Raiders 2018 Free Agency Thread

Rich7sena

9 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Little overblown honestly. Most GM's know how to structure contracts and there is a standard set. Reggie is no different IMO than other GMs in this regard. Not like he's out here re-inventing the wheel on contracts.

Nah man. He is incredible at it and apparently doesn't get enough recognition. We don't really have a single bad contract on our roster that screws us going down the road (Carr potentially if he repeats last year).  

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

This defense is going to be rebuilt in Guether's mold. Man CBs, 1 gap penetrating Dline and LBs who can run and cover. 

I expect this roster to look entirely different in 2018. Going to be an exciting offseason.

While those things are things he has used in the past I wouldn't pigeon hole his style or scheme just yet. A lot of times guys have ideas or designs they want to implement after they move. Plus we can't discount the influence a defensive minded HC (Lewis) had on the defense and what Guenther may want to do differently with more freedom under a offensively minded HC.

23 minutes ago, Rolni said:

I read or heard somewhere that PG worked only in 4-3 scheme during his hole NFL carrier...every job at every level was in 4-3.

Pretty sure we will be a 4-3 team.

I trust history as well and his experience is definitely in the 4-3 but what I was saying is that it may not be that clear cut. He is in a new situation in many ways and will have to adjust to the players that we are able to acquire and that ones who perform the best out of those available. Along with history I trust his actual words and he said above that he will play the best scheme for the team in some many words.

What do you guy's think about a combination of Beast mode and Dion Lewis? Then trade Washington or Richard for a late round pick. Personally I'd keep Richard because he can return punts, yes he had a few drops this year, but everybody was out of sync this season.

34 minutes ago, raidr4life said:

What do you guy's think about a combination of Beast mode and Dion Lewis? Then trade Washington or Richard for a late round pick. Personally I'd keep Richard because he can return punts, yes he had a few drops this year, but everybody was out of sync this season.

Lynch is due 5.6 million. He's 31 and he is a distraction. Can't wait for him to be shown the door. If he's on the team, it's a mistake. You can replace that production. Raiders did fine with Murray in '16 and proved with Carr on, RBs can plug and play.

I do like Lewis. But too similar to what they have in Wash/Richard.

20 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Lynch is due 5.6 million. He's 31 and he is a distraction. Can't wait for him to be shown the door. If he's on the team, it's a mistake. You can replace that production. Raiders did fine with Murray in '16 and proved with Carr on, RBs can plug and play.

Agree, would like to sign a FA and draft a guy too. Washington and Richard are just 3rd down RBs, don't need both imo. 

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

Something often overlooked with Lynch is he's an elite pass protector in the backfield. What he does in pass pro is teaching tape. I'd want him back.

Pass blocking is so underrated.  Plus the guy runs tough and still has some wiggle.  Always keeps his legs churning.  Only thing is his personality, or rather the rumors about his personality.  We can't know what goes on in the locker room, obvi.

The thing about Wash/Richard is neither is reliable.  Not sure I'd go out of my way to look to replace them but in the right scenario, I wouldn't mind it.

8 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

Something often overlooked with Lynch is he's an elite pass protector in the backfield. What he does in pass pro is teaching tape. I'd want him back.

I agree there. He's a great pass blocker. But he's not a team guy by all accounts. He's in it for the cash and celebrity. Guys like that you can't rely on. 

His signing had a negative impact in the locker room. Keeping him around just makes no sense. More so at this current price tag.

FA I'd like to see interest in:

RB - Hyde - Never had a great line or QB in SF. Has potential to be a FA steal in the right spot. 

OT - Flemming - 25, held up well for the Pats filling in for Cannon. Best football appears in front of him

DE/OLB - Ford - down year w/ injury. Before hand he was looking like a breakout player. Worth a shot to see if he can rebound.

2 hours ago, oakdb36 said:

RB - Darkwa

WR - Lee, Matthews

DE - Carradine (Vinny Curry if he's cut)

NT - Beau Allen

LB - Bradham, Whitehead

CB - Colvin, Robinson (Carrie)

Like this list especially Colvin who would be a good nickel CB. 

Archived