who are the OC/QB coaches going to be to oversee Fields' development?

I figure Flip has a good chance to stay on as QB coach due to his connection to Eberflus through Reich, but we really need a good OC.

Edited by topwop1
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

A head coach in the CFL makes game day decisions. He hires assistants. He’s responsible for an entire professional football team.

Assistant Head Coach is a meaningless title given to reward good assistants and keep them around.

I don't think Trestman is the poop show overall that everyone assumes.

Yes it worked out that way with Bears so that is way everyone remembers him.   But they gutted the defense to point of expansion level talent and he was dealing with personalities like Cutler, that TE (forget his name), Marshall.

When Briggs turned on him he completely lost locker room and blowouts started in earnest.

His team laid down on him and was bad to boot.  Did he lack personal charisma to overcome it?  Yes, undoubtedly.

This guy had some really good stops as an AC and won games in Canada.   Winning championships at any level of football in a competitive league is not as easy as you suppose.   They all come with unique challenges.

I think John Fox is remembered a bit unfairly as well given his situation TBH.  

• Like 2