RUSSELL WILSON THREAD

paul-mac

4 hours ago, paul-mac said:

Far from the main point on the Russell Wilson trade but after completely whiffing on our HC search, Allbright whiffed on this too. Less than an hour before the trade was official, he was tipping us to sign Carson Wentz.

Feels like he’s lost a source since we hired Paton. 

He’s always whiffed. He throws a bunch of stuff out then repeats it ad nausea min when he lucks into getting it right. He’s a hack

• Like 1

Can’t emphasize enough how much Wilson only wanting to come to Denver helped reduce the price.   Denver was the only destination out of 14 potential spots he would waive his no trade clause for.  You want a guy who’s that locked in on coming here. 

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Paton never shows his hand.  We get all the rumors, and it all looks certain like getting Rogers, and Paton has everyone looking that way and causing the Packers to break the bank to keep Rogers, all the while Paton is quietly dialed in on Russ.

I just can't get enough of the videos of Wilson talking ball and the videos of him working out with the WRs already. 

Others have mentioned this point, however I really haven't given him enough credit for choosing to come to Denver. How easy it would've been to cherry pick an easier division. Instead, he chose to go toe-to-toe with Mahomes, Herbert and Carr x2 a year.

Bring it all on, man. So pumped for this season. Those divisional games are going to be for the ages.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, lomaxgrUK said:

I just can't get enough of the videos of Wilson talking ball and the videos of him working out with the WRs already. 

Others have mentioned this point, however I really haven't given him enough credit for choosing to come to Denver. How easy it would've been to cherry pick an easier division. Instead, he chose to go toe-to-toe with Mahomes, Herbert and Carr x2 a year.

Bring it all on, man. So pumped for this season. Those divisional games are going to be for the ages.

Those workout videos really feel Peyton-esque dude. We are a real football team again, wow 

• Like 1

On 3/19/2022 at 9:43 PM, bMiller031 said:

Gotta think the Wilson extension lands him right behind AR in AAV.  That Mahomes deal is looking better and better after every signing.

It's also very much a figure that can be altered for the years teams are in win-now mode for at least 4, if not 5 seasons.    Restructures have always been able to create this space, but only gave teams about 2+ seasons of relief.   That's why it was such a bad idea to go that route in Elway's 2013-15 contention years as GM.   But now, GM's have extensions with voidable years - and that really allows teams to push the cap hit that prevents fielding competitive teams, for around 4-5 seasons - and that's only if the draft doesn't create major relief (like the Saints' did in 2017 with their draft - and why they've been on this cycle for well over 5 years now).   

The Rams' extension with Stafford may show 40M AAV - but the cap hit for the next 2 seasons combined is just 33.5M.   In 2024, it becomes 49.5M & in 2025 it's 50M - but if the Rams are still competitive, they'll do the same type of extension as they did this offseason, to push the  2024-25 numbers down (and yes, by then the total team cap will be much higher, too).    The kicker is that once the Rams aren't competitive - they'll eat a TON of dead cap $ - but then it won't matter, since they'll be in a rebuilding mode.    Basically, ATL's decided to finally pack it in and go full rebuild - so they're now doing cap-eating mode.   Expect the same for any team that's been pushing cap hell back, once they're no longer competitive - they just eat a ton of dead cap in the rebuilding year, and then reset.    Tampa just did the same with TB12's return announcement, just with a bunch of other guys on the squad to create more space for 2022 (TB12's contract was re-set last year).

Basically, cap management allows teams to compete for 4+ years all-in, if not 5 years - and each year, they can mitigate future cap hell if they hit the gold mine through the draft.    While it's less likely we'll find a knockout draft class this year or next, we'll be back in full draft capital mode well before our window to compete closes, barring an unforeseen serious injury to Wilson.    Worst-case, cap-wise we'll be able to compete in full win-now mode from 2022-26.      Even when ppl hear Wilson's extension will pay him 40M+ AAV, and see a crazy 2024-25-26 cap number, keep the above in mind - if anything, Wilson's 51M cap hit for 2022-23 will likely go down, and the future bill, while a TON higher, will also be able to be pushed back likely to 2026 or 2027, with a repeat extension before 2024.    The year Wilson retires, that's when the butcher's bill will come due - but then, that's also the time to just reset, and go full rebuild (much like ATL is doing this year in eating Matt Ryan's 40M+ in dead money).

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

So Wilson had a workout with the WR's and TE's last week.  Jeudy couldn't make it because his mom was having an operation.   Twitter went nuts for about 3-4 hours asking where Jeudy was (where ppl found out about Jeudy's mom - and frankly, it's one workout in March).

But rather than just let the dust settle, Wilson goes out of his way to post this last night on his own:

So not only does he arrange to bring in Jeudy to get work in and build the connection - he's the one posting this first on Twitter, basically to completely shut down the Twitter trolls who went after Jeudy last week.

I don't know how fans can't help but love Wilson as a team leader.  Not only is he going out of his way to get everyone on the same page for on-the-field with the extra workouts, his EQ is off-the-charts to look out for Jeudy here on social media.   Sooner or later this would come out, but Wilson posting right away was done to show he & Jeudy were catching up on lost time, and basically putting an exclamation point on ending any issue here.   That's going the extra mile. 

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 7

• 1 month later...
28 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

we're 0-9 against Mahomes since he's been there. Russell Wilson is 1-0 against Mahomes. I think it's starting to hit me about where the team is headed. The schedule release show Thursday when I see all our prime time games it really will.

And just where is that?

3 hours ago, AKRNA said:

And just where is that?

competing for division titles, and playoff births. Of course I'm dreaming bigger, but for once it be nice if the end of the regular season wasn't the end of our season. It's been a long drought feels like forever.