Rodgers reportedly coming back

Arthur Penske

6 hours ago, Les Punting said:

Sure, "open" is somewhat subjective, but ultimately it's just an estimate of separation. The overall numbers could be skewed but the rankings shouldn't be. 

With Adams and MVS both out the door, that number could push significantly higher in '22.

Leading the league in frequency of "nowhere to go with the football" is an indictment of both talent and play design. Gute and MLF have work to do.

This has been refuted by the Next Gen Stats data. 

PFF be trolling for clicks. 

• 1 month later...

I'm starting to lean towards this being Rodgers' last season. He saw the 375M broadcasting deal that Brady signed and is trying to sharpen his all-around image to hopefully land a similar type of deal from one of the networks. The question is would he have the same mainstream appeal from a network that Brady has. I don't know, but maybe.    

13 minutes ago, R T said:

I'm starting to lean towards this being Rodgers' last season. He saw the 375M broadcasting deal that Brady signed and is trying to sharpen his all-around image to hopefully land a similar type of deal from one of the networks. The question is would he have the same mainstream appeal from a network that Brady has. I don't know, but maybe.    

I don't think he does.  

Comes off as too aloof.  

35 minutes ago, R T said:

He’s pretty antinarrative, antimedia, anti____. I think he likes what McAffee is doing but just can’t see him playing the scripted role of an ”analyst”. Then again, for several hundred mil there are a lot of things he might do. 

Finally got a chance to listen to the Rodgers interview. 

• He said the deal was done for cap reasons, to free up space for other veterans.  
  • He was clear that he would end with the Packers.  
  • He was pretty clear that he didn't have a fixed plan for when to finish.  
  • Said *IF* they won it this year, one-year might be go-out-on-top
  • Said *IF* they didn't, maybe the competitive fires would be burning and he'd want to continue.  
  • I think that totally makes sense:  Why decide now?  Who knows how the season will go and how you'll feel?  
  • Can't recall his phrasing, but basically said he didn't want to play as a bad player.  So doesn't want to play as a washed-up guy.  
  • Also said that even if it was his last year, he wouldn't want to go through a retirement-tour year anyway.  
  • He said it was kind of a one-year deal, then a kinda two-year, then one-year.  

I think it all pretty much makes sense.  He's got his preferred scenario for sure:  have a great season, win the Super Bowl, and go out on top.  But that is very improbable, given 31 other teams in the league.  So in the probability that they do NOT go out on top, what then?  He doesn't know, and will again ponder that next summer.  *IF* he feels like he's losing his capacity, either physically or emotionally or mentally, I think he might hang it up.  But *IF* he still feels like he's a capable MVP guy, and *IF* he still feels like the team has a solid chance, he might want to keep playing.  Who can know that now?  

I feel pretty comfortable that both sides were in on the structure, so the "one-year-deal" stuff suggests that *IF* he retires after this year, the Packers will not be taking a $99M cap hit.   

The comment to the effect that it was kinda one-year then two-year, I'm not sure what that might mean if he continued for the 2nd season.  I think there's a good chance that they might do some more re-structuring again at that point?  Seems to me that *IF* he's probably ready to retire should they win this season, and if he's not sure he wants to go longer even if they don't, I don't really see why after a non-championship season he'd immediately be ready to commit to a firm two years.  You'd think he'd want to be comfortably year-by-year and decide each time.  

CWood referred to a "poison pill".  I believe the deal is built so that he's got control, and that the Packers will neither release him not trade him.  He'll leave if/when he wants to, not against his will via trade or release.  

It would be so fun if the injury-bug stayed dormant, the o-line had a big year, and both offense and defense have it all working this season.  

17 hours ago, R T said:

He's stated multiple times he has no interest in broadcasting.

20 hours ago, R T said:

He literally hates the networks and the media. No way he will do broadcasting.

Podcasting or something he controls… sure.

21 hours ago, R T said:

Still think it'll be two for Rodgers. Don't see him retiring the same year as Brady. 

• Like 3

If Rodgers can continue playing at a high level he will play atleast another 3 years before he even considers retirement. I don't know why you guys still believe what he says, the man is a drama queen going through a mid life crisis. Tne only thing consistent about him is his competitive drive. Guys like him and Brady are the type of people you have to drag off the field to get them to retire.

GB keeps drafting Rodgers linemen.  And they got him young receivers this year.  And they have a defense for him.

If he is to stick around, all the pieces are there for a nice 3 year run.  It is kind of on MLF to keep challenging him and finding ways to keep practice and film study interesting to him.