49ers offseason 2022

49erurtaza

https://theathletic.com/3103927/2022/01/31/as-all-eyes-turn-to-trey-lance-his-49ers-teammates-say-they-like-what-they-see/

“Toward the end of the year, he was throwing dimes,” Al-Shaair said on Monday. “It was like, ‘Damn! I thought I was going to make a play.’ He might look you off and throw the ball the other way or whatever it was. I just remember (we) were getting game reps with this guy on the scout team.”

Said safety Jimmie Ward: “Some of the stuff you see Jimmy (Garoppolo) doing from time to time, you see Patrick Mahomes doing, Kyler Murray doing, Aaron Rodgers doing — he has that inside of him. He’s a competitor. And he has a big body, too.”

And Lance clearly has teammates excited about his potential.

“I think he grew a lot — a tremendous amount,” said left tackle Trent Williams. “And Trey’s a very inquisitive person. He’s not one of those people who thinks he knows it all. He’s someone who comes to learn, who comes to work.”

Williams said he and Lance had an hour-long talk Sunday night about the interplay between the quarterback and the offensive line.

“He’s always picking brains no matter what position you play,” Williams said.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, JIllg said:

My dream is still a 2nd plus a next year 3rd that turns into a 2nd if Jimmy doesn’t spontaneously combust during the season. Would get us a giant chunk of the Lance trade value back given that those picks will be in the middle of rounds and our 1sts will be at the end. (Gotta 9er hard on the second one, but the roster will be quite good still)

Let's just pray a team really buys in to his winning record and goes crazy and gives us a first this year. Lol 😆 

16 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

-Trade Jimmy for a day 2 pick, preferably two day 2 picks.

-Sign Stephen Gilmore to a two-three year deal, similar to the one Sherman got here in 2018

-Re-sign Tartt/Jones/Willis

-Extend Ward and possibly Armstead?

-Bring back Mostert and possibly Verrett (don't rely on him being there for the entire season) on team friendly deals

-Draft an edge rusher in the 2nd round or a CB if we can't sign someone like Gilmore

Then hope Lance continues to get better so we can make another SB run. 

I love this plan, but we also need to sign Laken or have a replacement plan for him. 

14 hours ago, StevenK said:

I hope Mack plays one more year. I don’t think there’s anyone who can replace him unless we use our 2nd round on C which is still a possibility but I would prefer he plays one more year. 

We will save 4 million if he retires or if we cut him. I doubt we cut him considering the center makes the protection calls and we will want to protect Trey. So its really up to him if he will play another year.

He is not the same player he was. He could fall off a cliff this year. We obviously need to find an heir apparent at C and have him ready to go. Better to get rid of a player a year early rather than a year late. 

In hindsight, we should have drafted Humphrey rather than Banks. FA being before the draft makes things tricky. We didnt think we would be able to get a C in the draft so we

13 hours ago, Forge said:

Thats what it was this past year and I was holding a five figure ticket lol Felt good about our QB depth in case Jimmy got hurt. Well, Jimmy got hurt and he played anyways and we lost. lol 

12 hours ago, Forge said:

Almost no chance. As @J-ALL-DAY mentioned a while back, Hightower has been with Shanny for like 15 years or something. I think their time together dates back all the way to Houston 

To college, when they both played at Texas. He isnt going anywhere. 

We need a KR/PR very badly. That is a huge need. 

We need to practice STs more. I dont know how much we actually practice it. Everyone says our practices are short. 

12 hours ago, NinerNation21 said:

I don't think Von and OBJ will be back unless Snead and Co. does some Dumbledore level wizardry this offseason.

The rams are going to rack up the credit card bill just like the saints did. They are going to keep shoving all of their chips on the table. Both Von and OBJ are going to stay in LA for the lifestyle and they are the toast of the town right now. 

The question is, are we going to be willing to do what it takes? Trading up for Trey took some balls, but we will need to get creative with the cap space we have and follow the rams into the deep end of the pool in this arms race. 

10 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

I've said this before but I'll take my chances with Moore/McKivitiz developing into serviceable RTs than paying McG his fifth year option. I just don't believe he's worth it and if he's not in your plans to sign an extensiontion, might as well trade him and recoup a draft pick in the process. We have bigger fish to fry and his cap savings could be useful.

Unfortunately, the 5th year option is already fully guaranteed. He is going to get 10m next season, even if he never plays a snap. 

Its a disaster if he doesnt play, which is just so absurd given his level of play. I am so mad we picked up that option. We did not have to do that. We could have waited this year and then signed him. He wasnt going to get 10m from anyone else lol and if he did, then he needed to go because he is extremely replaceable.

Thats 10m we dont have. I am furious it happened and I was furious at the time. 

I dont call him McStinky for nothing. He is going to get whooped by von next time we play the rams, even if he is playing lol 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, N4L said:

I love this plan, but we also need to sign Laken or have a replacement plan for him. 

We will save 4 million if he retires or if we cut him. I doubt we cut him considering the center makes the protection calls and we will want to protect Trey. So its really up to him if he will play another year.

He is not the same player he was. He could fall off a cliff this year. We obviously need to find an heir apparent at C and have him ready to go. Better to get rid of a player a year early rather than a year late. 

In hindsight, we should have drafted Humphrey rather than Banks. FA being before the draft makes things tricky. We didnt think we would be able to get a C in the draft so we

Thats what it was this past year and I was holding a five figure ticket lol Felt good about our QB depth in case Jimmy got hurt. Well, Jimmy got hurt and he played anyways and we lost. lol 

To college, when they both played at Texas. He isnt going anywhere. 

We need a KR/PR very badly. That is a huge need. 

We need to practice STs more. I dont know how much we actually practice it. Everyone says our practices are short. 

The rams are going to rack up the credit card bill just like the saints did. They are going to keep shoving all of their chips on the table. Both Von and OBJ are going to stay in LA for the lifestyle and they are the toast of the town right now. 

The question is, are we going to be willing to do what it takes? Trading up for Trey took some balls, but we will need to get creative with the cap space we have and follow the rams into the deep end of the pool in this arms race. 

Unfortunately, the 5th year option is already fully guaranteed. He is going to get 10m next season, even if he never plays a snap. 

Its a disaster if he doesnt play, which is just so absurd given his level of play. I am so mad we picked up that option. We did not have to do that. We could have waited this year and then signed him. He wasnt going to get 10m from anyone else lol and if he did, then he needed to go because he is extremely replaceable.

I dont call him McStinky for nothing. He is going to get whooped by von next time we play the rams, even if he is playing lol 

Yes, need to bring back Laken aa well. 

We can still rescind the 5th year option for McGlinchey. 

4 hours ago, N4L said:

Yea I was totally caught off guard when I saw that we did that. Just didn't understand the logic.

19 minutes ago, 49erscap said:

It is fully guaranteed, no rescinding it.

Got it, am I thinking of the franchise tag?

16 minutes ago, 49erscap said:

I don’t think Gilmore is realistic, he’ll want top tier money, I think rumor was $15m a yr, I think a guy like Charvarius Ward, or Levi Wallace is more likely, won’t break the bank, younger too.

Coming off two injury prone seasons will he get the 15M he is looking for though? Cap is also supposed to increase pretty substantially in 2023 so he may be willing to do a short-term deal and hit the market again in 2023? 

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Got it, am I thinking of the franchise tag?

Coming off two injury prone seasons will he get the 15M he is looking for though? Cap is also supposed to increase pretty substantially in 2023 so he may be willing to do a short-term deal and hit the market again in 2023? 

Crazier things have happened, as for 2023, the cap won’t increase as much as you’d hope, likely to $225m-$230m range, what the 2022 cap would have been if not for the pandemic 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 49erscap said:

Crazier things have happened, as for 2023, the cap won’t increase as much as you’d hope, likely to $225m-$230m range, what the 2022 cap would have been if not for the pandemic 

But that's still quite a bit of a jump from the 2022 number of $208M. Having it potentially go up by over 20M in one offseason would make the contracts free agents get a whole a lot bigger. Thing with Gilmore is his age.  He's going to be 32 years old at the start of the season so he probably won't want to take any risks and will want to just cash out this offseason. 

If no free agent, let's hope we get a 2nd rounder for Jimmy G and we can take a CB there.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 49ersfan said:

And he flashed some of that ability against the Texans as well. That pass to Kittle down the seam was pretty unreal. All he needs is reps and once the game slows down a bit for him, it's going to be crazy! That's why early in the season our defense and run game may need to carry us to some wins but by the half way mark, Lance will be doing plenty of the carrying himself. Need to get off to a good start and fight for the #1 seed. Will be hard considering the division we are in but it's doable. 

• Like 4