Obi-Wan Kenobi (Disney+) New episodes on Wednesday

Acgott

Overall, a 6/10 series. There was just absolutely no stakes and you knew what would happen before it did; just not necessarily how it would happen. The show seemed to be about how many cool shots they could show while keeping almost everyone alive. The final Vader/Obi Wan fight was probably the best part of the show imo, but again, no stakes at all and you know the outcome.

The only things this show may have truly added to the Star Wars Universe is create a spinoff series or two; Reva and/or the Jedi underground railroad.

• Like 2

Rumors a cal kestis show is gonna happen. I hope it doesn’t cause the video game story is good by itself and every Star Wars and marvel show has pretty much sucked. But one thing I ask if it does happen: no cameos, be it celebrity or Star Wars universe. It’s always campy and always stupid. 

1 hour ago, kingseanjohn said:

no stakes at all and you know the outcome.

Yeah but it's a prequel, no way around that. It's about filling in gaps with new stories from the characters we know while also setting up new ones for future projects. Has to still be a lot to explore between the time Kenobi ends and Rogue One kicks off

Of course there are no complaints from me... we finally got to see the epic Kenobi v Vader showdown that we didn't see on the Death Star. I love the way they shot Reva's redemption & the actress knocked it out of the park. Seeing Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru (try) to kick some (very injured) jedi *** was just believable enough, & has to make you think they at least put up a fight in New Hope.

Perfect ending, Obi Wan gets his moments with the kids and wanders off into Beggar's Canyon to learn from Qui Gon the same way Yoda did. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Ty21 said:

Watched the episode again. I know they felt they needed to do one last showdown for the sake of the show, but if Obi wan accepted Anakin as dead and now Darth Vader, why didn’t he kill him when he beat him in the final fight? At this point he knows there’s no redemption and that his mercy on him in ROTS led to incalculable deaths. Defies logic that kenobi would choose his own sense of morality here over killing a mass murderer. 

He kills him. The end? The OG trilogy is in obiwans mind?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, adamq said:

Yeah but it's a prequel, no way around that.

Not entirely true. You could introduce characters early on who die for the cause outside of Tala; whose screen time was too short. They could have brought in old characters whose fate we don't know. Just the focus being entirely on characters, exception of Reva, whose fate we know gave the show no real thrill for me. It was just a collection of scenes that look cool.

As for new stories it potentially created, does anyone really need more of Reva's story? I'll admit though, it might be cool to see her join up with the underground railroad group to use her skills to save Jedi. But even then, who would they save?

One thing I loved about Rogue One, even as a prequel, you didn't know how it would end. It was probable that they all could survive and then just become background characters or another unit/squadron/whatever in the rebellion. Instead they all died and it directly tied into the movies almost seamlessly. It affected the greater story while Obi Wan did not.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, kingseanjohn said:

Not entirely true. You could introduce characters early on who die for the cause outside of Tala; whose screen time was too short. They could have brought in old characters whose fate we don't know. Just the focus being entirely on characters, exception of Reva, whose fate we know gave the show no real thrill for me. It was just a collection of scenes that look cool.

As for new stories it potentially created, does anyone really need more of Reva's story? I'll admit though, it might be cool to see her join up with the underground railroad group to use her skills to save Jedi. But even then, who would they save?

One thing I loved about Rogue One, even as a prequel, you didn't know how it would end. It was probable that they all could survive and then just become background characters or another unit/squadron/whatever in the rebellion. Instead they all died and it directly tied into the movies almost seamlessly. It affected the greater story while Obi Wan did not.

They focused way too much on other characters, when this should have been about Obi-Wan and Vader. There are many ways they could have gotten Obi-Wan off Tattooine without needing to involve Leia. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, D82 said:

There are many ways they could have gotten Obi-Wan off Tattooine without needing to involve Leia. 

Like?  I think there is very little that could actually get him off Tattooine, hell, Leia being kidnapped barely did the trick and that was only because she was Padme and Anakin's daughter.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, THE DUKE said:

Like?  I think there is very little that could actually get him off Tattooine, hell, Leia being kidnapped barely did the trick and that was only because she was Padme and Anakin's daughter.

Like:

- An imminent threat to Luke or Leia - but not one involving a kidnapping or one that would focus on needing a child actor for extended screentime. 

- When we last left Obi-Wan, Yoda was in the process of teaching him how to communicate with Qui-Gon and grow in the Force. We get zero hint at any of that in this, and have an Obi-Wan that basically has allowed his abilities to become impaired. 

This just felt shoe-horned in the worst way. It had some good moments, but a lot that just didn't do it for me. 

The Boba Fett series was awful. The sequels were a disaster. Disney just can't do any of the OT characters justice IMO (Luke in Mandalorian aside). 

5 hours ago, adamq said:

Perfect ending, Obi Wan gets his moments with the kids and wanders off into Beggar's Canyon to learn from Qui Gon the same way Yoda did. 

He didn’t even stay for dinner on Alderaan lol. 

Also, kid Leia >>>>>>>>>

• Like 2

episodes 1-4 sucked and got progressively worse with each one. Episode 3 was OKAY.

Episodes 5 and 6 were great and a great way to end this series. It's a shame the show started out so poorly, though because overall it was meh and without the last 2 episodes it would've been a REALLY bad show.

43 minutes ago, D82 said:

We get zero hint at any of that in this, and have an Obi-Wan that basically has allowed his abilities to become impaired.

Remember when they made Luke become a pouty hermit that tries to murder his family 

43 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

episodes 1-4 sucked and got progressively worse with each one. Episode 3 was OKAY.

Episodes 5 and 6 were great and a great way to end this series. It's a shame the show started out so poorly, though because overall it was meh and without the last 2 episodes it would've been a REALLY bad show.

Almost reverse of the typical Disney template: taking a relatively compelling plot or pilot and ending the show with the worst ending imaginable

• Like 2