Obi-Wan Kenobi (Disney+) New episodes on Wednesday

Acgott

I loved the direction in this episode. The cinematography was beautiful esp the wide shot of Obi Wan facing off with Vader with the huge crescent moon in the sky.  ILM and The Volume crushed this episode.  

The first half of the fight got popping real quick lol. Very short dialogue. Obi Wan gets buried alive and it looks like there’s your separation point. That’s how they don’t see each other for 7 more years. Maybe Vader leaves and Obi Wan uses the force to get out. 

Nah this ain’t over. The 2nd half of the fight is even more epic. I’m glad they didn’t abandon Obi Wan’s fighting style with the lightsaber. I like the idea of different styles for different Jedi.  Chirrut was essentially one too. 

I know when Obi Wan saw Anakin’s face, and holy **** did the costume design crew kill that he looked incredible, but he had another chance to finish the job and didn’t.  I don’t know how I feel about them doubling down on that point. But it did provide a chance for both of them to go their own way.

And tbh I don’t know if I can buy Vader giving up his search for Obi Wan simply out of loyalty to Palpatine.  I was hoping to see a more sinister Emperor put Vader in check there but who knows. Maybe Vader never stops looking. Vader telling Obi Wan that he was the one who killed Anakin felt like it was trying too hard to connect that to the “certain point of view” spiel he later gives Luke. 

How is the Grand Inquisitor alive?  He popped back in last episode but maybe I missed the explanation.  Vader clearly wounded Reva twice without killing her just to mess with her. But I didn’t get that impression from when she stabbed him. It sure looked like Reva killed him. I liked her redemption story and am curious about where she goes from here. 

Also I would totally watch a kid Leia show where she solves mysteries on Alderaan. She dominates in their version of mock U.N. at her school lol. 

• Like 2

That was a hell of an ending. One of the best things I’ve seen in Star Wars so far.

I enjoyed the series overall even if there were some rougher patches. Overall, I think this series added a lot to the sequel trilogy and even the original trilogy. Glad they made it. Not sure what they would do for season 2, though.

Edited by Oregon Ducks
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, Ty21 said:

Remember when they made Luke become a pouty hermit that tries to murder his family 

Yeah…I do…Mandalorian gave me hope they could do great things but outside of that I’ve been disappointed. 

55 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

How is the Grand Inquisitor alive?  He popped back in last episode but maybe I missed the explanation.  Vader clearly wounded Reva twice without killing her just to mess with her. But I didn’t get that impression from when she stabbed him. It sure looked like Reva killed him. I liked her redemption story and am curious about where she goes from here. 

Apparently that race has 2 stomachs so he still had one working stomach.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Ty21 said:

Rumors a cal kestis show is gonna happen. I hope it doesn’t cause the video game story is good by itself and every Star Wars and marvel show has pretty much sucked. But one thing I ask if it does happen: no cameos, be it celebrity or Star Wars universe. It’s always campy and always stupid. 

Yeah I don’t need it, let him live in the games as his main story.

Fine with getting him in something if they want, but I’d kinda be more interested seeing older Kal show up so we can see where his story goes…though again I’d rather that just be a game, him older against the remnants of the empire in the outer rim and beyond. 

14 hours ago, Manny/Patrick said:

He kills him. The end? The OG trilogy is in obiwans mind?

He didn't need to kill him to have them both still be around after the battle, but having Obi Wan just walk away (exactly like he did after the prequels) was a weird choice. Honestly, it was one of the only things I wasn't a fan of in the series. Why choose to let him live after you've come to the conclusion that Anakin is dead and you've seen Vader's power? Something should have separated them, even if it was something along the lines of the cliché ground breaking between them. 

Overall, it was good. Probably won't rewatch it aside of a few Vader scenes but I enjoyed it. 

As much as I like McGregor as Obi Wan, I'm personally saying no. We don't need more Tatooine stories and his story with Anakin is done. The only exception is if they use Obi Wan S2 for the underground railroad stuff. Even then, I prefer they keep that separate from the main characters.

20 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

As much as I like McGregor as Obi Wan, I'm personally saying no. We don't need more Tatooine stories and his story with Anakin is done. The only exception is if they use Obi Wan S2 for the underground railroad stuff. Even then, I prefer they keep that separate from the main characters.

I would be fine with more Darth Maul, especially how sick Vader was in this season. 

• Like 2

I originally had no intention of watching this, but I have Hulu + Disney dirt cheap and I couldnt sleep, so I jumped in.

I didnt have high expectations for this show, and overall, it didnt even reach my low bar.

Admittedly, I only ended up watching around 2.5 hours.   I fast fowarded through alot because I just couldnt stand parts of it.   The writing and acting were pretty embarrassing.  I thought Ewan would raise this show up, but even he can only do so much with the low end fanfiction writing that most of these Disney Star Wars movies and shows get.

Literally the only saving grace of this trainwreck was pretty much any scene Vader was in.  

Theres that one scene where a storm trooper gets a soft barehanded slap to the helmet, and falls over like he is hurt.  It felt like something you'd see in Spaceballs....but without any of the laughter.    That perfectly sums up most of this show.

D-.    Avoids an F cuz of some good Vader scenes.

• Like 1

On 6/22/2022 at 9:21 AM, THE DUKE said:

At this point, they've pretty clearly established that isn't true about it cutting through anything.  Common metal, sure, but most space ship exteriors it takes a little work to get through, blast doors, beskar straight up stops it.  Part of it could be technique too, not hitting with driving blows, or aiming to disarm moreso than cut through.  It's not something that bothers me.

This was established in ESB as well. Luke hits Vader on his shoulder and it bounces off like he hit him with a baseball bat.

1 hour ago, seminoles1 said:

This was established in ESB as well. Luke hits Vader on his shoulder and it bounces off like he hit him with a baseball bat.

I'm not a huge SW buff but from what I remember there's some type of element that can deflect lightsabers, pretty sure the Mandalorean's armor is one example, but if there's another element / type, you have to imagine someone in Vader's position would ensure his armor is made out of such material.

8 hours ago, Oregon Ducks said:

The issue I have with the Underground Railroad stuff is where are all those jedi in the original trilogy?

Eventually hunted down and killed in the following 7 yrs or just really good at hiding in exile.

14 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

This show was a loosely tied together series of moments that kicked ***. Probably the best description I can give. While not a home run, I am still very happy it was made. 

It definitely is a great example of a project where you can ask, was this the best outlet? Which I think is a crowing concern or just thought with Star Wars content.