2022 Player movement rumors (Free agency / Trades)

Forge

21 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Why would GB and Tennessee not be allowed to talk trade?

Its past the deadline and before the end of the Super Bowl.

I could be wrong about this. I've never seen the rule written.

I know for sure trades don't count until the league year starts.

Edited by SkippyX

5 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

Its past the deadline and before the end of the Super Bowl.

I could be wrong about this. I've never seen the rule written.

I know for sure trades don't count until the league year starts.

Stafford trade to LAR was announced in late January I think.  Discussion on trades can certainly happen now

• Like 1

On 2/2/2022 at 5:00 PM, Forge said:

I was curious whether or not you would trade Woods in that situation. I know the cap space isn't great, but also not anything super detrimental or problematic. 

Really would depend on how much we'd need the wiggle-room on the cap ledger.  Given their druthers, I'm sure both McVay and Les, but especially McVay would rather trade Van Jefferson and keep Woods if a WR needed to be moved to accommodate keeping OBJ.  For 1, I believe Bobby Trees played a part in helping convince Odell to sign with the team in the first place, for another he and Kupp are extraordinarily tight.  And finally, Woods is a notably better run-blocker (something McVay is hardcore about in frightening fashion) than OBJ, but having Woods and Kupp back would mean that the tell that "Hey, we took off OBJ for Jefferson or Skowronek, we're planning to run the ball" isn't there any longer, while still giving Stafford the flexibility to audible or option to a play-action pass play if he reads something in the defense.

Also, Woods would account for $12.1M dead cap if cut or traded - so they'd likely opt for trading the guy that would net the higher return (the guy on his rookie deal, who would likely be low-priority to resign if Odell was resigned) because in order to justify eating that dead cap hit they'd probably need to receive more than I can imagine most teams are going to be angling to offer for a 30-year-old WR coming off a torn ACL.

Edited by Dr LBC

Clearly I was wrong about the negotiation window.

I'm still not sure why Green Bay would want the 26th pick in 2022 and a similar pick in 2023.

Denver has the 9th pick this year and extra picks from the Rams from the Von Miller trade.

1 minute ago, SmittyBacall said:

I meant players that could be acquired via trade, like what KC did with Brown last year.

Look at teams that need to shed cap.

Billy Turner might be someone if Rodgers is traded and GB goes into a reset.

1 minute ago, SkippyX said:

Clearly I was wrong about the negotiation window.

I'm still not sure why Green Bay would want the 26th pick in 2022 and a similar pick in 2023.

Denver has the 9th pick this year and extra picks from the Rams from the Von Miller trade.

I don't think they would want a later pick.  But if Rodgers says Tennessee or nowhere.....then what choice is there

10 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Stafford trade to LAR was announced in late January I think.  Discussion on trades can certainly happen now

Yeah, it was agreed in principle in late January and treated by both sides as a done-deal, but the actual transaction didn't process until March 3rd(?), I believe.

Just now, squire12 said:

I don't think they would want a later pick.  But if Rodgers says Tennessee or nowhere.....then what choice is there

Tell him to make a bigger list so they get a fair deal, retire, or stay.

QBs don't get to force trades to specific teams regardless of compensation.

Why not just say 7th round pick take it or leave it (the principle is identical)

He has zero leverage to force anything.

6 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Look at teams that need to shed cap.

Billy Turner might be someone if Rodgers is traded and GB goes into a reset.

Looking at some Packers offseason projection stuff on YouTube it seems like the Smiths on D are the most likely cap casualties.

Those 2 and Rodgers gets them out of the red.