GB free agency 2022

squire12

1 minute ago, Outpost31 said:

Yeah, Wisconsin sucks because of the weather. Otherwise I figure it’s a lot like North Dakota, which, for three months out of the year, is the best state in the country.

For someone like me.

Make that 6 months for here and I totally agree! 

7 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

Opinions are nice, however you wonder why some are butt hurt when you trashed everything about Wisconsin.  LOL .. good thing you left I guess and found paradise.

I said I didn't like it, didn't say it was a **** hole or a dump or anything like that.  

And I most definitely have not found paradise lol.

Edited by MaximusGluteus

28 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

The landscape that wasn't flattened by glaciers. The flat farmland was caused by glaciation flattening everything, so the driftless area has significantly more topography.

I grew up in the Kettle Moraine area.  Awesome rolling hill country.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, wgbeethree said:

I swear we have this conversation every year during free agency.

GB is a quarter the size of the next smallest NFL city, the weather in winter sucks, and there's no culture/diversity. It's clearly low on the totem pole for desirability as far as destinations go for most NFL players. 

They almost all tend to love it once they get there but very few are excited by the idea of it.

Why are these two always grouped together???
if drinking beer, eating brats, and singing roll out the barrel in camouflage isn’t culture, I don’t know what is. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nick_gb said:

Facts, has he never been to Madison? Food there is 👌👌👌

Madison has some good food and there are pockets in the Midwest that have good food ( Chicago for example) or local spots but the food in the Midwest is the worst aspect of living here. Dosent compare to the coasts or many places abroad for the most part.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

Not disagreeing necessarily, but that is the essence and magic of Green Bay and why it’s the most coveted community in the NFL.  The Packers are GB and vice versa.  There’s no equal in the NFL world.  It’s WHY you go to GB.  It’s Mecca, Jerusalem, Vatican City.  Folks don’t go to GB to get a tan, hang at the beach, or for its culinary attributes.  Players either want to play in GB to immerse themselves in football greatness or they don’t.  Same with the fans or tourists.

Some people care about more than just their job. These are rich athletes. I’m sure they’d prefer to live life to the fullest and live in extravagance. They don’t care about the different kinds of cheese that town has to offer. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, incognito_man said:

You are sensitive that people corrected you. You stated something incorrect and were corrected. That's all that happened.

It’s someone’s opinion. It’s not something you can “correct,” especially not by being combative when he wasn’t being that way in the first place. He’s right. Some of you are sensitive as hell

• Like 2

17 hours ago, incognito_man said:

Partly true. But I've spent a lot of time in GB and there are a lot of folks who choose to live there over more popular places they've previously lived. I debated moving there but didn't simply due to job prospects in my specialized field.

GB is a gateway to the U.P. and Door County and weirdly gets undeserved crap for dining options. GB area has options that surpass Madison, for sure. 

It's a place where someone who appreciates non-crowded access to some incredible nature and sufficient excellent dining options would happily call home. Many many people don't care about bumping nightclubs or frequent entertainment/concert access in their hometowns. Those are events for most are totally fine to travel for.

People who crap on living in GB either have very very different values from the amazing people who do and/or have never actually spent any REAL time in the area. 

It's absolutely more than JUST the Packers and has a lot more to offer. It's on a world-class body of water, for staters.

I grew up in GB.  It is absolutely lovely in the summer.  There are a lot of things going on and it is the gateway to Door County and the Northwoods.  But unless you are a skier, like to ice fish or snowmobile there isn't much to do in the winter and most folks are indoors most of the time.  The only time the sun was out it was colder than hell.  It wasn't until after my hubby retired that we moved to a warmer climate.

For the professional athlete if you pay them enough and your team is decent they will come.  There are only so many jobs available in the NFL.  Most of the time our players will resign if the money is there.  A guy like Adams wanted to go play with his buddy and his favorite team growing up.  It will be interesting to see how successful the Raiders will be in the AFCW this coming season.

Guess it's all a matter of perspective.  Lived in Green Bay for a couple of years.  Loved it.  Small town very little crime spread out and minutes from the countryside.  Now living in Door County.  For a young guy coming out of college it's a nice easy transition to GB.  Plenty of nightlife and pretty girls.  Great place to raise a family. 

As far as climate it's not really that bad.  MN, DET, Cle, Buff, NY, NE plenty of cold weather teams. Can see the stigma of small town etc but think once these players get here it's really not that bad.  As far as signing FA's bigger factor is money and the chance to win a ring.  If the Packers were cellar dwellers it would be much more difficult.  As it is right now Packers are always in the mix and get a lot of national exposure.  It isn't like the 70's and 80's anymore. 

10 hours ago, MaximusGluteus said:

I said I didn't like it, didn't say it was a **** hole or a dump or anything like that.  

And I most definitely have not found paradise lol.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion. I can see how the State of Wisconsin just wouldn't be for some, the weather (especially the past couple years) has been completely bipolar, one day it's in the mid 40's in the winter and the next it's in the negatives. You have to travel a bit of distance to get a quality night life that isn't just going to a local bar and getting to know locals. I get it, trust me. If it wasn't for you, it wasn't for you. Just as I'm sure it's not for a lot of multi-millionaires in the prime of their lives. Nothing wrong with that. It's just an unfortunate truth.

For me though and I may be out of pocket here. Green Bay is a place for professional athletes who are self aware. They're aware that they're a professional before they're a multi-million dollar athlete in the prime of their youth. That Green Bay is a place that allows you to focus on your craft / profession and mitigates the distractions that a city like Miami, Las Vegas, New York or LA would provide them. 

I truly believe that the reason Green Bay has predominantly been a draft and develop team, is because they're also aware of this. They're aware they'll have a harder time pulling top notch Athletes here if bigger market cities are also in play (Depending on the Athlete). It's also why I believe we're a bit more successful in this department than other teams. With less distraction and more ability to focus on fine tuning your craft and putting in that extra work to get to that 2nd or 3rd contract it helps. 

Edited by Nick_gb
  • Like 2

Haven't been up there enough to debate whether a player would like to live there or not, but I've been to Wisconsin once in my 20s during a cross country road trip. Came from the east in January, drove up the little narrow highway to GB and did the "Packers fan tourist" thing. Stadium tour, are at the restaurant, Packers HOF, etc.  Enjoyed the time there. 

Then drove down to Milwaukee for the night to crash at a friend's place and hit the local scene. Freakin love that city. Been wanting to come back ever since. One of the best experiences I've ever had in a city ever.  

Edited by Sandy

9 hours ago, Arthur Penske said:

Why are these two always grouped together???
if drinking beer, eating brats, and singing roll out the barrel in camouflage isn’t culture, I don’t know what is. 

So is drinkin' Mountain Dew, hittin' on cousins, playin' banjos and makin' people squeal like a pig but doesn't mean I want to live or play football in the Appalachians