Washingtons Commanders (Official)

Manny/Patrick

23 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Bills: The previous team in Buffalo was named the Bisons. When that team folded, the new team wanted to rename it but be similar, so they named it after Buffalo Bill Cody. I don't know what to make of this one, because Buffalo Buffalo would have been cool, but on the other hand Buffalo have never lived in Buffalo, New York, so the name of the city is stupid in itself. 5/10

Here's what's crazy: Buffalo wasn't the original name of the city. It was Beau Fleuve (French for nice river or something). Somehow, they got Buffalo out of that.

Chiefs: So this dude Harold Roe Bartle was the mayor of Kansas City. He helped found a Boy Scout camping society, so they nicknamed him Chief Lone Bear. Bartle then convinced the Dallas Texans of the AFL to move their team to Kansas City and join the NFL, so the team was named after him. This is so stupid. 8/10

This team was almost the New Orleans Saints. They came close to moving to New Orleans:

https://www.tigerdroppings.com/rant/new-orleans-saints/dallas-texans-could-have-been-the-saints-instead-of-the-chiefs/88174402/

Lots of reasons to dislike this. Generic, no connection with team history and football identity, and in my view (UK based fan) a blatant and distasteful attempt to boost the reputation by trying to appeal to popularity of the military (both nationally and even more so locally). 

But mostly so generic. 

Edited by scottishpatriot
Typo
  • Like 1

On 1/27/2022 at 10:47 AM, ronjon1990 said:

Should've just gone with Red Coats and leaned into it by splitting home games between DC and London. 

If Snyder is intent on being the villain of America's game, at least be interesting.

The problem with this take is that Snyder doesn't think he's a villain, he's convinced he's the good guy. 

• Like 1

On 1/28/2022 at 9:28 PM, AlexGreen#20 said:

Bills: The previous team in Buffalo was named the Bisons. When that team folded, the new team wanted to rename it but be similar, so they named it after Buffalo Bill Cody. I don't know what to make of this one, because Buffalo Buffalo would have been cool, but on the other hand Buffalo have never lived in Buffalo, New York, so the name of the city is stupid in itself. 5/10

I dunno, I'd give this one and 8 or 9....all it's really got going for it is alliteration; if you're going to use a buffalo as your mascot for the city of Buffalo, might as well have just been "Buffalo FC" (although that's something that wasn't done back in the day)