RUSSELL WILSON THREAD

paul-mac

7 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Well, any idea that Wilson didn't want this....lulz.   He ran to the podium to clear his physical.    Think we'll get stories that he specifically asked to go to Denver when it's all said and done.

Court and Von were smokin cigars on the golf course two hours before the news broke. I’m certain Russ was already in Denver or had the flight booked at that time already. 

9 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

Court and Von were smokin cigars on the golf course two hours before the news broke. I’m certain Russ was already in Denver or had the flight booked at that time already. 

Confirmed how much Wilson wanted to come here.  Only team he’d waive his no trade clause for.   Explains a lot on avoiding the 3rd 1st rd pick. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, The Helicopter said:

Do they think Lock is an upgrade?

That didn't even come up. Wilson is a definite upgrade for us, no doubt. 

The consensus is that his best days are well behind him with the reason being, between sacks and running plays he's been hit as many times as Elway, and more than Brady. I did some checking and most NFL QB's are around 4-5 times a game. Wilson is over 8. Lots of wear on those tires. 

I think those saying we should get 5 good years from him are being incredibly optomistic.

I'd just like to temper the enthusiasm a bit with reality. Last year was his first in the league with just one game winning drive. He averages 4 and had zero 4th qtr comebacks. His QBR dropped 13 points from last year to the lowest of his career.

Anyway, we'll see how it works out. What I'm told is we're watching a scrambling QB who's losing his wheels.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AKRNA said:

So, Alaska is home to about the most fanatical Seahawk fanbase in the US. These folks are nuts, season ticket holders, flying to every home game and a few away games every year. I know a handful of the rabid ones and many more of the "normal" fans. 

They're pretty pleased about the trade. I've only talked to 3 so far but I'll do some phone connecting this evening.

So far the consensus is that he's just been beat up every game for too long and it's taken it's toll. They don't consider him top 10 anymore.

Totally get that different people say different things but I live in Seattle and this is the opposite of what I’m hearing.  Hawks fans I know are devastated. 

They blame all the recent misfortune on Carroll’s play calling, Schneider’s ineptitude in the draft, and an aging top-heavy roster that hasn’t been built to Russ’ strengths. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, bMiller031 said:

Totally get that different people say different things but I live in Seattle and this is the opposite of what I’m hearing.  Hawks fans I know are devastated. 

They blame all the recent misfortune on Carroll’s play calling, Schneider’s ineptitude in the draft, and an aging top-heavy roster that hasn’t been built to Russ’ strengths. 

The Hawks FF forum isn’t active but you can see the distress/frustration on Reddit is palpable

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 7DnBrnc53 said:

Again, Denver had to go outside to get a franchise QB. That has been the tradition, and it continues today.

The only homegrown QB that worked out was Elway, and he wasn't even drafted by the organization.

That’s crazy to think about 

18 hours ago, BullsandBroncos said:

Lol funny how many people are even trying to say Russ isn't top 10

Well, to be fair, I don't think Wilson can touch the top 5 guys:

TIERS

Mahomes

Allen

ARod (yes, he's a diva, but yes, he's still this good)

__________GAP____________

Herbert (man, he's close)

Burrow (the context of how bad his OL was really elevates him)

After that, you can make arguments IMO.   Stafford is someone I absolutely saw in this 6-10 range (more like 6-8).  Dak belongs here as well, but man, he's underwhelmed at key times.  Similar theme for Kyler (who's especially baffling, because vs. pressure he's just awful).   But I can make arguments for why they'd be ahead of Wilson.

After that, it's hard to tell me who you'd want - Cousins has made AMAZING progress in the last 1.5 seasons.  But he's still not there yet IMO.   Now I know TB12 was obv in the top tier, but he's gone. 

So yeah, I guess some ppl could say they don't think Wilson is top 10 - but they'd be taking guys like Matt Ryan (who's very much in decline phase the last 2 years), JimmyG (who's unbelievably limited).   Now, there's always a 2nd year guy (Trevor?  Lance?) who could make this phoenix-like rise.   

The 2H of 2021, with Wilson coming back at least 2-3 weeks too soon from his mallet finger injury, combined with the atrocity of a Carroll-game management / inept run game / vanilla predictability - it's recency bias.   Now, to be upfront - if Wilson's learned bad habits with his sack-taking and TO-worthy plays that doesn't change with a scheme that "lets Russ Cook" again - sure, there's always some risk. 

But the 2020 1H tape also doesn't lie - and unlike Stafford in 2020 (where his back was a concern, and the one thing that could limit his excellent career), there's no major long-term health flag, either.   

So yeah, I'm firmly in the "he's in that 6-8. elite 3rd tier" group...which is exactly the needed threshold to beat the best teams, the best QB's.    FWIW, I decided to put up a Main Forum topic - if for nothing else, ppl can plant their flag, and put their reasoning down lol.

Edited by Broncofan

2 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

Sorry Teddy couldn't get it done for you guys.

He's a real solid QB, but Wilson is a clear upgrade. Good luck this season!

IMO Teddy isn't physically capable of being a starting NFL QB. He looked great the first few weeks (against terrible teams, but still) ... he got dinged up and then was his worst self the rest of the season. Just don't think he has the body/athleticism mixed with the arm/feel talent he has. Great guy and did string together the best QB play we have had for the most part. 

have not posted yet. LFG. George Paton optimists so vindicated 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Well, to be fair, I don't think Wilson can touch the top 5 guys:

TIERS

Mahomes

Allen

ARod (yes, he's a diva, but yes, he's still this good)

__________GAP____________

Herbert (man, he's close)

Burrow (the context of how bad his OL was really elevates him)

I'm with you on the top tier - Maholmes, Allen, Rodgers. 

But I would most certainly put Wilson in the next tier. If you're going to put Herbert there, who has yet to even play in a playoff game, then you have to put Wilson there, who is 9-7 in the playoffs, is a two-time NFC Champion and has a ring. Fantastic as Herbert is, it's not like his team is bereft of a supporting cast - they are stacked on both sides of the ball - so you can't say that's the reason he hasn't been to playoffs. In his first two seasons, Russ was 4-1 in the playoffs and won a Super Bowl, had over 1,000 yards passing a 6:1 TD:INT ratio. 

I'd put Wilson in the second tier, along with Herbert and Burrow. I'd maybe put Lamar in that tier as well, he has a skillset that is unlike any other in the league.

I'd take Russ over Dak, Stafford, Kyler, Cousins, Watson, Carr, JimmyG, Lawrence, Hurts, Ryan, anyone else you can list as a "franchise" QB. 

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I'm with you on the top tier - Maholmes, Allen, Rodgers. 

But I would most certainly put Wilson in the next tier. If you're going to put Herbert there, who has yet to even play in a playoff game, then you have to put Wilson there, who is 9-7 in the playoffs, is a two-time NFC Champion and has a ring. Fantastic as Herbert is, it's not like his team is bereft of a supporting cast - they are stacked on both sides of the ball - so you can't say that's the reason he hasn't been to playoffs. In his first two seasons, Russ was 4-1 in the playoffs and won a Super Bowl, had over 1,000 yards passing a 6:1 TD:INT ratio. 

I'd put Wilson in the second tier, along with Herbert and Burrow. I'd maybe put Lamar in that tier as well, he has a skillset that is unlike any other in the league.

I'd take Russ over Dak, Stafford, Kyler, Cousins, Watson, Carr, JimmyG, Lawrence, Hurts, Ryan, anyone else you can list as a "franchise" QB. 

Part of the ranks is where you see them going forward from 2022.  It’s hard not to project Herbert / Burrow ascending into the top tier esp when you factor how bad CIN’s OL was.   

But the larger point is that Wilson IMO easily meets the threshold of being at the skill level you want to beat the best teams and best QB.  Whether it’s 5,6,8.   The tier of talent matters more.   Just like how Stafford was at that level.  Someday there could be 12 guys good enough to beat the best.   Don’t think it’s more than 8-9 guys now with TB12 retired but point being Wilson comfortably there. 

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

Sorry Teddy couldn't get it done for you guys.

He's a real solid QB, but Wilson is a clear upgrade. Good luck this season!

29 minutes ago, champ11 said:

IMO Teddy isn't physically capable of being a starting NFL QB. He looked great the first few weeks (against terrible teams, but still) ... he got dinged up and then was his worst self the rest of the season. Just don't think he has the body/athleticism mixed with the arm/feel talent he has. Great guy and did string together the best QB play we have had for the most part. 

have not posted yet. LFG. George Paton optimists so vindicated 

The other part is that Teddy won’t make the hero plays that win games.  He can’t or won’t see the window to make the key throws that win games on his own.    He won’t lose many games because of his play but he won’t win extra games either.   And against good teams that’s a recipe for failure as an org.  

• Like 1