RUSSELL WILSON THREAD

paul-mac

34 minutes ago, BullsandBroncos said:

Lol funny how many people are even trying to say Russ isn't top 10

So, Alaska is home to about the most fanatical Seahawk fanbase in the US. These folks are nuts, season ticket holders, flying to every home game and a few away games every year. I know a handful of the rabid ones and many more of the "normal" fans. 

They're pretty pleased about the trade. I've only talked to 3 so far but I'll do some phone connecting this evening.

So far the consensus is that he's just been beat up every game for too long and it's taken it's toll. They don't consider him top 10 anymore.

• Like 1

I’ve seen some stats on the twitter, I think from NextGen, and over the last 3 years, Russ has been the best QB in football at “rhythm” throws, which are defined as passes thrown between 2.5-4 seconds after the snap (so think a full dropback, and hitting your first or second read). But over that time, he’s only slightly above average overall (like 18th out of 42 in total EPA). I think the simplest takeaway here is that quick hitters and hero-ball attempts have been a huge negative in his game lately, and so I’ll be fascinated to see how Hackett moulds the offence around what Russ does best. I’m sure the Broncos’ analytics department will have these numbers dissected intently. 

Food for thought, if we could even get our offense up to 20ppg, last year we would have won 10 games. Granted I think we will see a dropoff in our defense this year, we don't exactly have to shoot up to the moon to be in decent position for the playoffs next year.

5 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

I’ve seen some stats on the twitter, I think from NextGen, and over the last 3 years, Russ has been the best QB in football at “rhythm” throws, which are defined as passes thrown between 2.5-4 seconds after the snap (so think a full dropback, and hitting your first or second read). But over that time, he’s only slightly above average overall (like 18th out of 42 in total EPA). I think the simplest takeaway here is that quick hitters and hero-ball attempts have been a huge negative in his game lately, and so I’ll be fascinated to see how Hackett moulds the offence around what Russ does best. I’m sure the Broncos’ analytics department will have these numbers dissected intently. 

To add to this, the other top top elite rhythm passer over the last 3 years is Aaron Rodgers. Since those guys apparently have some of the same strengths, it’d be cool if we had a guy creating Russ’s new offence who helped get the most out of Rodgers these past few years…

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

So, Alaska is home to about the most fanatical Seahawk fanbase in the US. These folks are nuts, season ticket holders, flying to every home game and a few away games every year. I know a handful of the rabid ones and many more of the "normal" fans. 

They're pretty pleased about the trade. I've only talked to 3 so far but I'll do some phone connecting this evening.

So far the consensus is that he's just been beat up every game for too long and it's taken it's toll. They don't consider him top 10 anymore.

Do they think Lock is an upgrade?

1 hour ago, broncosfan_101 said:

Yeah, it speaks to the 2 big weaknesses that affect Wilson - holding on the ball too long and taking a sack, or putting the ball at risk with the hero attempts.   It should be noted that Carroll putting the clamps on the O until it's late, it tends to accentuate those problems, but also fair to say Wilson has to own his share (ESPECIALLY the part about sacks with Russ holding on to the ball for 4+ secs, that's all on the QB).

Now, he does pull pure magic out of his hat at other times, too.    Back in the days when he had Beast Mode and Doug Baldwin/Lockett, 2 guys who could improvise AND a real threat in the run game, with his scrambling, he thrived despite Carroll's leash and the vanilla/simple scheme (instead of the atrocity of a run game that was SEA's until Rashaad Penny took over last 4-5 games - what it was with Carson's corpse and the others was an abomination).   If that last line of thriving despite Carroll's game management / vanilla scheme sounds familiar, it should - think Elway / Dan Reeves.

"Let Russell cook" was a theme for 2019-20 because it was so clear that Carroll & the O scheme were dreadfully simple, and predictable.   It doesn't change the fact that Wilson needs to find balance with trying to make the hero play EVERY time....but on the flip side, we're not going to be a run, run, pass team, either.    I have zero problem with balance, the best O's use it - but they excel in both the pass game and run game, and they profit from unpredictability.    We had a dysfunctional pass game and were completely predictable the last 3+ years - SEA was awful in the run game (pre-Penny), and were uber-predictable.   The difference in SEA all these past few years is Russell Wilson.   As long as Hackett's scheme doesn't become predictable, with our weapons - yeah, I have zero problem with projecting 4-5 peak years of Russell Wilson, elite, top 6-8 level play with health.  

3 things to be excited about our O:

1.  Jeudy had the largest separation per target.   Teddy & Lock just didn't exploit using him (the film showed this in spades).   And not just with not going there to him, but also with placement - hitting a guy in stride, so they can max out the YAC.   Wilson is excellent in that regard (duh).   

2.   Sutton's going to have his full explosion back after 18 months post-ACL repair.   I hammered for fans to temper expectations on Sutton this year because year 1 post-ACL doesn't have full explosion, and when you combine it with QB's that can't throw great 50-50 or accurate deep balls, or under pressure - well, Sutton's going to love having Wilson throw to him on 50-50 and RZ balls.

3.   With a mobile QB who's a true dual threat - the run game always benefits.   Javonte Williams in the RZ with Wilson RPO/keeper/PA threat?   Yessir, sign me up.

Honestly, it's nothing but good news when projecting for 2022...can't wait!

Edited by Broncofan

5 minutes ago, The Helicopter said:

Do they think Lock is an upgrade?

The naysayers on this board about Wilson don't think Lock is an upgrade but rather that Wilson is washed or at least severely on the decline and had significantly better weapons on Seattle. I'm not going to pretend I watched ever Seahawks game, I didn't. But the ones I did see, he didn't strike me as washed...he looked pretty damn good compared to the trash we've been trotting out year after year. Completely disagree about the weapons too. 

1 hour ago, BroncoBruin said:

In this case, three 1sts + multiple Day 2 picks + young player assets who are valuable. They only gave up two 1sts and didn’t give up any of the 2019-2021 draft picks you were actually afraid to lose. Still hang on to both 3rds. It’s a fantastic deal. 

This sums it up well.

Think about what we're giving up:

• 1.9 - We were likely to use it on a rookie QB anyway. 
  • 2023 1st - Will be in the 22-32 range most likely
  • 2022/23 2nds
  • Lock - didn't want him
  • Harris - a good player, but not irreplaceable. With our DL struggles, it hurts, but he's not the same player
  • Fant - physical specimen with good stats, but without great impact. He's a good player, but I'd rather it be Fant traded than Albert O & any of our WR.

It was a big haul. No one is denying that, but even our skeptical members here like the trade. 

If you think Wilson is no longer top 10, yeah it's insane, but I don't buy that at all. He's still easily top 10. Even with the injury, he had a better rating than Stafford (5th overall). 

• Like 2

Well, any idea that Wilson didn't want this....lulz.   He ran to the podium to clear his physical.    Think we'll get stories that he specifically asked to go to Denver when it's all said and done.

Edited by Broncofan