2022 Player movement rumors (Free agency / Trades)

Forge

3 hours ago, Forge said:

They inquired about him a couple years back before signing Rivers, but damn... The idea of moving a first + for Wentz only to move off him a year later and replace him with Jimmy (via trade which will cost more assets) is tragic for colts fans lol

Why get rid of Wentz for a guy who isn't an upgrade?

4 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Why get rid of Wentz for a guy who isn't an upgrade?

It doesn't really make that much sense unless they have a really low opinion of Wentz currently. I can't imagine that they are that low on Wentz and that high on Jimmy that this makes a ton of sense. They don't have the capital to go big game hunting either.

Someone in the news forum mentioned targeting Love if the Packers keep Rodgers, and I think that's an interesting pivot that may be worthwhile. At least he offers something upside wise. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

It doesn't really make that much sense unless they have a really low opinion of Wentz currently. I can't imagine that they are that low on Wentz and that high on Jimmy that this makes a ton of sense. They don't have the capital to go big game hunting either.

Someone in the news forum mentioned targeting Love if the Packers keep Rodgers, and I think that's an interesting pivot that may be worthwhile. At least he offers something upside wise. 

Colts sounded pretty fed up with Wentz at their season end press conferences. Reich & Ballard wouldn't commit to him for 2022 and Irsay sounded furious at missing the playoffs. It reminded me of last year when McVay & Snead just sounded fed up with Goff. When i heard that i figured Wentz was a goner. 

Edited by 49ersfan
  • Like 1

One thing on the Wentz deal. The 15 million is already guaranteed. (as of the 3rd day of 2021) The Colts can do noting about that if they cut him.

The March 3rd date is for the rest of his 22 million (7 m).

This means they save 13.3 of his 28.3 compensation if they cut him before the 3rd day of the 2022 NFL year.

He has a Les Snead Special poison pill contract  (See Todd Gurley's terrible deal that started that mess)

They can save all of it with a trade or maybe eat 10 of it and leave the new team with 18.3. You can convert some base to a bonus before any trade if you want.

Edited by SkippyX

On 2/10/2022 at 10:56 AM, Forge said:

Not really movement based, but I found it interesting. 

I mean, it makes sense.  With the potential for Rodgers and/or Russ to move in the offseason and the (likelihood) such a move would also result in a market-setting extension for either, it only makes fiscal sense for Lamar to wait for a market reset.  He'd be potentially very likely leaving money on the table if he didn't.

20 hours ago, SkippyX said:

They can save all of it with a trade or maybe eat 10 of it and leave the new team with 18.3. You can convert some base to a bonus before any trade if you want.

I cant see any team eating that cap hit PLUS trading a pick for Wentz.

49 minutes ago, 43M said:

I cant see any team eating that cap hit PLUS trading a pick for Wentz.

I think it could be a flip of picks or something. That cap hit would be like the third lowest in the league for a starting QB not on a rookie deal. Would put him at Sam Darnold levels for 2022 and any team acquiring him could still rework it a bit. Would put him about 17th total. 

Allen has a super low hit for one more year, and I guess technically taysom is a starter.

Joe flacco got a 4th round pick after getting benched by Baltimore with an 18.5 million cap hit on a cap 20 million less than this year. They may not get that, but could see a similar trade to tannehill where you are trading him for a flip of picks or something. They kind of tanked the value by putting it out like this. They should have just quietly made some calls

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

I think it could be a flip of picks or something. That cap hit would be like the third lowest in the league for a starting QB not on a rookie deal.

Thats the problem though.

At this point, Wentz isnt really a starting caliber QB.   Maybe a stop gap, but mostly a glorified backup.

Here is how I look at it....

Wentz for $18m + a lost mid to low draft pick for likely 7 to 10 wins and maybe an early playoff exit, at best

OR

Rudolph for $4m + an extra quality FA or 2 + keep the draft pick for likely 6 to 9 wins 

So, do I wanna give up an extra good FA pickup and a draft pick for MAYBE an extra win or 2?    No thanks.

If we could get Wentz in free agency for half that price, Id consider it.

7 minutes ago, 43M said:

Thats the problem though.

At this point, Wentz isnt really a starting caliber QB.   Maybe a stop gap, but mostly a glorified backup.

Here is how I look at it....

Wentz for $18m + a lost mid to low draft pick for likely 7 to 10 wins and maybe an early playoff exit, at best

OR

Rudolph for $4m + an extra quality FA or 2 + keep the draft pick for likely 6 to 9 wins 

So, do I wanna give up an extra good FA pickup and a draft pick for MAYBE an extra win or 2?    No thanks.

If we could get Wentz in free agency for half that price, Id consider it.

I think the bigger issue with Wentz is whether he's a negative influence in the locker room. Considering what some teams will be starting at QB next year, he's definitely a starting caliber guy. He's simply not a dude who elevates a team.

• Like 3