Is Andrew Whitworth a hall of famer?

Tk3

Prior to this season, I would have adamantly put him in the "hall of very good" and possibly even in the "hall of Frank Gore" for longevity

But he did have a stretch of a couple All-Pro accolades, played for 15+ years, and now has a ring - and played at a very high level even at the late stage of his career

Does he get in, and how do you stack him against his peers like Jason Peters, Joe Staley, Duane Brown, Trent Williams who have all had good long careers (I'm not including Joe Thomas - who is obviously a class ahead of all the others)?

3 minutes ago, Tk3 said:

Prior to this season, I would have adamantly put him in the "hall of very good" and possibly even in the "hall of Frank Gore" for longevity

But he did have a stretch of a couple All-Pro accolades, played for 15+ years, and now has a ring - and played at a very high level even at the late stage of his career

Does he get in, and how do you stack him against his peers like Jason Peters, Joe Staley, Duane Brown, Trent Williams who have all had good long careers (I'm not including Joe Thomas - who is obviously a class ahead of all the others)?

Probably not. Lineman don’t get a ton of credit for rings to begin with the way QB’s do. He’s Hall of Very Good 

He had some seasons where he was contending with Williams/Peters, no? Behind Thomas, though. 

Given his peak, longevity, and consistency, I don’t know if I’d be dead set against it. Although, I might be misremembering his peak. 

I’d say in a quiet year with no stand outs and backlogs to clear, maybe. I can’t really see anyone he’d deserve to get in over from the notable names retiring - I’d put in pretty much every finalist who didn’t get in this cycle in ahead of him. You also have guys who are going to get up for votes on or around the same time that’ll get in ahead of him (Brady, Brees, Rivers, Ben etc). Then you have guys who’ll probably retire in a year or so and get in ahead of him (Rodgers, Watt, Peterson, Sherman, etc). If a contemporary such as Duane Brown or Jason Peters retires in the next year, it gets even murkier for him. 

It’s going to be a bit of a wait for Whit - but given how his career ended (Walter Payton Man of the Year and SB Winner) I don’t think he cares.

I’ll end on this - the WPMOY might be a big reason he gets in earlier than I anticipate. He’s been consistently good, but the character he displays off the field is a big component that many of us aren’t really factoring in to this equation. The voters love that sort of stuff (as they should).

Walking off as WPMOY might hold weight that an additional All Pro would have had in his career.

• Like 1

He's a two time first team all pro and a one time second team all pro. He also has a man of the year award now as well. That's giong to be pretty close, but until Willie Anderson gets in, that may be a no. 

He and Joe Staley are both pretty close; I'd give an edge to Whitworth and wouldn't have issues if either got in. 

• Like 1

Borderline due to the longevity and consistent dominance. The team accolades, character, and being such a major player in LA's turnaround won't hurt him. Ultimately, I'd love to see him get in because of what a great guy he is and what he meant to my squad, but I can't say he has a slam-dunk case.

• Like 1